Clemson Class of 2024

@pghmom72 I am in Wexford so it takes a little longer for me than for you.

@jmsstb we live in Southeast Pa and are about 45 min from U DE. Have visited twice and visited Clemson once. Both are her top choices of school. Personally I think Clemson is for her but factors such as Distance and Money are the differences - HUGE differences. So many kids from her HS are going to U D which gives it a CON in her eyes. We are hoping if she chooses Clemson, enough people from Mid Atlantic region are there that she can carpool home. Flying all the time is not an option - especially if she gives up the scholarship at U D. The difference in price is a yearā€™s tuition. Thatā€™s pretty huge. She will be absolutely happy at either school. She is so lucky to be in a Win Win situation and I should not lament about it at all. So many other kids are not as fortunate. This seems to be the only bright spot in my 2020 Seniorā€™s year. I now we are all in this together. I really appreciate all the comments and advice. Information helps.

Hey all - my son has decided to accept his Clemson offer! Heā€™s still on 4 waitlists, so that might change, BUT, I have a couple of questions for those of you that can help me out.

We put our deposit in this morning, which I now need to wait to make its way through the system so he can register for housing (correct?). How long did that really take for others?

We looked at our FA page, as well, because we want to decline the loan portion. He has 2 merit scholarships listed as ā€œacceptedā€. Is the drop down to decline that is on that page JUST for the loan portion? I wouldnā€™t want to accidentally decline the merit scholarship. That page is not very intuitive.

Can anybody explain the math entrance test? I see things about using SAT scores (he got an 800 on his Math) or AP (he got a 5 on his AB Calc and still has to take his BC Calc), but I also see that other pages say it is required. Then, it says you can take it multiple times online, but that it must be proctored by a Clemson personā€¦so does that mean he has to go to Clemson to take it? I canā€™t find a consistent message about whether he needs to take it and where/when.

Otherwiseā€¦weā€™re pretty excited that he finally made a decision! LOL!

@HokieCrazy
First of all Congrats to your son! What an exciting time!

I can help with two of your questions.

1. After you pay the initial deposit it takes about 24 hours for the system to update so you can get into the housing portal. (Ours was only about 7 hours, but they say 24 is more typical.) In my opinion the housing portal is good until you start the search for roommates and then it really slows. We have gotten several messages on the portal that were mistakes, sent when someone read my DS's profile.
  2. For the FA part; once you get to the graph 'Award Package for Financial Aid Year 2020 - 2021' each line of the graph below will allow you to accept or decline it. You can only do one line at a time, so you should be able to easily choice to deny the loan. (If I can do it any one can since I am not computer savvy.) It took a few clicks to get to the correct page, but it was obvious once you got there.

Go Tigers!

@mathgeek1414
We can relate. I saw my Dā€™s high school college decisions FB page and so many are majoring in engineering and going to either uconn(35 mins away from us) or Penn State which is a definite con for her too. She wants a fresh start meeting new people. Iā€™ve heard from kids my oldest graduated with and went to UConn say half the dorm was people from high school and also how they only hang out with people they knew from high school.
But another problem is the money. With no merit or financial aid and my husband worried his salary is going to be cut because heā€™s a non essential employee I donā€™t know if itā€™s the best idea sending her OOS right now. To be determinedā€¦

@jmsstb
I am in CT and have visited only twice (spent 5 days total). We have both posted on UCONN page. Feel free to contact me.

Does that mean the housing portal lets you find a roommate and having conversations on the portal? Thanks for this information, I will keep an eye out until the deposit goes through.

Ok, what I think was confusing for us is that he had 3 items available, 2 were accepted already and the bottom one was waiting for a decision, so the ā€œAccept/Declineā€ box looked like it was related to all 3, not just the last one. Thank you!

Can somebody please help me?!!?

I applied to Clemson January 7th and their admission office says they do rolling admissions and you will hear back within a few weeks and I have still not heard anything! I canā€™t call the admissionā€™s office because everything is closed! Does anyone have any idea when I should hear back?

This is causing me so much anxiety as this is one of my top choices! Please help!
Thank you!!

@HokieCrazy Yes, they can leave each other messages on the housing portal, form roommate groups and then pick according to whichever roommate has the earliest ā€˜drawā€™ time. The system seems a tad bit clumsy to me. I did notice that a lot of the females were posting on the FB and IG pages, but for a son like mine there has not been a ton of information out there for roommates.

I also meant to tell you that we were told every single incoming student must take the math test so Clemson can place them in the appropriate class. (Apparently several students did not take math their senior year or took through alternative means and were having a hard time adjusting to college math so this is the rule.) Does that make sense? I was told the test os short and not hard for most students who are ā€˜currently taking an advanced math classā€™.

@gracenelsss Have you emailed the admissions department yet? They were very responsive for us and are working from home. Good luck!

@HokieCrazy congratulation on your sons decision. Obviously it was tough for him to go against the ā€œhokie Crazyā€ thing.

As to dorm selection be aware there is great deal of difference with regard to prices. So in addition to him finding a potential roommate make sure you let him know the dorms you are comfortable price wise you are willing to pay for him to live in.

My D18 found her roommate via some Clemson based group chat for accepted students. . If they get a group of 2 or 4 to create a group, if they all join the group they will get a room or suite together.

The selection times are based on the earliest date of application for one of the students.

As to the math test as stated above everyone has to take it before they go to orientation and pick classes. However according to my daughter who was no math wiz it is a really simple test.

@jmsstb - we are in the same boat. DS wants Clemson - but it is by far the most $$ option for him. Got $ from ohio state, penn state, uconn, and the list goes on. And then thereā€™s our home flagship of umass.

My head knows umass or any of the oos publics that gave money are the smart choices. But this college expense is what weā€™ve been saving for, so I hate to say no. A dilemma for sure.

@collegeforus
I do agree with @HokieCrazy that students with do better at a school they are happy it. But we definitely need to weigh the pros and cons of the schools sheā€™s considering. So I really hope social distancing relaxes by the end of April so we can possibly take a road trip to take a look at these schools before the May 1 deadline.

Congratulations!! I know part of your heart was elsewhere & I hope that in time Clemson feels like home to you& your son!

As for declining the student loan, I too have been hesitant to do it wrong & decline her merit award, so I have decided I will call them. I have called them before and they are very helpful.

As for the math placement, I just checked the website and it appears they have created a list of waivers for this year. https://mthsc.clemson.edu/cmpt/view_cmpt_score.py

I am assuming based on our previously interactions on CC your son is exempt from the testing.

GO TIGERS!

@collegeforus when looking at price and stuff you also have to compare programs. Iā€™m also from mass and wanted to get into the UMass business school because it is very competitive and cheap cuz in-state. I didnā€™t get into PSU, OSU, or Umass for business, so I am here with Clemson (the most expensive option). But they are building a new business school and that gives me hope itā€™ll be worth it, I loved everything about the school when I toured it.

Also when comparing schools depending on the program they may have additional department fees. I didnā€™t realize that until I started comparing tuition, room and board and noticed that for my Dā€™s major(engineering) itā€™s an additional $1,250 per semester I think for the engineering program. I looked up PSU as well and for Junior and Senior year itā€™s like an additional $1,900 per semester on top of tuition.

My son has finally narrowed his choices to Clemson and U of SouthCarolina. We were able to tour Clemson last year, but unfortunately not USC. His major will be computer Science. He was accepted into the honors college at USC, but not Clemson. He applied for reconsideration, but apparently missed the priority deadline and wonā€™t get a decision until April 30th. Any opinions on the computer science programs between the two? Job placement after graduation?

He got waitlisted there, so thereā€™s still a chance! :smile:

Heā€™s in RISE, so that pretty much takes care of the dorm choice

As @CollegeorBustNE mentioned, there is a section of exceptions in the FAQ, which makes it very contradictory and confusing. I may email admissions on Monday and see if they can clarify. I would think an 800 math and a 5 on the AP Calc would mean something. But I doubt heā€™ll mind taking it, either.

Sorry if Iā€™m off topic, can someone post the move-in dates for the upcoming Fall 2020 semester, thank you.

@gracenelsss This is the email I got couple days ago:- Applied in Feb.

I just checked on your sons application and we do have all of your materials and your application has been reviewed by a counselor. For students that apply after the Dec priority deadline decisions are done on a rolling basis. Our exec committee gets together every couple weeks to send out more decisions. Sometimes they hold off on making some decisions until they can see how the numbers for our different majors or programs play out. You will definitely get a decision from Clemson before May, so just hang tight a little bit longer.