Clemson dorm selection

Hi,

I recently got into clemson as an international student, test optional, 3.84gpa, 14yrs old.
The issue I’m having is you have to be at least 17 to enter a dorm. But living in the dorm is compulsary for 1st year students. How can I solve this please.

Have you contacted Clemson for their recommendations? Someone there, perhaps in resident life or in the office for international students, should be able to explain your options.

As a 14 year old, TMK you will need to live off campus with parents or a designated temporary guardian who has legal power of attorney to make legal, medical and financial decisions in your parents’ absence.

Your first steps would be

1. apply for a student visa. Here are the steps:
    Student Visa

1A) find a host family/temporary guardian/POA if your family won’t be in the area. This can be extended family or a host family type of situation. This will be on your family to find someone. Typically this is extended family or family friends, but it will need to be someone 25+ who is willing to take responsibility.

1. Complete all legal power of attorney and medical power of attorney documents. This needs to be filled out by both of your parents, if both are living and have legal custody. The link below shows an example of a POA form.
    Free South Carolina Guardian of Minor Power of Attorney Form - PDF | Word – eForms

You won’t be allowed to live on campus because of your age, so you will need to live with a local adult in the area. Clemson has public transportation, but this is a more suburban/rural area; if your guardian doesn’t live close to public transportation they will need to drive you back and to clases and activities.

Also, students living in Pickens, Oconee and Anderson counties are not required to live on campus because they are considered to live within commuting distance. They need to fill out a waiver.
https://housing.clemson.edu/resource/do-i-have-to-live-on-campus/

The required residency waiver form is located here:
https://housing.clemson.edu/housing/assignments/cancellations/

This is information I collected through Google searches; do not rely on this information as a complete or definitive list. Please coordinate all required documents, information and steps with Clemson admissions and housing.

https://housing.clemson.edu/support/say-thanks/

Have you spoken to your parents about the social challenges you will face as a 14 yo in college in the states? Commuting can be an isolating experience and make it more difficult to connect with other students. You’ll need a guardian who understands this and will be willing to put in the work to get you to all the activites outside of classes to ensure you have a good experience. Students here are very welcoming and may take you under their wing, but in the end no matter what school you attend you will be at a different social stage than a typical 17/18 year old freshman. This is something you should discuss with your parents and potential guardians, so they can be prepared to support you emotionally.

1 Like