"Coastie" Question

<p>Wisconsin culture?? Two words that barely seem to fit together. If by that you mean drinking with your parents in taverns at around age 15-16, drunk driving, and a lifetime of heavy alcohol use I'd advise most OOS students to skip that. Now if you mean the unique non-Wisconsin culture that seems to exist within a few miles of the Madison campus, definitely even tough it includes some drinking. And it's pretty easy to experience it whether or not you ever get to be buddies with a guy from Wisconsin Rapids. OOS people come to UW for the UW and Madison. It just happens to be in Wisconsin. Don't presume attraction to the UW is an attraction to the state.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us/16wisconsin.html?_r=1&em%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us/16wisconsin.html?_r=1&em&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Not all of Wisconsin culture is as barrons describes (NY Times articles do not tell the whole story about living here- beware of stereotypes, journalism highlights aspects without attempting to be encyclopedic- think- is life in all of New York state like life in Manhatten?). Do not use him as a source of knowing much about living in, being from Wisconsin. Do not use his definition of how to be an OOS student, either. There are plenty of nondrinking natives and plenty of OOS students who live in the dorms (and yes, you will find freshmen experimenting with alcohol who abandon it after trying it with their new freedoms away from home). And, the College of Letters and Sciences has most of the undergrads in it, not the business school, when it comes to thinking about UW. Yes, there is a drinking problem in this state, but not all students, especially those who are the top scholars/athletes in their HS fall into the stereotype. The people of the mentioned habits are not likely to be found at any college, much less UW. Consider this- how could the university survive as such an excellent institution all these years if the drinking culture overruled the academics? It is not because of the minority of OOS students. The posts from barrons seem to suggest he was one of the minority who utilized the classrooms at UW but maintained his separateness from the majority of the student body- he speaks as an outsider despite his sojourn in the state. Talk to the thousands of other alumni found all across the country for different views and Wisconsin experiences. Examine the drinking culture at Dartmouth and other elite schools. The definition of culture should be taken from the sociologists, not one person's personal sense of elitism.</p>

<p>Wis75, I haven't posted anything for awhile, but honestly, you really need to lighten up a little. It must be exhausting carrying around that big of a chip on your shoulder. Could you be dealing with an inferiority complex or something?</p>

<p>I'm beginning to wonder how much the "parents," alums, and otherwise "old folk" really are offering to this forum. </p>

<p>Stop speaking as if you have first-hand experience when you went here 30+ years ago. </p>

<p>Dave Cieslewicz said it best, "If I'd have been applying today, I'd have never gotten in."</p>

<p>Things have changed -- a lot. Hearing about it through your kids doesn't give you the insight to comment on anything other than THEIR experience.</p>

<p>I don't know--most of the issues seem to about the same as they were 30-40 years ago. Dislike of OOS kids by the locals (and state government) got so heated they cut the maximum OOS to 15% for a number of years. I don't think the higher admissions numbers really have much to do with anything. The campus culture seems pretty much the same and I get back fairly often.</p>

<p>Son is currently there, these are my views (often don't know his). I would have gotten in easily regardless of the year. Some things change but much does not. I was oblivious to (and still would be if not for this forum) any "coastie" issues. Just got my "On Wisconsin" alumni magazine today- fun to read. It is good when parents and alumni can comment with knowledge students don't yet have -we see the common threads that continue through the generations. It is to your advantage to get as many viewpoints as possible- then do the "sifting and winnowing". Another consistency- the self assurance and cockiness of students never changes.</p>

<p>Future students- be sure your parents attend their SOAR session next summer when you have yours, even alumni learn a lot, it will help your parents keep out of your way by giving them info. Also- read the online brochures and other information found on the UW website. Having lived through the college experience and parenting one I can attest to its worth. I have looked any many college websites and wish they all had such good organization and information as UW's. It is interesting to note how much has remained the same when one looks at the online timetable and course catalog. Some little things about UW will remain forever in the nooks and crannies of your brain- such as start times of classes, it still is 1 hour and 5 minutes after the last one (for the uninitiated that's a 50 min class plus 15 minutes passing. They've added 1 1/2 period classes, too), it takes a while to imprint, but once there can't be lost. I'll end on this silliness.</p>

<p>Wow, I'm an alum, but it feels like I attended a different school in the early 1990's! My friends included kids from NYC, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, Mnpls and ofcourse Wisconsin. It was fabulous! Still friends with so many!</p>

<p>UW Madison was/is such an incredibly social campus with tremendous academic opportunities. One of its strengths is that the Greek system doesn't dominate the social scene like U of Illinois or Indiana U. You can do whatever you want. I remember coming back each year and sort of discovering a different scene. Try different groups/experiences. I'd say about 6 of my friends joined Frats/Sor's then quit later. My impression is that for those in the Greek system it's very important to them and for everyone else the system is rather irrelevant. Probably most of my friends started in the private dorms, but people sort of take off after a year there and do what they want. After Freshman year people team up with friends and rent an apt - what a blast that was and a real learning experience!</p>

<p>Hang out at the Union. Join clubs! Talk to your professors and TA's. Take a class in a subject you've never heard of! The film series are endless. Have a great time!</p>

<p>"My impression is that for those in the Greek system it's very important to them and for everyone else the system is rather irrelevant."</p>

<p>Dead on.</p>

<p>Excellent post, Stooge. Nice to see. Couldn't have described it better!</p>

<p>Agree--it's fine for the people that want it and fine for those who don't. I don't think it limits your meeting people all that much either way. You can meet who you want to meet.</p>

<p>BH column does a little stereotyping.</p>

<p>The</a> Badger Herald - The Lucky’s image of consumption</p>

<p>Another thing, kind of a funny story... My son is a freshman this year from OOS and he is living in Witte (loves it!), which was his 1st choice for housing. He had no limits financially as my husband and I were prepared to put him wherever he felt most comfortable. He had read up and talked with enough people to know, he wanted to put the priority on socializing and on the easiest way to make a lot of new friends. Though he was used to the finer things in life and living, he chose to forego the nicer dorms and apartments for that reason alone. He has been extremely happy with his decision. So...right now is the time where many freshmen are signing up for apartments for next year. My son has made a ton of friends and 4-5 of them have decided to get an apartment for next year. My son's father and I have been pushing Lucky, as we love the convenience, the hotel like feel, all the wide open new spaces and gorgeous views and kitchens. During parents weekend, we took the boys over to look at several apartment buildings and management companies, etc. Lucky was our last stop. My husband and I were completely sold - enthralled by that hotel-like feel, the new wide open spaces, the beautiful glassed in sitting/tv/study areas on the higher floors...We were ready to sign on the dotted line...until we discovered the boys couldn't get out of there fast enough! They had a completely different reaction, which was "too hotel-like, doesn't feel like a college campus, too hard to meet people, too quiet," among other complaints. So...although it is gorgeous, safe, convenient (they're even adding a grocery store), beautiful, etc. ...not all kids place a priority on that - even the ones who are used to that kind of lifestyle back home! If someone were to ask me my opinion of Lucky, I couldn't say enough good things about it. But when choosing housing for next year, just make sure it's the student's decision if they choose to live at Lucky and that they're choosing for the right reasons.</p>

<p>That is funny and reminds me of moving into my first apt with friends Soph. year. We definately had a vision of a place we could call our own, set up our way/express ourselves and most of all throw a party or 2 :). I remember looking at a 3br on W. Wash in a house that had some interior updates, but we passed bc it wasn't "warn" enough. We found another suitable place nearby and had a great time. </p>

<p>I wonder if it's generational. Maybe like the Scion brand - customize?</p>

<p>Anyone else count among their lifelong friends people they met in their classes and perhaps shared a major with? These are the friends you may not see for years but keep in touch with, unlike the here today, gone tomorrow roommates/friends of any given year. Unfortunately this isn't a freshman question as it takes time for HS friends to either become permanent or fade in importance. Older students may see it with HS friends, years later for college friends, although I bet you already know who is likely to be there later. Too bad there is such a limited audience here on CC- I wonder how most of those who start in the off campus dorms end up. It could be only a small minority that have caught everyone's attention by being separate through their housing. This is one question current students can best answer.</p>

<p>None of my friends are from classes or my major. At all.</p>

<p>Just goes to show how we all take different paths. I will however say that NONE of the people who were my best friends freshman year, in my res hall, are my friends now. It was more of a friendship of circumstance I think.</p>

<p>interesting.</p>

<p>My son is a senior and lived in private housing his freshman year. We're out of state. He is still living with two of his original roommates (plus two other friends) from freshman year in a very old house on Gilman. They are best friends and although are from different parts of the country, will hopefully remain close after graduation. We spent some time with them recently and one of the other Dads there wistfully wished he could be their age so he could be friends with them!</p>

<p>Pawn: Had the time of my life in one of those old houses in Madison. Independence and freedom at that age is incredible.</p>

<p>Pretty much everyone does. I still remember us Coasties staying in town over Thanksgiving and having a great dinner party with people from all over the US.</p>

<p>This is a bit off topic of the "Coastie" question, but is most off campus housing for sophomore-senior year pretty close to campus? Also, how big are the houses in general or are they like apartments. Is it fairly cheap with a bunch of guy/girl roommates.</p>

<p>There is a wide variety both near campus and farther out. From old houses for 3-4 students to modern condo style highrise apts. Lots within walking distance although many students choose to move farther out and take the bus in or bike/moped.</p>

<p>That sounds like a lot of fun; Throw any house parties barrons? Haha</p>