Clemson Class of 2024

@mocha666 Wow God bless you 3 kids within 3-4 years. I hope you are a SC resident.

@HokieCrazy as a Lafayette graduate I am glad you stayed away from the crappy engineering school on the side of a mountain…

Unfortunately OOS, NJ. We like to contribute to the Carolina fund.

For those that got letters off of the waitlist, when did it say you needed to make a decision by? Did it give you a timeframe or is it still May 1?

@jakem01 It’s still May 1st.

FYI: Clemson provides transportation to major airports for breaks.

My son has narrowed his seven schools to two. The honors college at USC, and Clemson. He didn’t get into the honors college at Clemson. He is leaning heavily toward Clemson, like 95% sure. Between scholarships and financial aid, both schools will be the same cost.

My question is this: will not being in the HC at Clemson cost him opportunities? Study abroad, co op, internship, extra scholarship opportunities( ie Goldwater, etc)? Can anyone help with this? He has reached out to Clemson for answers, he hasn’t heard back yet. He is a high stat, high achieving student that is used to having these opportunities available, coming from a small program school.

What major? My son was pretty disappointed about not getting into Calhoun, but found that RISE was a good alternative. I don’t know the answer for you about the other opportunities you have listed, but maybe an LLC for his major will help for some things.

@HokieCrazy, computer Science. He is looking at RISE. I’m pretty sure his mind is made up, I just want him to have all of the information. I liked the “smaller community” feel of honors college. He went to a small program high school, with only 50 kids in his grade. I follow both schools on social media, and every time I see something “extra” like all of the things I mentioned above, it is kids from HC. I don’t want him to miss out. Hopefully someone from Clemson will get back to him soon. I would love to have a decision.

@melspears. Couple of things … even without honors your son will have plenty of opportunities for all of those types of things. Also keep in mind that if he finds he still wants it once he gets there he can apply for admission Into the honors college. As long as he gets good grades the first semester it is my understanding that it is easier to get into that as an incoming Freshman.

Honors has some great advantages such as the honors dorm freshman year, class selection priorities, the smaller seminar type honors classes. Also if you complete the required honors credits you graduate “with honors”. But rest assured Clemson as a large public university has so many things to offer to all its students as it relates to research, internships, travel abroad, etc. As such I doubt he will miss out on much of anything by going to Clemson with no honors vs. USC Honors. And besides it will be immensely better on 12 weekends in the fall…Go Tigers…Good luck to your son as he makes his final decision. Let us know when he decides.

Only 12?

@burghdad thank you for your answer! He just received an email from the AD of undergraduate admissions saying the same thing. I’m pretty sure that that has sealed his decision to attend Clemson ?

Clemson it is! Just paid the deposit!

Congrats to your son, @MelSpears !

Thank you!! @Lily115

@hokiecrazy…Ha…However I wrote it that way because USC will only play 12 weekends…the other 2 weeks Clemson will be the only one of them playing.

Congrats! Have your son join the student FB page

Anybody see/hear anything about Clemson’s plans for Orientation? VT just announced their orientations would be virtual, so I wonder if Clemson will follow suit soon.

@HokieCrazy Considering other schools are canceling summer classes, it would seem likely that Clemson will cancel orientations this summer. What do you see as pro/ cons or the ramifications of that? (I whole heartedly support that decisions to protect everyone’s health. )

I think it’s the right thing to do. Hopefully, they come up with a creative way to hold the orientation sessions online…live video feeds from people on campus or something. I don’t think they’ll cancel them outright, since things like class registration and 1-on-1 meetings with counselors happen at orientation. They’d need to still have something for that if they plan on having classes in the Fall.

My daughter just got an email, accepted to the criminology program for fall!
was waitlisted…OOS NY. best of luck to all!