Clemson Class of 2024

Thanks. I will mention it to him but that isn’t his style. He is very much a “if they want me fine, if they don’t that’s fine”. Plus he asked me before he found out if I would be mad if he got accepted and turned it down.

Thanks. Stupid question, though. This site says…“Application: None required. After acceptance to RISE, program residents will receive communication from RISE staff during the summer and at orientation. Be sure to check your new Clemson email address for this information.”

If there is no application, how does one get accepted to RISE?

When a students applies for housing they list RISE as their first choice. Assuming space is available they will then choose a rise dorm room and be enrolled in RISE as long as the payment for the program is made.

Housing is based on application date but I think there are about 800 slots for RISE so I don’t know if anyone gets declined.

@twinmommy Here is book that gives an overview of the top Public university honors programs based on multiple categories. Very extensive review. Relatively inexpensive on amazon. $17 or so

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwi8vPP2r-XnAhUEheAKHblHBEYQFjABegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublicuniversityhonors.com%2Fyes-we-have-a-book%2F&usg=AOvVaw1kJSvW_E-nm2DtjQTxVpfz

@86grad my D18 lived in honors her freshman year and the way those dorms (albeit very nice) are laid out is not conducive to meeting others. They had a two bedroom suite. There is a door off the hall that opens into a shower on one side and a toilet area on the other. Then each double bedroom had a separate door. She never really got to know other kids on her floor. No one ever had their doors open and with not sharing a bathroom, no real interaction with other students. Maybe it was just my daughter but both my wife and I thought a regular old fashion dorm with a shared bathroom would have been better for meeting others especially as OOS who know no one when she started

@burghdad That is what I have been thinking. Glad for the perspective of someone who has a student there. My son is going to try and get in the high rise dorms, whether he joins RISE or not.

I know things are different now, but I made lifelong friends from people I met on my dorm hall. I think the old style just gives my son a better chance to make friends.

Did anyone get a document in the mail stating that they were invited to the Orange Carpet Reception? It says that there are extra exclusive scholarships for those who attend. Does anyone have any extra information for the event?

@kd3304
@sctigermama3
My son has been looking for performing arts kids on the Clemson 2024 Facebook page but not finding any. Are there other places where these kids are connecting?

@Roxnyny I think there are snap chat groups. If he looks through the student Facebook posts, you’ll see kids posted their info for invites. D20 is more of a Discord kid, so she hasn’t joined yet.

I think I need to start my own Clemson thread for a “regular” kid! My D hasn’t decided on a school yet but she was offered no Honors, no merit, not invited to a special event and we don’t qualify for financial aid.
Anyone else out there who was offered nothing like us?

My daughter was accepted to Clemson for engineering and Calhoun Honors and received what I think is the top merit award of 12k for OOS. She loves everything about Clemson. The only problem is we are from Tennessee and she can attend UTK for free and their engineering program is ranked higher than Clemson. Clemson will cost us 42k a year. We have saved enough money for her to do either. She has multiple better offers financially from other schools but I think her heart is with Clemson. I think she feels like Clemson does not want her a much as other schools based on the low merit money this year. Too, we have told our kids they can have the excess college money if they do not use it. Any thoughts would be appreciated

If she has an opportunity for free education I’d say do that…

Just got my big orange packet in the mail!! I was waitlisted but changed my major from nursing to psychology last week because nursing was already full and low and behold I get my fall acceptance a week later!

I would agree to this as long as she’s excited about it, as well. If she dreads going to the free option, then it might be worth the money to go elsewhere. Most students don’t do well at a college that they aren’t excited about being at.

Does anybody know if its possible to change your Clemson username after you’ve set it up?

@HokieCrazy
You have a very good point. My D was accepted last night into our state school(UConn) so we’d at least have instate tuition but we live 35 minutes away and the area has nothing going on so she has never wanted to go there…
But the decision is up to her because we have the money to send her to UConn but if she chooses an OOS school that’s more than that she needs to take out loans to make up the difference. She’s very frugal when it comes to money so not 100% sure she’d be willing to do that…to be continued…

@fearless65 Congratulations! Glad to hear the waitlist is moving. Did you change your major by emailing admissions or through application portal?

@ChemNC i emailed admissions to change it after speaking with them when I visited a week and a half ago

Not complaining - just expressing opinion. But glad you can afford it.