Colby-Sawyer College cuts tuition to $17,500

Fyi, Colby-Sawyer College in southern New Hampshire has cut its tuition to $17,500. Total cost, including room and board, will be about $36k. It’s a nice small, private college on a beautiful campus. Strong health sciences programs and good job placement for nursing students.

If my junior were interested in nursing, Colby-Sawyer would be on our list!

6 Likes

Lasell also reduced tuition last year (although from $59 tp $40). I think those schools overlap in terms of applicants. I didn’t do a lot of research, but my sense is that they cut tuition, but the majority of students will end up paying the same price pre-cut as merit will also be cut. Lasell marketed it as “being more upfront about costs”. In other words, they wanted future applicants to see their low price up front rather than having to search the website to find merit and figure it out themselves.

According to Colby-Sawyers website, they are doing the same:
“The cost of higher education has become untenable, and for decades, Colby-Sawyer has worked to ensure that students and families did not bear the burden of the full cost of tuition. In fact, 100 percent of our enrolled students receive financial assistance to lower the cost of tuition. We recognize a need for transparency in our pricing, aligning our published price more closely with the actual price that students currently pay. We want students to know from the outset that a Colby-Sawyer education is financially realistic and achievable for them.”

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. It’s a smart move on their part because it would not have occurred to me that the published place had been so inflated. I heard about the change from a friend whose daughter will be applying to nursing schools. They were very pleasantly surprised by the news.

Olin College of Engineering in Needham, Mass. also offers all admitted students a 50% merit scholarship. It’s a strange way to market the school, IMHO.

2 Likes

Perhaps it is in incentive to get students to graduate in 8 semesters, since that scholarship lasts 8 semesters (so anyone who needs a 9th semester pays full instead of half tuition for that 9th semester).

2 Likes

Sample of one. We know a Colby Sawyer nursing grad who is a full time nurse at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. She loved Colby Sawyer, and has done very well.

3 Likes

Agreed. Good little school. Terrific nursing program with connection to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center for rotations. This is a great option for a student wanting nursing while also wanting the quintessential rural New England small private college experience. Lots of fun college traditions and school spirit (DIII sports.)

3 Likes

Agreed, Colby Sawyer has an excellent nursing program and a lovely rural campus with the look and feel of a traditional LAC. I would not describe its location as southern New Hampshire, however. It is just off route 89 in New London, NH. The southern border city of Nashua is about 66 miles to the southeast. The Hanover/Lebanon area is roughly 26 miles northwest of Colby Sawyer, hence the ease of connecting to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. New London is part of the region referred to locally as the Upper Valley, which by most definitions is centered around Hanover, Lebanon and White River Junction, VT; and includes all areas within an hour’s drive of these core cities.

3 Likes