Clubs/Organizations for freshmen?

<p>Are there clubs/organizations at Alabama that are popular for freshmen for particular reasons, or perhaps provide lots of opportunities for leadership positions and such? I’m trying to decide which ones I would be interested in, and I understand the argument for “just join what you’re interested in”, but I’d also like input on clubs that are strong or influential for more reasons than their respective issue.</p>

<p>This is an area where you’ll just have to wait and see when you arrive on campus. I’ll say there is something for everyone whether your interests lie in service and leadership, politics, religion, social interests, academic interests, etc. Plan to attend “Get on Board Day.”</p>

<p>A leadership position in a successful club often requires a large time commitment and money to purchase items when the budget is tight or dues haven’t been collected, so keep that in mind. I would not suggest joining a club that you don’t enjoy simply because of potential leadership opportunities. </p>

<p>In terms of clubs/organizations, there are ways for freshmen to get involved in SGA (student government), the most notable being Freshman Forum. If you want to get involved in SGA, it might also be beneficial to join a fraternity/sorority as Machine-supported candidates tend to be elected to many of the top positions.</p>

<p>Beyond that, there are over 30,000 students on campus. There are many different ways to get involved that one may not notice at first glance. My advice to you is to become friends with people who share your interests and get to know those people who can make things happen. If you don’t become president of X number of clubs, so be it. Try to create a schedule with the combination of academics, social life, and sleep that best suits you.</p>