COA a new shift?

<p>I am an incoming freshman at UA. And recently all this commotion has been stirring up because the cost of UA is now 42,000. I though id be paying 32-33000 and will now have to see how much i will be paying. Although i am extremely upset at such an increase, and still am not 100% sure that ill be at UA next year because of the increase, i wonder…</p>

<p>Is this jump in Cost of attendance a play to try and get into the same financial discussions as other big schools. Is UA’s programs beginning an uphill trend?</p>

<p>Schools like UVA, UNC, Penn state, U of Maryland, UGA…etc all cost a reasonably expensive amount to go to. Do you think UA is quickly trying to get in that discussion academically and this sort of COA increase goes along with that? </p>

<p>I think that sort of COA increase definitely makes students that do not have good enough scores to get scholarships shy away from applying to UA.</p>

<p>Do you think its just a new big number and increase because of large amounts of oos? Or do you think that UA is trying to make there way upward? </p>

<p>Just trying to get opinions. Side note: Also my theory has a major flaw! Im going into the business school at UA and they were ranked by blooms-burg business week at 75th best in 2011. But in 2012 they were ranked worse at 80th. Just saying, i know many don’t care for rankings.</p>

<p>I can’t figure how the COA got to that number. I don’t think it’s a real number. The actual increase in OOS tuition is $730, IIRC. The annual increase for the 4 person suites is $700. I haven’t seen numbers for the meal plans for next year, but how much can they increase? Personal expenses and books are variable and aren’t going to be much more at Alabama than at other schools. I wouldn’t worry about the stated COA - I’d figure out my own COA based on actual tuition, actual room and board, and your best estimate of the personal expenses/books for you.</p>

<p>beth’s mom, I think that is great advice!</p>

<p>We have ordered almost all of DS’s books via Amazon, at significant savings. And I have saved a ton on clothes because I work for an apparel company (with a company store and an employee discount).</p>

<p>One’s personal expenses will definitely vary, and there are ways to keep costs down. The COA is artificially inflated; it is not a real number.</p>

<p>Well i mean we havent gotten a breakdown so you cant say its a fake number yet. and i hope its fake, but mybama says it cost 42,618 i think.</p>

<p>a counselor at the school emailed me and said that the number given on our financial aid award is usually 6-8 thousand over to get as much aid as possible to each student so i think the number is still basically the same. NVM hahaha</p>

<p>Jetsfan…</p>

<p>What is your situation? Do you have a scholarship? If so, which one?</p>

<p>Which dorm are you selecting? </p>

<p>The COA is inflated so that people can borrow to purchase the most expensive options if they want them.</p>

<p>I think it would have been better if Bama had posted a COA range…one that totaled cheaper options and one that totaled the Cadillac options.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the $42,000 price includes a lot of costs not commonly quoted by other schools except on their financial aid paperwork. Some schools also have a tendency to quote costs that are lower than what the average student would pay. UA is the opposite in this case as it includes much higher expenses. The UA model is preferable for those needing financial aid as UA will award aid based on the higher amount. Of course, since UA doesn’t guarantee to meet demonstrated financial need, that point is less relevant than some would prefer.</p>

<p>jetsfan289: I saw that cost of books was $1100. I laughed. In three years at UA, my son has not spent that much on books. We shop the heck out of textbooks before purchasing, so you can save plenty. As for travel, again, look for deals. At the start of the month, my son needed to fly into the DC area. We got a one-way flight for $100 on Southwest. He usually comes home at Christmas and at the end of the school year, so again, you can save on travel.</p>