CLEP Exams

Do people take CLEP Exams for college admissions? I’ve just seen it on the college board website.

People take CLEP exams to get credit for basic classes at colleges that accept CLEP credits. For example, you could take a CLEP English exam, get a certain score, and use that to fulfill a required class. CLEP credits don’t help you get into college though.

There are stories of students getting a lot of CLEP credits and going into college with Sophomore status. They can save you a ton of money and get you through college a lot more quickly. I would say in general, it is more common for commuter students to use CLEP credits than for residential students, but that probably isn’t always the case. I also think few private universities accept CLEP credits.

1 Like

They are similar in concept to AP tests, in that they cover mostly frosh level college course material. However, they are less common, probably because AP tests have associated AP courses, and appear to be less commonly accepted by colleges. Some of the test subjects are the same, but some are different: Exam Topics – CLEP | College Board

CLEP exams are accepted at lower ranked public colleges and most CC. I was surprised UMD takes some CLEP. Gatech does not take any CLEP. There is a list at CLEP website of what school takes what exam and with what score.
CLEP is amazing for homeschooled students and military veterans. My child CLEPed through the year of CC without any problems. CLEP is different than AP. First, you can take it when you are ready (not one week in May). Second, apart from one English essay CLEP it is totally multiple-choice. No short essays and zero writing. Third, if necessary you can take it multiple times (there is some waiting period).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.