Clemson Class of 2024

Does anyone have any idea when students that apply for reconsideration to the HC are notified with a decision?

We were told they would be notified by April 1st.

@Lafayette01 thank you!

@CONNER1234 ā€“ (my advise, take it or leave it). As a parent I would not pay $42k/year even if you have saved enough to do so. Your daughter has other good options and I would explore those more. Remind her that if she doesnā€™t use all her college money for undergraduate she could use it for graduate school if she needs it (or you can use it for younger siblings). My daughter applied to a lot of schools to see what kind of merit she could get and also hoping to win the lottery on a full-tuition scholarship. She now has a lot of good options, and while I donā€™t think sheā€™s going to go to the school with the cheapest bottom line (itā€™s on the other side of the country) she has several OOS options that will be less than $25k/year (tuition/room&board). All the schools are ranked in the top 117 of Us News and World Reports National Universities, so in my opinion, all good, solid schools. She is looking at it in a pragmatic way instead of an emotional way. She ruled out several schools because they were in the $43k-$46k/year range.

And if the money is in a 529 plan, then it can be used for the next generationā€¦sitting in the stock market for the next 25-30 years of growth. Thatā€™s the reminder that I gave my son. His options are limited at the moment, but still waiting to hear from 4 other schools that are all far more expensive.

It is all a matter of choice. Although my DD has received merit & honors college for all schools we heard back from we knew Clemson was offering more that you could not put a price on.

1 Like

Does anybody have information on social media channels (preferably Snapchat for my son) where he can join in on the conversations around room/roommate selections. Heā€™s trying to determine whether he wants to room at Douthit or RISE and finding a roommate that he likes might sway him one way or the other. His application date is pretty early (mid-August), so hopefully he gets a good choice.

Also, the RISE dorms appear to have funky corner rooms. Are those preferred? They look a little bigger than the others on the floor plan, but wondering if the corner has some drawbacks.

Has he joined the FB group? On the student page the kids are sharing snapchat & making groups. So he has decided to attend Clemson? I know you had posted other schools at one point

Still waiting to hear from a few colleges and weā€™re headed down this weekend to visit Clemson. I think itā€™s currently the top of the list, but who knows what is rattling around in his head. Just wanted to get him connected so he could explore.

@2020vision2025
@CONNER1234
I originally said to go with the free tuition but itā€™s a tough decision. My daughters cheapest option is uconn(our state school) and in state tuition, room and board will be $31,400/yr. No school offered her merit money and we donā€™t qualify for financial aid. So basically all her OOS schools are $45-$50k and then she has UConn which is 35 minutes from our house. She said she doesnā€™t want to spend the money going OOS unless she really, really wants to go to that school. It needs to check every box and more. She likes UConn but the fact that itā€™s so close is a problem for her because she admits that if sheā€™s having a bad day or bored on the weekends that she would want to come home or have us come up. But if sheā€™s far, it would force her to get out there and figure it out for herself. And itā€™s not that easy to say no to your kid when they are having a hard time so if sheā€™s close to home Iā€™d cave. But then again, it would be better for her to not have loans.

Here is my two cents: please know we are in state for UCONN. My DD received merit from all schools & honors college, from all schools we have heard from so far. With that (Ī© being said, when this process began before the first application went out or we visited a school we decided what we could afford assuming no merit was awarded & we are not eligible for financial aid. We used that as our guide. Although at the moment UCONN would be the cheapest, we have decided on Clemson.

I really struggle with kids going into debt for undergraduate degrees. There is no guarantee no matter what school you attend that you will get a job. I say stick with UCONN

@CollegeorBustNE
I have a feeling sheā€™ll go to UConn but she wants to wait another few weeks and see what happens with her deferred schools.

@jmsstb where was she deferred?

@CollegeorBustNE
NC State
OSU
Minnesota
UD

Does anyone know if there is another decision date or wave approaching? My daughter applied after the priority deadline (end of January) and with no portal to check we feel a little in the dark. Thanks for any info you can share!

Throwing in my 2 cents. Any difference in these schools (I donā€™t know anything about UCONN) when it comes to AP credits earned? Do they offer a 5-year Masters that perhaps could be obtained in less than 5 years? As youā€™ve noted, itā€™s hard to go into serious debt for an undergraduate degree, but a Masters might change things.

Also, Clemsonā€™s placement services are ranked Top 3 by Princeton Review just about every year. So, thatā€™s something to consider, as well.

HokieCrazy, my son joined the Facebook page, but mostly girls from what he said.

If this weekend goes well, heā€™ll have to create himself a Facebook account, then. LOL. After all, ā€œFacebook is for boomers!ā€

Lol, mine signed up for that reason only. Hasnā€™t looked at again since he realized, heā€™s probably not going to find a roommate on there.

OOS, high stats, accepted to honors. no doubt this is a great place, but price tag not justified. I think they will loose a ton of great applicants. good luck to those that can attend. Better options for less debt. sad