CMU ECE vs. UIUC CE

My daughter was admitted to both schools (Stats: Bay Area, Public School, 4.3WGPA, 1550SAT, EC: Robotics, Research, STEM Volunteer, captain of water polo, etc.). Cost is just a little higher at CMU, given aid and being OOS.

She was considering UIUC but has totally fallen in love with CMU (just admitted). I’m looking for some wisdom to see if we’re overlooking anything … Some of the pros for UIUC - we think she can graduate in 3 or 3.5 years, as she could use many of her AP credits. This is unlikely at CMU. I have also been reading that the academic rigor at CMU is very intense and “cut-throat”. She’s quite independent and doesn’t like to compete with others, and has an easygoing personality. I’m concerned about the learning environment and which could be better for her in the long run - we want her to be challenged, but she isn’t used to a super high-pressure learning environment …

Greatly appreciate any inputs/advice…

well UIUC CE isnt exactly what you would call “lax” either. I would go with CMU. It’s good to relearn AP course info again anyways since colleges will re teach at a higher and more appropriate rigor.

3 Likes

I am not sure ECE and CE are the same thing. What does she want to do?

2 Likes

She wants to do Computer Engineering.

1 Like

CMU is currently ranked No.1 in CS. For me I would definitely go to CMU. However, CMU is very very very intense. It’s really up to her to decide which way to go because there is no wrong choose between UIUC and CMU. Also, since we are comparing between a public school and a private school. See if she will prefer smaller class size. I believe CMU will provide more research opportunity. If she wants to do Phd later on, I think CMU will be the better place for her.

1 Like

Has she visited both campuses? That might help her see which school is a better fit for her.

1 Like

ECE is not the same as CE, and neither major should be confused with CS.

If your daughter wants to do CE, will she be ok with the additional electrical engineering classes she’ll need to take at CMU for the ECE major? Engineering is hard, and a lot harder if you don’t like what you’re doing.

CMU does have a grind culture where many students pride themselves on how intense their course load is and how little sleep they’re getting. Not everyone there is like that of course, but overall it’s a very intense, and not necessarily collaborative environment.

3 Likes

First priority for me would always be the major. She has to do something she really wants to. If from day 1, she is thinking about how she can move from one major to another, then everyday will become stressful. And every moment, thinking of the compromise she made to be at a particular place. Nothing is worth that stress.
In addition, if she does not like to compete with others, a high competition environment wouldn’t be good for her. Mental health is often overlooked. And I always tell myself, it has to go wrong only once. That scar is for life. I have heard of numerous cases of burnouts, depression, kids unable to compete and changing majors… These environments are not for all.

Bottomline, the question I always ask is “Would she be happy and would she thrive in this environment, doing the major she is”.

3 Likes

ECE is a different major from CS at CMU.

OP’s student should compare courses and curricula at each school to see what is more interesting.

Any other schools admitted to in the desired major?

We plan to visit in April. She did the virtual tours and has been talking with current students. She seems to be set with CMU - but I just hope we aren’t overlooking anything else.

Thank you for your feedback! Yes. The high competition environment is probably my main concern. She has compared both curriculums at length and doesn’t plan on changing majors at either school. She really likes CMU - but I keep reading about the high-competition environment and it scares ME because I don’t think she’s really that type. The advantage of UIUC (in my mind) is the flexibility in classes / credits, given her the option to complete her major sooner.

From classes standpoint, she seems OK. She has enjoyed her math, physics and CS classes in high school. I’m just worried about the high-pressure environment. I’m trying to get as much information as possible so she can make a well-informed decision and be prepared - both are excellent schools. It helps so much to learn from other parents who have been through this. Thank you for your insights!

1 Like

My son applied and was admitted. Not sure yet if he will attend, but he did SAMS program with CMU during the summer and the concerns came up in discussion with the faculty and student helpers. They are aware of their reputation and they do kind accept the poor sleeping patterns that some students have, but everybody described the environment as collaborative. Intense but generally people help each other. Some majors seemed to be more intense than others. They are also making a huge effort in bringing activities and sponsoring things to do to take kids out of the books for a while. Follow their instagram page and you will see. We loved the school and Pittsburg. Cost may be too high for us.

One question though - You as a parent think that she’s not really the high-competition type. What are her thoughts about it? How does she feel about a highly competitive environment?

She says she’ll be fine! She really likes CMU. I hope I’m not overthinking this.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.