Clemson Class of 2027 Official Thread

Clemson is about 120 miles from both Atlanta and Charlotte. However the drives are very different as the Atlanta airport south of the city so you always hit traffic. Charlotte airport is south of the city but since you are coming from the south it is much easier to get in and out of. As others mentioned a free school shuttle goes from Clemson to Charlotte at break times but you want to make sure you sign up early. My daughter also used a car service once when it was not an official break. Greenvillle much closer only about 45 minutes but for most cities you are connecting to Charlotte (AA) or Atlanta (Delta) and the cost is usually higher. Last 2 years daughter had a car so could get her self to the airport. In March of 2020 she drove her car to airport (I forget whether it was Charolette or Greenville). She never went back that semester due school being shut down due to covid. Fortunately a brother in law who lives in Charolette ultimately went and got the car about 6 weeks later and took it to his house. Oh and the parking place waived the charges

2 Likes

There are also direct flights out of Asheville. I personally just went home to PA, flew direct out of GSP (Greenville) to PHL (Philadelphia) then picked up a commuter flight from there. The worst part of the trip by far was Philly, GSP was a breeze. Sometimes we connect through Charlotte, sometimes Philly. GSP is easy in - easy out.

2 Likes

My son liked Clemson for that very reason. He was excited about the prospect of meeting kids with points of view other than what he’s been inundated with all through high school, and where one side wouldn’t get shut down because someone refused to be open minded to differing ideas. He met a lot of students on campus during our two visits who spoke to the Clemson culture being tolerant and welcoming, and how it separated Clemson from other schools. I hope he chooses to become a Tiger. It’s a great environment.

4 Likes

Delete

2 Likes

That said, I hope I am wrong and they absolutely love Clemson.

Alrighty then. But if you’re sending your child to college – which is supposed to be an open marketplace of ideas where young minds gain wisdom – with a belief that she doesn’t need to hear other points of view, and that at 18 years old she knows all she needs to know on issues, then that’s unfortunate. Your last comment is illustrative on why so much of college culture today has become intolerant and cancel driven. When you know it all and you’re convinced your opponents are all engaged in double standards, it leaves little room for finding common ground. It’s no wonder so many students are pushed to celebrate what separates us rather than what we have in common.

6 Likes

Delete

I misunderstood you pigeonholing right leaning states as being rife with double standards? No, I don’t think so. My opinion/views are irrelevant. I want my student to be able to share his opinions no matter what they are, while listening and understanding the opinions of others, so he gains wisdom and grows as a person. I’ve worked 18 years to ensure my student doesn’t go to college with a fixed mentality. Clemson is a great place for students (and parents) who want this, too. Our family is filled with alums who will tell you it has been that way for a long time. Good luck to your student.

7 Likes

I will absolutely report back our impression. I am really looking forward to our visit.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! Thank you.

Anyones IROAR have any financial aid/scholarship info yet?

Very well said, I couldn’t agree more.

3 Likes

Any idea about scholarship release date yet

2 Likes

We are from MA too. My son is a sophomore. The first trip home was a big deal but now it’s a non-issue. It takes a while and we’ve paid for ubers to GSP because he didn’t sign up for the shuttle but he only does the trip twice a year now-- Christmas and the end of year. He loves Clemson so much that he doesn’t think twice about the commute. We went down once a year so not a big deal for us either. We did decide to spend our visits in Greenville-- not enough restaurants and activities in Clemson for the adults.

5 Likes

My current Freshman son, has no car does not have any issues getting to/from his hometown San Diego. Campus shuttles to/from Charlotte, Atlanta, GSP, and also car services available. We use a car service to get him to/from GSP airport.

1 Like

Any merit news yet anyone ??? I know they said end of March

.but

it’s almost end of March! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I heard that they will be releasing the merit awards this Thursday.

2 Likes

Email just in that financial aid packages as well as scholarship awards will be released tomorrow!!!

4 Likes

Time?

No time- just another day of portal refreshing I guessđŸ€­