Cochrane and general dorm questions

<p>Hi All - My D has been assigned Cochrane. We checked out the online info (floor plan, etc) but are a bit confused and trying to plan what to buy based on the set-up there.
Cochrane</a> | Housing & Residence | Virginia Tech</p>

<p>On the VT website they show a picture of a sink with a base cabinets and what looks to be storage built around it. Is this in the rooms or in the suite hallways? If hallways, is there one of these sink/cabinet/storage combos per room, and is this the only storage or do you also get some sort of clothing closet or dresser in the room as well? (I'm asking b/c she thinks she heard from someone that the sinks are in the hall but if thats true it seems strange to have all your clothes, etc out in a semi-public (suite) hallway.</p>

<p>Also on the floorplans are what looks to be 4 or 5 walk-in storage closets in the hallways. Is that correct?<br>
I can't tell what is a walk-in hallway closet and what is a bathroom. For a 5 room suite, are there 4 walkin storage closets and is what looks like the 5th one actually a bathroom? (So one room does not get a storage closet?) What is in the bathroom...just one toilet and one shower...no storage or anything else? Does the school provide toilet paper or does everyone go in on buying a bunch?</p>

<p>Does the school give you any furnishings for the suite living room? How do most students furnish/use the space? (I can picture it just becoming wasted space and/or a dumping ground!)
Are there things like small vaccuums or brooms that can be used/borrowed from the dorm, or do we need to buy that stuff too.</p>

<p>Also her suite/room is on the small curved wing of the building and it looks like the rooms on her side of the building are at an awkward angle. Are these rooms as awkward as they look?
What is that half circle shaped part of the building on the ground floor of this wing? Doesn't show up on the floor plan. Is this the main entrance and perhaps a big lobby?</p>

<p>Thanks sooo much for any info and/or descriptions from your experience!</p>

<p>I spent a good amount of time in 2010-2011 in Cochrane. I’ll try to answer what I can.</p>

<p>The VT website doesn’t have photos of every dorm up, so that photo is probably from the traditional dorms. Cochrane has its sink in the hallway. I believe there are the 2 standalone closets in the room for clothing and other storage, as well as 2 sets of 3 drawer dressers. I’m unsure about the closets in the hallway, hopefully someone who actually lived in Cochrane can answer that.</p>

<p>Virginia Tech does all the cleaning and provides toilet paper for the bathroom. For all the suites I’ve been in, there isn’t really storage in the bathroom. There’s extra space, so you can add storage. Most people use a shower caddy or the little racks in the shower to keep their stuff.</p>

<p>The school provides a couch, chair, and coffee table in the living room. If someone has a tv that they want to share, or they want a more spacious place to eat/study/hang out, the living room is pretty useful. Even moreso if your D’s suitemates are all friends or at least can hang out on occasion. I spent a majority of my time in a Payne suite one year, and the suite was used for almost everything.</p>

<p>On the first floor, it is a main entrance and also a lounge/study area that was recently redone. It’s really nice.</p>