Closed classes

<p>So my S and I went on mybama today to take a look at the classes he is thinking about registering for at Bama Bound. Unfortunately, there are two that are either almost closed or closed already. And these are upper level classes, so I don’t think seats will be added later. Is there anything at all he can do about this, or is he just out of luck? It’s not things like optional honors seminars, it’s the math that he needs to take and a CS class that he needs to take. If he can’t take them this fall, it kind of screws up his progression of classes. The math does have another section that is open, but that section conflicts with another class that he has to take that only has one section, so that doesn’t help.</p>

<p>If there’s nothing to do there’s nothing to do and he will have to figure out a Plan B, but I figured I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas. Could he e-mail professors? Talk to an advisor? </p>

<p>Appreciate any thoughts!</p>

<p>Which classes are they? I’m pretty sure there are seats in math classes held back for freshmen - certainly through the calculus series and maybe even further. One way to get an idea about this is to compare the number of seats showing in the class now with the number of seats in the same class in Fall 2012. If the 2012 classes were much larger, there will likely be seats added. But if not, speaking to an advisor or department head and/or e-mailing the professor sounds like a good plan. Also, keep in mind that many non-honors upperclassmen haven’t even registered yet.</p>

<p>My son had a mid-July orientation and like your son needed to take upper level classes because of AP credits etc. and had a hard time getting what he needed. He ended up with 13 credits his first semester, at least one class/2 credits less than we hoped. Other parents told me that he should continue working on his schedule all summer as classes opened up all the time. He checked a few times, but any openings he found didn’t fit into his schedule, and he was not patient or knowledgeable enough to rework his schedule to have everything fit. (It didn’t help that his CS major required alot of 1 credit classes that screwed things up…next year I understand they combined some of these to make a 3 credit class.) He found his first semester to be pretty easy and had a lot of extra time, but it actually helped with his transition. If your son has an earlier orientation, he will have more of a chance to get those classes and have him check and recheck in the summer to see if he could rework his schedule if he didn’t. The good news is that is the only time my son has had trouble registering for classes…in the Spring and upcoming Fall, he got everything that he needed/wanted.</p>

<p>It’s common for more seats to open up even in upper division classes unless the maximum number of seats is already the same as the limit set by the fire marshal. Some courses have limits purposely set 1-2 seats below the limit set by the fire marshal so students can get a waiver into the course if needed, but those who don’t need the course are blocked from registering.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, we’ll keep checking. I know that registration isn’t done yet for upperclassmen which is why I’m pretty sure at least two of his classes will be closed. Once registration is done, maybe I will have him call a CS advisor and ask what they recommend that he do.</p>

<p>I do realize that this is likely to be the only semester he has issues, so we are glad about that!</p>

<p>ETA - Beth’s Mom, it’s Math 301, Discrete Math. Based on prior semesters it looks like what is listed is real numbers.</p>

<p>lisa- my son had no problems getting into the math 301 class last year. One of the other classes he needed was closed, and was expected to remain closed. There was not a way for them to increase the class size because of lab restrictions. Mid-summer, a seat opened up. He grabbed it. And dropped another class. </p>

<p>You do need to keep looking, but also have a plan B.</p>

<p>This may also be a great semester to make progress on Honors requirements. The freshman only honors classes will only be available to him this year and are typically on interesting topics. Once students are deeply into their majors, Honors classes can be harder to fit in due to class conflicts and students coming in with lots of AP/dual enrollment credit usually don’t need the departmental honors courses that make finishing the Honors requirements easier for those who come in as more typical freshman. Also considering finishing core requirements if any remain.</p>

<p>agree with the last post. load up on honors credit now, while you can. my daughter has a hard time getting the honors hours she needs due to conflicts etc.</p>

<p>^^ The honors classes was my son’s plan B</p>

<p>vlines - there is plenty of room in the Math 301 sections with Professor Wang, but those both conflict with other classes he needs to take (plus he would rather have one of the other professors, although that’s not the end of the world). The issue is that the two sections he could do are both almost closed. My secret hope is that since honors registration is done, we might be okay, since I wouldn’t think too many non-honors students would be taking Math 301. Or is that a totally wrong assumption?</p>

<p>An honors seminar is a good idea for a plan B, although I think S will have enough honors credit anyway - he will be taking EN 103 (3 hrs), ENGR 103 (3 hrs), Alabama Action (1 hr), STEM MBA (3 hrs/year). That’s already 13 UH-designated hours through sophomore year. (Please let me know if I am counting wrong, the rules are a little confusing!) I will have him look at the honors seminars and see if any would work (it would have to be a freshman seminar, as far as I can tell all of the other honors seminars are closed).</p>

<p>One other question - can students who have already registered change their classes at any time from now on, or are there only certain times that registration is open?</p>

<p>Provided that registration is open (it’s closed for non-freshmen during Bama Bound sections,) students can change classes as much as they wish up to the add/drop deadline.</p>

<p>Only 1 of the courses you mentioned (Alabama Action) is a UH course, of which you need 6 credits. The other courses count towards the 12 remaining honors credits required to graduate from UHP. One needs 18 total hours of honors credit.</p>

<p>Also, make sure that the UH courses aren’t graded pass/fail as those won’t count towards the required UH hours.</p>

<p>My son had Dr. Wang and survived. </p>

<p>Keep trying to play with the schedule. </p>

<p>Lisa, is your son planning to do University Scholars? Remember that masters level courses count as honors too. I would try to get the honors specific classes in early if possible.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>EN 103, the honors sections of ENGR 103, and the STEM MBA class all have University Honors listed in the attributes, so won’t those count for the 6 hour UH requirement? If they don’t, then he definitely should think about taking an honors seminar. AA might actually be the one that doesn’t count for UH now that it is P/F.</p>

<p>vlines - He is undecided about University Scholars now that he is doing the STEM MBA. I think if the scheduling works out and he can do it relatively easily he might do it, but otherwise he will probably just add a minor or two.</p>

<p>In looking at his flowchart trying to come up with various alternatives, one thought was to take Stat, Linear Algebra or a Natural Science elective. Is there a downside to that plan? He has to take all of them eventually anyway. The only thing is that it won’t satisfy any of his prereqs. I also know nothing about math - is there a reason Linear Algebra comes after Discrete Math on the flowchart? Linear Algebra actually has the lower course number.</p>

<p>Edit: Just read the Honors requirements again. I don’t think I understood that the 6 hours has to be in actual UH classes (as opposed to any other subject). I thought it just had to say University Honors in the attributes, but looks like all of the departmental honors classes say that. So you’re right, he should think about taking a UH seminar. Maybe that’s what I’ll tell him to do and just forget about all the rest of it. :)</p>

<p>There was a student written article in the Crimson White awhile back about how all students should take UH 300 Finding Financial Freedom…it is one of the first classes to fill up but if you can fit it in somewhere in year 3 or year 4 that is 3 UH hours and then put in one of the First Year Only (FYO) or Freshman Seminars as they used to be called this 1st year then he would have his 6 UH hours :)</p>

<p>FRESHMAN SEMINAR (HU) (3 credits)
International War Crimes
UH 155 001 43051
Course covers international war crime trials from WW-I through recent U.S Supreme Court decisions after 9/11 to include emphasis on the Nuremberg Trials and the Tokyo trials after WW-II, Vietnam, the Balkan Cases and the international terrorism issue as well as the formation of the International Criminal Court in l998.</p>

International War Crimes
UH 155 002 43194
UH 155 006 48612
Course covers international war crime trials from WW-I through recent U.S Supreme Court decisions after 9/11 to include emphasis on the Nuremberg Trials and the Tokyo trials after WW-II, Vietnam, the Balkan Cases and the international terrorism issue as well as the formation of the International Criminal Court in l998.</p>

The Goose & the Golden Egg: Personal & Prof Effectiveness
UH 155 003 50311
This class will examine the role of the student leader within the contextual framework of Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Time Elmore’s Habitudes. This course will focus on developing the practical skills necessary to work with other college students to maximize the college experience. Participants will learn to facilitate community development, needs-based and social programming, academic and personal growth, leadership development, and personal responsibility and accountability. In addition, the class will allow for personal development and reflection on practices and experiences in a leadership role.</p>

ALL TALK: How Conversation Changes Everything
UH 155 004 46795
Description: TBA</p>

The U.S. Through Others’ Eyes: Travel Narrative of America
UH 155 005 48210
In this class we will read books by people from other countries who traveled in the United States and reported on what they saw. Spanning two centuries of commentary on American culture, these books will prompt us to look at the U.S. from a different point of view and thus will give us a wider perspective on American culture’s place in the world and how Americans might be perceived abroad. As a research project, students will look at a particular aspect of American culture or history and analyze how that is or has been reported and received abroad.</p>

Music and Political Movements
UH 155 007 47297
Music and Political Movements will consider theoretical, philosophical and psychological understandings of how music shapes and creates human society, and how these effects have been employed in the service of political movements from several historical periods – including the present day – of cultures around the world. Our study will include but not be limited to, current-day North America and the Middle East, the Chilean Nueva Canci</p>

<p>It is my understanding that Alabama Action and Outdoor Action are NOT graded this coming year, so do not count on these counting towards your Honors Seminar credits. (They will be P/F only.) Not sure why they changed - in Fall 2012, they were graded.</p>

<p>AA and OA are still worthwhile classes, in that you do make friends and get on campus early. Since it’s only one credit, it doesn’t make too much difference in counting toward honors credit. It’s just an extra for son, as he is short two credits, but will take a three credit course in the fall for his final honors course. This is fall of senior year. So I definitely second and third the recommendation to get those honors courses in while you can. Plenty more available freshman year, so grab them while you can.</p>