College Board Eliminates SAT Subject Tests & SAT w/ Essay

Discontinuing the subject tests is probably due to a declining market.

Discontinuing the essay is probably because it is relatively expensive to grade, and test-prep companies have figured out how to teach mediocre writers how to game it for a good score.

It was in 2009 that Harvard’s admission director said that the subject tests and the essay were better predictors of college performance than the SAT (other than the essay) (this was before the test prep companies figured out how to game the essay, apparently in the early 2010s).

1 Like

As the parent of a homeschooled student, my advise would be take the classes as DE at a local Community College instead. From our experience, Universities are much more impressed by CC coursework than AP scores anyway (provided you are near a good CC). Also, due to Covid most CC classes are available online.

6 Likes

Also, home schooled students may not necessarily be at AP level by 11th grade in all subjects, so the lack of outside confirmation of regular high school level learning using SAT subject tests may make it harder for home schooled students to show that to colleges that may be suspicious of home school grades.

What are we going to do with all of the extra time that we will have? We don’t have to answer all of the “Should I send my 740 Math 2 score?” questions.

19 Likes

I think the big trend is to get rid off all the standardized tests in college admissions. Here in Ca the UCs have already done that.

I did not think they have gotten rid of them exactly. Instead they have indicated they will develop their own tests. Presumably they will learn they are unable to design one that meets their desires but still that is the path they indicate they are on.

Wow, I wonder if the continuing Covid issues also mean that Spring SAT testing isn’t a given. Maybe they don’t want to take slots from SAT testing to give them to subject tests.
I think a lot of kids (2024’s) were planning to get their SAT/ACT scores then worry about subject tests ( after AP’s).
Personally, I’m glad. The SAT/ACT and AP’s are enough.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood my question. There will be fewer and fewer students taking the main SAT going foward because of test optionality. Would the main SAT face the same fate?

Not sure what worry on the part of students there should have been with SAT subject tests. While today there seems to be an exaggerated perception of the need for test preparation, I remember taking the Achievement tests (as the SAT subject tests were called then) with no prep other than completing the associated high school courses (at a public school that, at the time, sent about a third of graduates to four year colleges, mostly in-state publics). Results were an 800 and two scores in the 700s.

So I would expect that students on these forums who mostly attend high SES public schools, magnet schools, or elite academic private schools would have had no problem doing well without additional prep on SAT subject tests for high school courses that they completed. Those who should have worried would be those in low quality (academic-wise) schools.

Of course, it is now no longer an issue with the discontinuation.

There has definitely been talk among UC faculty leadership and Regents to potentially use CHSPE results in UC system admissions. I just don’t see the UCs creating a new standardized test from scratch.

My D23 is an AA degree student at a community college while also taking AP courses through PA Homeschoolers. My teens are considered academically advanced (as are probably most of the kids of the parents on College Confidential), so they both have/will have a mix of AP scores and DE grades for all four years. D21 has two early acceptances so far with the maximum merit aid from both colleges and an Honors college invite from one of them, so we’re good with our planning.

For those with homeschooled kids who haven’t yet taken AP courses though, or whose community colleges might be strict with entrance requirements for homeschoolers, this is a problem. And, even with DE courses, standardized testing gives adcoms a way to compare all students from all schools and no schools. With DE, they might not know the quality of the community college - I have received different answers depending on which admissions folks I’ve asked regarding AP vs DE. DE is a good way to show the homeschooled kid fits in well in a classroom and is a valuable member of the in-person learning community, and AP gives the student standardized scores, so combining both has been our strategy, along with some SAT2 scores. The standardized score thing has been an important component, and without SAT2 scores, that just leaves AP testing, which is a PITA and, as mentioned before, difficult for some homeschooled students to obtain.

Unless those homeschooled students outsource most of their courses to established and well-know providers, like PA Homeschoolers, CTY Online, AoPS, etc.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. The worry in our house was based solely upon the availability of the tests during Covid and the time necessary to take them. No prep was intended.

My niece is thrilled with this news!

I agree that so few schools were utilizing subject tests anyway that this doesn’t come as a big surprise.

Not all DE are created equally. Most DE students are taking a high-school administered version… not on a college campus. Every college/university we have spoken to distinguished between the two. College classes on college campus carry more weight- just be careful to avoid ‘basket weaving’.

My daughter is graduating at age 16 with 60 DE credits from Community Colleges and LACs. Applied to 9 Universities/LAC; accepted to 7 (most selective) with substantial merit and 3 direct Honors College admits (other 2 decisions don’t come out for a couple of weeks). She has not had a single rejection and is being considered for multiple full rides. Yes, you have to prove competency before you are permitted to register for DE, but ultimately they carry much more weight than AP. She took ZERO AP classes- waste of time and money compared to DE for us. Standardized test scores are intended to predict success in college - if you’re already in college classes that’s a mute point. My daughter had to take the ACT to prove college readiness in order to register for classes at our community college… that was the last standardized test she took (at 14). Not a single University has had an issue with her lack of AP and test scores, it’s been the exact opposite. Everyone has their own philosophy and ultimately you have to choose what works best for your kid; but my daughter is proof that you can side-step the system and be successful without all the BS test scores, if you want. That’s my point, you don’t need the test scores for admission. All you need is to prove competency.

And she was self-schooled, not part of a homeschool community, so they didn’t care about that either.

1 Like

Good to know. All my teen’s DE courses have been on college campuses with college students. D23 would rather take DE courses only than continue with AP courses, but I would like her to continue to take one or two a year to have those standardized scores. It is nice to hear of a homeschooled kid who took the path your daughter did with admission successes. I will be very happy if the lack of SAT2 scores doesn’t hurt D23 at all considering her DE coursework.

1 Like

More and more schools have been test optional every year over the last 5 years and more and more students have taken the SAT every year over the last 5 years.

Not that I know of. That’s why I asked “which test” in response to “If a test is no longer required,”

They’ve already concluded that creating their own is not possible. So now they’re evaluating using a different existing standardized test to replace the existing standardized test that they used to use. After rejecting the recommendation for their task force that spent a lot of time considering the topic that recommended they keep using the standardized test they were already using.

1 Like

With the cancellation of the subject tests, hopefully the CB might broaden access to AP tests. If not, I agree, that makes things harder for homeschoolers, as well as for students who attend schools that don’t offer the AP curriculum but self study to take the tests to demonstrate mastery and obtain college credits.

They might also revisit the cost, as AP test fees can mount quickly. Although they are relatively modest compared to the cost of a college course, paying for 4-5 of them at once can be a lot for some households to absorb.

Needless to say, my kid is thrilled with me that I prodded her into taking her subject tests and the SAT (with essay) early to get them out of the way. Who knew they would be completely unnecessary by the time she applied? However, given all of the upheaval wrought by COVID, the elimination of these tests as a necessary hurdle is the least of our worries.

2 Likes