Clemson Class of 2027 Official Thread

Not sure why Clemson communicated their Early Action so carelessly if they were just going to defer the majority of their applicants. They pushed kids to apply early to receive their decision by Dec 1st. But really there’s no change in how they handled from years past except disappointing a lot of kids and creating unnecessary hype.

10 Likes

Not taking away from the kids accepted but feel they would have been accepted regardless through their rolling admissions like they did in previous years. The wording for early made it seem that they would make decisions early for a larger candidate pool…

7 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! I am curious- from your experience with your son- do you know where the academic scholarship amount might fall for kids who received notification of receiving one in March? I am finding such a difference range everywhere I’ve looked.

I wasn’t :confused: but my major was nursing

i was deferred from nursing and am a palmetto fellow!

Totally agree. I’m sure they must have anticipated the amount of kids applying EA. They should have pushed back the notification date by a month. My son is so discouraged now.

4 Likes

My daughter is a sophomore, it seemed like the range was $8000 - $12,000 a year when she was accepted.

1 Like

Similar situation - accepted early to UofSC (surprise announcement before their public date), with a scholarship. Been researching Clemson and seeing how tough it has been and fretting over it. Both parents are Clemson graduates, as is an uncle.

Major choice played a big part. Judging by things I have heard and read, perhaps having a job was a big factor? Course rigor also huge. My daughter’s friend has same SAT score, D1 athlete (not recruited as Clemson doesn’t play the sport), but no APs, similar GPA and was deferred.

Good luck- I am confident it will work out. If Clemson is where you want to be, add Business or Health Science as a second choice and then change your major.

FWIW- SEC schools seem to be giving out a lot more scholarships than Clemson (maybe all ACC?). Not sure if it is football money being applied to academics or a concerted effort to raise their academic rank (most of which were pretty bad a few years ago). My daughter also applied to 3 SEC schools, was accepted to all of them and offered scholarships immediately. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m guessing everybody who was admitted was under their first choice major?

Deferred
OOS
1530 SAT
3.8 weighted
5 AP’s

1 Like

I’m sure most of it was that I applied under nursing. Still thought I would get in though! 1410 SAT, have a job abt 20 hrs a week, and didn’t take many aps but the aps I took were difficult ones and I did very well in all of them. Both my parents went to Clemson too. My class rank is 111/450 so that’s probably it too

Sounds like the majority of accepted were business majors. We were mostly expecting the deferral (happy it wasn’t a rejection) but I’m calling BS with the early action situation. There was no point in making these kids all amped up just for the majority to be deferred and now feel defeated for another 3 months of wait. Poor planning on their part.

9 Likes

Son was deferred last night palmetto fellow , 1410 SAT 4.5 gpa lots of APs 2 sport varsity athlete.

1 Like

Nursing is one of the toughest. They must have had a lot of applicants. And deferred does not mean no, so hang in there.

1 Like

Which major?

I agree with you completely on how poorly this EA was done. It seems like they have handled acceptances the way they always have done (high stats in Nov/Dec).
They had my son’s app for almost 4 months. I am not sure what another 4 months is going to do. UGA seems to have a better handle on how to do EA.

5 Likes

Finance , pretty disappointed as a few of his friends were accepted and it’s hid first choice. March is a long way off

1 Like

Yes, March is far off. Maybe they will work the differed list as they go.

Son with a 1530 was deferred. OOS

Definitely depends on the SEC school but the less competitive ones give out a lot of money. Georgia and Florida for example don’t give much. However, both do benefit from in-state free tuition programs funded by the lottery. Honestly, I think this has been a large part of why they have become so academically competitive. The goal was to keep smart students in state and it has worked!

Clemson historically doesn’t give much scholarship money and it is gone down over the past few years. My oldest got the max his year 2019 which was $20,000. My middle child got the max his year 2021 which was 12,500. Interesting to see what the max this year is? Auburn seems pretty in line with Clemson with the amount of money they give, allthough they give more for high stat kids. Clemson is also a lot more expensive out of state (almost 10k more than Auburn, Georgia and Florida) so less merit and higher tuition makes it a lot more expensive if you don’t demonstrate need.

2 Likes