"Coasties" are insufferable

<p>OK, a little bit of a rant here:</p>

<p>"Coasties" is the moniker us midwesterners here at UW give to UW students from the coasts. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with coastal people. I'm friends with quite a few people on the east coast and some on the west coast. And a lot of people think us labeling them "coasties" is provincial or hickish, but let me explain.</p>

<p>Coasties are not representative of the "cultured" coastal elites. They are trash. They generally fall into two categories: 1) THe poorest-performing students at elite prep schools who couldn't get into michigan or 2) average-performing students from suburban east coast public schools who could afford a ton of ACT prep. </p>

<p>Whichever category they fit into, they are almost universally stupid, ignorant and spoiled. They "gamed" their way into Wisconsin, in my opinion, because they know how to play the system. This "gaming the system" mentality continues in college, where they take "special" classes that require little work or mental ability (we all know these classes exist). They also cheat like nothing else. They cheat on homework, on tests, on papers. Like I said, they know how to play the system and they're very good at getting away with it.</p>

<p>In closing, I'd just like to say that in my 26 years on earth I've never come across such a spoiled, entitled, arrogant and just plain annoying group of people. Coasties really need to get a grip.</p>

<p>Hopefully, in time, we will be able to switch places with UM.</p>

<p>^^what do you mean?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They aren’t getting away with anything. There’s no point in being in college unless you’re there to learn something. In the long run the only person they are cheating is themselves. I don’t know why they bother you, be glad you aren’t one of them.</p>

<p>If you are smarter than a Coastie you should be able to figure it out.</p>

<p>Those coasties must be pretty clever to “game” their way into UW! I need to find one and offer them a consulting fee – maybe they can game my kid in, too!</p>

<p>Wow, what a way to make a harsh and sweeping generalization. I am not sure that I really want to respond, but I have to say I am sorry you are unhappy and angry - something must really have upset you. </p>

<p>I will say that my son, from Virginia so I suppose that makes him a “coastie,” chose UW largely because he found the people welcoming, friendly and “down-to-earth.” He opted not to even apply to UM (he had a good shot at acceptance) because he liked UW better - he lives in a public dorm and at least half his friends (if not more) so far are from Wisconsin. His stats were very good (above avg) and he turned down other great schools in order to attend. He did not “game” anything - his grades, SAT’s, activities, and essays were strong and all HIS work. His classes at Madison so far are exciting and challenging (yes, he chose some “tough” ones). I am glad that neither he nor I would generalize the same in return…</p>

<p>Sure, there are always people (from everywhere and of every type) who are spoiled or entitled or dishonest or whatever…but it is not generally a good idea to attack others with such a broad brushstroke - it is rarely accurate, reflects badly on the attacker and fuels intolerance, misunderstanding, anger, and negativitity.</p>

<p>travelfun – he’s not talking about your son, but I know the type he is talking about.</p>

<p>I dated someone like that in college. He was incredibly handsome and came from a very wealthy family. I ended up concluding that everything had been too easy for him. His good looks meant that he always had girls around and his whole life he had always been given anything that he wanted. In the end I felt really sorry for him. All the money he spent didn’t bring him any happiness. He didn’t like school, a first rate college education was just another thing that he had been given that he didn’t appreciate.</p>

<p>Pea- I understand (although my son could “fit” the stereotype in some ways depending on one’s viewpoint and experience or pre-conceived picture or prejudice). My point in using the example was to point out how there are always exceptions - that is why generalizing in such a way is dangerous and fuels trouble. If my son found a few kids from Wisconsin he didn’t like or thought were “hicks” or not cultured or cheated or tried to find “fluff” classes or whatever, would it be appropriate to rant about “Sconnies” or a certain “type?” </p>

<p>To use your own example, it sounds like the person you dated was an unhappy person - you are right, money doesn’t buy happiness. However, just because someone is handsome and wealthy it does not necessarily follow that all such people would be unhappy and unappreciative.</p>

<p>There are jerks from every place and of every racial or ethnic background…it may be ok to express a dislike of certain behaviors (ie. cheating), but not to say all “fill-in-the-blanks” are cheaters. And, particularly on a public board like this, one has to be careful and responsible for what one says.</p>

<p>There have been past threads dealing with this. Most OOS students from either coast do not fit the unflattering designation of “coastie”, regardless of their family background. I also wonder why a 26 year old student is concerned about this- by this age one is hopefully in grad school and wouldn’t be socializing with the incoming freshmen. Some red flags about the OP here. At any rate, those who don’t do the work will not survive to graduate. BTW- I had an obnoxious first roommate from Manitowoc eons ago, and most of the people there are nothing like this person was as a freshman. I also had a good friend from NJ and good roommate from Long Island whose parents had plenty of money (maybe a difference was that their parents weren’t business people to have money, but doctorates- should we stereotype/diss business majors?- but that would be a disservice to the good people son went to HS with…). I also suspect some OOS students try to hide their insecurities by associating with only others from their area in addition to regional differences, thus alienating locals who feel slighted by them. So many factors in misjudging people, especially new freshmen.</p>

<p>My son just turned in his application to UW. It is his first choice, by a long shot. We live in South Florida and visited Madison this summer. We all loved Madison because the people seemed so open and friendly to us.</p>

<p>I get very concerned when this topic comes up on these boards (and it seems to come up regularly). The OP is clearly a short sighted young person. At the age of 26, I would hope that he/she would be more accepting. I certainly hope that he is not representative of UW. </p>

<p>I think that I will take Wis75’s observations to heart and assume that the OP is a UW aberration.</p>

<p>OP sounds like an absolute idiot, imo. His lack of maturity at 26 is absolutely terrifying. As a current student, I will happily say that this post is way outside of representative of UW as a whole.</p>

<p>travelfun, +1 to you on your first reply. It’s succinct and completely accurate.</p>

<p>etherdome, I would not be alarmed. I was at UW 25 years ago and there was no coastie thing then. UW was predominantly Wisc and MN residents. My 2 cent theory is that over time it attracted more students from farther afield, “the coasts,” as they’re apparently called and this created a dynamic which, while new to UW is probably exactly the same as you’d find at any school that attracts ambitious, achieving students. It just seems more pronouced at UW because it stands in greater contrast to its down-to-earth, friendly Midwestern roots.</p>

<p>Again, this is a theory. My second theory is that you probably find much more of this dynamic at the other “public Ivies” with longer histories of large OOS attendance.</p>

<p>I’m going to chime in here because topics like this really annoy me…</p>

<p>Etherdome, I wouldn’t worry too much about the whole coastie debate. I’m a freshman from Cali and it really has not been a problem. Everyone who has asked, “Where are you from?” are interested in it and don’t seem to hold any grudges automatically. Funny enough, I was asked for the first time last night by a girl if I had been called a coastie yet. This was actually the first time I had heard it mentioned since I arrived 3 weeks ago.</p>

<p>Wong, that is really a ridiculous statement to make about all coasties, I mean common. Like Wis mentioned, you’re 26 and still concerned about what freshmen do? Grow up a little bit and be mature. Perhaps you have come across one bad coastie or something, but its hardly a trend. </p>

<p>I chose UW for some of the reasons travelfun’s son did and I would do it again in a heartbeat. People around here are quite accepting and “down-to-earth” as compared to Cali and it rather annoying people like you represent the people of Wisconsin in such a low light.</p>

<p>Lastly, I think the idea of the Coastie/Sconnie debate is over-inflated here and should have absolutely no influence on one’s decision to apply or attend this great university.</p>

<p>beastman, in the 60’s and 70’s the UW had large numbers of east coast kids–hardly a new thing. It dwindled some when they cut OOS limit to 15% in the late 70’s and then rose again when that was removed a few years later.</p>

<p>That was circa the Vietnam War rioting era and some locals got upset about “OOS agitators”. Being a liberal school and open to Jews who apparently faced discrimination at east coast schools there was a draw for many, some with radical politics eons ago. Never a “coastie” or “sconnie” back then. The private dorms did exist and were off the radar for most students- my OOS friends were in Res Halls. The OOS students help the instate students learn about the wider world.</p>

<p>Cryto,</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. If my son is admitted, I am sure that he will meet some great people up there…from all walks of life.</p>

<p>Was at the football game today; left in the third quarter because it was a rout and walked around campus with my HS senior son who will apply to UW among other schools. Saw many Coasties and Sconnies all over – at the Camp, on the Terrace, on State Street. Didn’t see a single brawl or fistfight between them anywhere. In fact, everyone seemed to be having a great time together. </p>

<p>Maybe it was just the gorgeous late summer day. ;)</p>

<p>What, you didn’t stay for the 5th quarter??? And some poor student missed the game because a nonstudent got tickets… September in WI had been rainless and gorgeous, a good start to the school year.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You sound bitter about the student tickets Wis… Did you miss out on tix as a student or something? It’s his ticket he can choose to arrive and leave when he wants. At least it wasn’t given to some student who doesn’t give a crap and sells it marked up 300%.</p>

<p>As far as the weather goes, it’s been truly amazing so far and Bascom is great to sit on every afternoon :). Although it did rain here for the first time last night. Fall is a comin’</p>