College advice for a capable 14 year old

Hello everyone!
Lately I have been having some sort of imposter syndrome and I wanted some advice on my college application. For some background I am a 14 year old and have a 4.0 GPA and 1440 SAT. I am a very proactive teen and I love programming, I began doing it ever since I was about 8. I am experienced in many languages and I even have my own freelancing business out of it. I have several certificates from Coursera and Udemy and I will get my Associate in Engineering from my community college via dual enrollment. I also spend several hours volunteering a week. However, because of my age, I am barred from very compelling opportunities, like internships and even jobs, which may give someone an upper edge. I also do not have very many extracurricular sports, (I did Gymnastics and Fencing but never became anything major in them) I also have no awards as I am homeschooled so I have no class rank either (using an accredited high school program) My application looks very blank. I want to apply to Stanford early decision this year but is it possible that Stanford will ignore me because I am too young or wont take into consideration that I do not have chances at these opportunities

Stanford has an online high school for talented students.

https://onlinehighschool.stanford.edu

6 Likes

Simon’s Rock is focused on younger-than-typical students.

3 Likes

Stanford doesn’t have early decision. They have restrictive early action only.

Do you live near Stanford and would you commute? I’m not sure Stanford would be okay with your applying and living in the dorms with 18-19 year olds.

1 Like

It is likely you will score higher if you retake the SAT in another year or two. Waiting would also allow more opportunities for activities outside of schoolwork.

1 Like

Stanford has historically accepted some 14-15 year olds, but do you feel ready for college academically, socially, etc.?

Would you be interested in doing early college like at Bard Simon’s Rock or any of the other early college providers? It could make sense in many ways.

1 Like

Will your family be eligible for need based aid? Or can they pay the cost to attend Stanford (or other colleges…)?

Re: jobs….you aren’t too young to babysit, pet sit, mow lawns. These are all jobs that would show your independent initiative. Jobs are viewed as a good EC for applicants.

Re: sports…you could work out, take yoga, swim at the Y, train for and run 5 K races.

ETA….I would also suggest you apply regular decision. This will give you time to retake the SAT, and maybe try the ACT. As a homeschooler, IIRC, most colleges like to see the ACT or SAT scores.

But posted on the Stanford site:

“ Updated testing policy for Fall 2022 applicants

For the upcoming 2021–22 admission cycle, Stanford will not require ACT or SAT scoresfor first year or transfer applicants. … Applications without test scores will not be at a disadvantage.”

And “ Submitting a test score is optional for all applicants , including homeschooled applicants.”

As a homeschooler, I would check.

What does your course set look like?

That may be a problem for financial aid, and you may also be considered a transfer student.

What is your GPA at the Community College?

• Students who are dual-enrolled in both high school and college programs should apply for freshman admission.
  • Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to apply for undergraduate admission, but they may contact the Graduate Admissions Office at gradadmissions@stanford.edu.

I don’t think an associates is a problem for Stanford admissions. University of Florida asks if a dual enrolled student that is denied admission as an incoming freshman would like to have their application re-evaluated as a transfer applicant. Other than a potential second look by UF as a possible transfer, I’ve seen colleges put dual enrolled students in the incoming freshman pool of applicants. Aid packages did often have the higher student loan limit of $7,500 vs. $5,500. So perhaps a college that includes the student loan in a meets need package might give a couple thousand less.

Are you hoping to use some of those CC credits towards a Stanford degree?

If you want some work or volunteer experience you can set something up to help older folks out with their devices or join a group if it already exists. Advertise in churches, older folks homes, senior centers and similar. My youngest did the same and you’d be surprised just how much demand is out there. Smart phones, kindles, tablets, laptops - many want to use these things or use them more fully, but have no one to help them learn.

There were many in my son’s group and each would gravitate toward the devices they were most familiar with. It was a volunteer group, though they were allowed to accept tips, but not ask for them nor expect them. My guy actually often declined them unless those he worked with insisted. For him it was a service he liked to do to help others rather than a job. Seems to me it could be helpful on an application as well as a good service to others.

2 Likes

While this student was older and an international (and full pay), it is worthwhile seeing how her age and non-traditional education played into her acceptances and rejections.

Use the community college degree to enroll as a junior at your flagship state U, earn your 4 yr degree there in another two years, and then apply for grad school at a prestigious school when you’re 16.

2 Likes