CLEP test a no-go for Spanish placement

<p>I was under the impression that UA accepted CLEP for all subjects listed on their site. My incoming freshman didn’t know how much time was allotted for placement test. She has both French/Spanish to take. I suggested that she take the CLEP for one and then take the other placement test during BB.</p>

<p>She took the Spanish CLEP yesterday. Her score was the top range of given credit (14 hours) which is the equivalent to have passed SP202. She should be able to begin at 300 level. To confirm, I emailed the Associate Prof of Spanish and this is his response:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ignacio Rode</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>His answer seems inconsistent to me; I’d keep pursuing it. CLEP gives her credit on her transcript, so there WILL be credit on the student’s transcript. Based on what he wrote, she should be able to skip levels. My guess is that this particular assistant professor is not familiar with CLEP.</p>

<p>Bummer!!! Hope it gets sorted out!!</p>

<p>asuanmom, CLEP definitely gave my D credit on her transcript. I think your D will be just fine. That particular professor just may not be aware of CLEP credits.</p>

<p>latte-Did she continue with SP courses once at UA?</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Maybe he hasn’t heard of CLEP tests and doesn’t know what they are??? They award credit like AP and IB do.</p>

<p>Once the credits show up in DegreeWorks, I don’t see how she wouldn’t be allowed to register for the ‘next’ courses.</p>

<p>^^^^that was certainly my impression!</p>

<p>As my late, and much-missed, Mother wuld have said “It’s ALWAYS something.”</p>

<p>—feathers unruffled! Response from A&S Registrar:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>BTW…Jeanie Thormley is THE person to contact about any questions about credits, grad checks, etc. She knows everything.</p>

<p>She’s my new favorite person at UA ;)</p>

<p>I felt sure it was confusion on his part.</p>

<p>Back to encouraging DD to take the CLEP…</p>

<p>Be sure to politely send that prof a copy of Jeanie’s letter. I’m nearly certain that he had no idea what CLEP was. Although he got his PhD in this country, he may have had his earlier education elsewhere.</p>

<p>Will Clep fill a core requirement without taking a higher level class like AP will?
Could a student take Spanish Clep and with a high score be done with FL ?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes! A good score on FL AP awards up to 14 credit hours, satisfying HU and depth requirement. I’ll see if I can find the thread where this was discussed in detail.</p>

<p>ParkTN, these two threads should answer all your questions </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1327604-foreign-language-placement-help.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1327604-foreign-language-placement-help.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1351933-did-anyone-take-language-placement-test-bb.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1351933-did-anyone-take-language-placement-test-bb.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>While CLEP is becoming more popular at UA thanks to UA’s generous credit by examination policies, it is not as well known as AP and IB. When I started at UA, I was told that CLEP was popular in the 70s and is now mainly used by applicants with military experience, which explains why many testing centers are located on military bases. </p>

<p>One benefit of CLEP compared to the placement test is that students who take the CLEP exam are awarded credit without having to take another course in the language.</p>

<p>Great Job asaunmom!</p>

<p>FYI in the future just keep in mind that not too many people know about CLEP. Even the professors and deans at the school. But all schools are pretty good about putting their college’s policy out on the web.</p>

<p>Next time just go to UA website and search CLEP -> <a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>It would have saved you the trouble, because it’s CLEARLY stated in their policy!</p>

<p>Keep it up and tell your freshman to try some more CLEP Tests!!!</p>

<p>Best</p>

<p>Madison :D</p>

<p>If a student qualifies for EXTENDED TIME with The College Board, will they qualify for EXTENDED TIME when taking a CLEP EXAM???</p>

<p>I am having a difficult time navigating through the CLEP information online…</p>

<p>Contact the testing sites and ask…or contact CB. I don’t know if anyone here knows.</p>