Cloud Cuckoo Land - February CC Book Club Selection

@ignatius you’re the most eclectic Reader from Japanese Manga, YA books, classics, graphic novels, mysteries, every genre !!! and for fun The Iliad ! Inspiring. :open_mouth:
Will look forward to your update after your RL Bookclub discusses The Dutch House :house:

1 Like

Here we go: All Creatures Great and Small - April CC Book Club Selection

6 Likes

And if you like All Creatures, try An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor - small town doctor in Northern Ireland. It has a very similar feel to what I remember from the Herriot books, but human animals.

1 Like

Reading Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout and
The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner currently.

Continuing Robin Hobbs ‘Fitz’ series, the e-books are in demand so I have to wait a while for each successive book. Assassin’s Quest is the latest.

Because of travel, I’ve been reading whatever was at hand over the last month or so.

The Other Bennet Sister by Janice Hadlow meh

Envious Casca and They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer. Her mystery series. The first one was pretty good but second just ok. Found these in my dad’s collection. I have probably read them before but couldn’t recall any details.

Looking forward to being reacquainted with Herriot’s world.
:sweat_smile: found the books! I was afraid these may have gone the way of my Sayers books as well.

2 Likes

@AnAsmom , if you like Jane Austen spinoffs, may I recommend The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen Flynn? It’s a mashup of Austen and time travel, and it’s really well done. I know the author but think I would recommend it anyway. Lots of fun. (My then-college-age son liked it as well!)

1 Like

I read a Jane Austen spin off that I really liked and have never been able to find again. It was written just before cell phones were ubiquitous so one of the plot points was getting in touch via satellite phone. The plot had them filming a Jane Austen novel on some estate in north England and would be boyfriend was often absent. Ring any bells?

@jollymama I am a huge fan of Jane Austen and do enjoy reading spin-offs that are well-written. I will add the book to my March list. Thanks!

1 Like

I read The Other Bennet Sister this summer and felt like you did - it wasn’t terrible but easy to put down.

@jollymama Jane Austen and time travel? I’m in! Thanks for the rec!

2 Likes

I read The Other Bennet Sister recently for an IRL bookclub. I also thought “meh.”

Finally read a book
oh, William - Elizabeth Strout , finished in a day and a half - says a lot,
Dava Shastri’s Last day - Kirthana Ramisetti

I think you have to be in the mood for Strout’s writing style,
and, in the mood for the topic of Last day …….

2 Likes