CLEP-Can you do this after one semester?

I’m curious to know if my son should take a CLEP exam to bump his overall credits to a Junior status. Right now he is at 60.5 and needs a 1/2 credit to be a junior. Is it possible to take a CLEP exam after being enrolled one semester?

When I did some checking on this a couple of months ago, the answer appeared to be “yes”. Let’s see if someone else chimes in. (But why spend the money on the CLEP exam if you don’t have to? Sounds like he’s way ahead now…which is awesome.)

I’m thinking it might help with on campus housing. He really wants to stay on campus next year and I would like for that to happen too. I wonder if it helps in terms of priority if he has a higher status. Maybe it won’t, its something I need to check into.

I think it’s the reverse for on campus housing after freshman year: sophomore priority > junior > senior.

amazondotmom, from my understanding housing uses the true status of your student, not their credit hours. Then for approval, freshmen are first, then upcoming sophomores so on. In the past once they have been approved to stay on campus, it goes the other way. Seniors get first choice of where to live, then juniors etc., although staying put in your suite, in the dorm etc. also had priority. Everything is different next year for upperclassman, so we will see.

My son took a Chem CLEP after Winter Break. It’s now on his transcript. This is his freshman year.