Clemson Class of 2024

My son applied for reconsideration for the honors college, and was just denied again.
5.12 GPA
1550 SAT
800 Math 2 subject test
NMF
Presidential Scholar nominee
National AP scholar in 11th grade
100 volunteer hours
9 AP’s
12 DE courses
4 years cross country
3 years track
2 years academic team, captain
3 years at his job. Last year he was a head cashier/trainer.

He knows kids at his school that don’t have even close to the stats/accolades that he has that got in. It’s so disappointing that he’s worked so hard, and it comes down to a writing contest.

Sorry for the rant, but it’s so frustrating.

@dadfromca
Where did you child see they were accepted to the honors program?

Does anyone know how to decline an offer for admission on the Clemson portal? I know 3 other people who are all declining also and we cannot figure it out. Would like to be considerate and decline, since I have accepted an offer to attend another school.

I think my daughter got an email. Maybe on her iroar account?

My daughter got off the waitlist last week, but she was sent to Bridge. So, now she is deciding between accepting VA Tech or UGA. She’s a business major. She loved VA Tech campus, but never got to visit UGA. May come down to a coin toss if schools don’t extend the acceptance deadlines.

Well, you know which school I’d choose. :slight_smile:

@MDMOM24 My son considering UGA and business major as well. We are struggling with how Terry Business School doesn’t direct admit, so you have to apply to your major at end of sophomore year. Afraid he won’t get his major. But believe Clemson same deal…everyone pre-business then apply to major at later date.

@MDMOM24 We are still waiting to hear about the waitlist, but put down a deposit at VT today. Their Pamplin School of Business is rated pretty high.

My son is deciding between Wake Forest and Clemson. It’s been a tough one! Waitlisted at Rice, but wanting to choose and move forward with either WF or CU this week… Any insight?! (Bioengineering major)

@ArbonneMom both are great schools; we have degrees from both in our house. Wake doesn’t offer an undergrad degree in bioe/biomedical engineering. Did he apply as general engineering w/bio minor or biophysics? Is he leaning more towards the engineering or the bio side? Just trying to see if he is looking for a strong engineering base, or a strong bio with engineering in hopes of something in the medical field.

@cescts2 The same thing happened to us last year for Alabama. I ended up emailing the basic admissions office and asking what to do. They declined it for me and sent a confirmation email.

My older son is a senior at Clemson Business School. He was accepted into other great business school like SMU and UMiami and receive scholarship money however he decide on Clemson mainly for the overall fit and the direct acceptance. You can switch your business major anytime. My high school senior was just admitted to Clemson Business and he is extremely happy. Bottom line even through a couple schools are better ranked, it is better for your student to excel at a school that is the perfect fit. ( I also have a senior at U of South Carolina Business School and she excelled there. She really wanted a city school and would not have enjoyed Clemson.)

Yes He was originally accepted onto the Bridge program now he is admitted directly into the summer program at Clemson

Thanks! I’ll email them.

Agree! I’ve been a big advocate for fit over cost/rankings. It goes back to my days when I chose between VT and Lehigh. Lehigh was ranked higher than VT in ChE, but I felt at home at VT. It has worked out pretty well for me. Admittedly, I also saved a ton of money, but it was really about the fit.

Did anybody else notice the change in verbiage on the Math Placement exam? It now reads as follows on the Next Steps page:

@hokiecrazy interesting; covid adjustment perhaps?

Yes, I shared that about a week ago

Yes, it was the verbiage from the details page and the FAQ page, but a week ago the Next Steps page still said it was a Mandatory Math test. I’m just glad they sync’ed that all up.

@Tigerwife92 I don’t think its related to COVID. They probably found a strong correlation between their testing and the SAT scores, so they just went with those scores.

@HokieCrazy that made DD happy.