Clemson Class of 2027 Official Thread

My business kid ended up at UGA - he is a finance major there. Even with max merit (which was 12,500 at the time - 2021 class) Clemson is expensive OOS compared to free at UGA, which has a great business school.

I am curious to see where merit falls for this year’s applicant, and whether he gets any with a lower ACT. . .

1 Like

Does Clemson send decision letters before the December 1 release date? Applied EA.

EA decisions are scheduled to be released on December 1st. Good luck!

1 Like

@Bluesky432 tagging you here so I don’t hijack the other thread. In answer to your question about auto merit, we don’t know those levels/amounts yet; unless they change notification with the new EA applications, that info isn’t usually available until February. The last few years amounts ranged from $5k-$12.5k/year. The higher end has usually been for 34+ACT/top 10%/3.8-3.85+ uwgpa. Test optional can reduce the merit amount. This chart reflects levels 3 cycles ago; the top amount went up by about 500, but it gives you an idea of how they’ve historically awarded merit. This table doesn’t account for departmental or alumni scholarships which can add $500-$2k depending on the scholarship awarded. It also doesn’t include NMSF $. The only stat not listed is the uwgpa; from what I’ve observed over the last several years, uwgpa’s under 3.8 were left out, even with high test scores. If I hear anything about this year’s levels, I’ll certainly let everyone know.

1 Like

Does anyone have information on how Clemson recalculates GPA for admissions? TIA.

1 Like

My daughter is a sophomore, 33 act, 10th in her class (out of 300), 3.9 UWGPA (1 B), 7 AP’s, rest honors, I think she got/gets $8000? OOS. Clemson did accept all of her AP classes (4’s and 5’s). She is in honors. She also applied late.

1 Like

The freshman class of 2019 got $20k for the highest level until state budgets changed :sob::sob: Clemson is very generous with AP and DE credits depending on the CC/university. D20 has always been a year ahead because of that; it comes in handy for the student football ticket lottery :joy:

1 Like

My daughter did well with the lottery last year and this year. Her sister graduated from UDel a year early too, nice cost savings (plus a 9 semester graduate program so early was good).

1 Like

My understanding is that unweighted GPA is the major factor considered and then the number of AP and DE classes taken are important. The weighted GPA is a little irrelevant since it’s calculated so differently among different states.

1 Like

Do you know if Clemson drops pluses and minuses?

1 Like

I thought Clemson recalculates the GPA?

We met with Admissions as well as the recruiter for the department my daughter wanted to major in and that’s not how they explained it to us. They said that unweighted GPA is the most important. They then look at the number of AP and DE classes offered by the school and how many were taken. What was very important was the rigor of the school itself - they rank certain high schools better than others. So the way it was explained to us was that a weighted GPA was not a comparable stat as it’s much easier to get A’s in an AP class at some schools over others. So there isn’t any “formula” for recalculation, these are just the factors they take into consideration. The test scores themselves are more indicative, but oftentimes those aren’t in when a student applies since a lot of those classes are taken senior year. We were surprised at how much weight was placed on the high school attended. They are trying to choose kids who they think will succeed at Clemson with the rigor of college level classes and a GPA isn’t always the telling factor.

6 Likes

Very interesting! I remember reading something several years ago explaining that they give an extra weight for AP classes but also weight honors classes which I found interesting because UGA does not do that.

It is also interesting about the high schools. I didn’t know this until several years ago but lots of colleges track how students from particular high schools do while they’re at their college. I know UGA and Georgia Tech do this, and it sounds like Clemson does as well. Georgia Tech actually publishes the information for in-state schools on their website. This lets them know how prepared kids are from various high schools if they are successful when they get to college.

1 Like

That is interesting, thanks for sharing. I wish Clemson would be more transparent like UGA is with how apps are evaluated and applicant stats. I am hoping my OOS son’s SAT will give him a slight edge over TO applicants from his competitive high school with slightly higher GPA’s.

My daughter is a freshman at Clemson in the nursing college from OOS. She applied in early October last year and found out in early November that she was accepted. She did not find out about merit aid until the spring semester (February - as one poster said - sounds about right). She received $8,000 (SAT - 1470, unweighted GPA 4.0, 9 AP classes). She applied to the honors college and was accepted. The HC has definitely been worthwhile for her. In addition to early registration, she has gotten involved with the Dixon Fellows program and Creative Inquiry (which encourages research). She has loved being at Clemson and is very happy with her choice.

5 Likes

Does anyone know if Clemson defers a lot of applicants during the EA review similar to UGA?

3 Likes

I don’t know but anxiously awaiting. At tour they did say they mostly take in state

EA is new this year, so your guess is as good as anyone’s. Anxiously waiting here.

1 Like

Thanks for this info! My daughter applied in early September to nursing. She is also OOS. Hoping to get some good news in December!

2 Likes

Clemson has a larger out of state population than UGA. I think around 60/40 (in state vs OOS).

2 Likes