College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

@barcino My son got the Hispanic notification at 10:30 am CST this morning. Not sure if it matters - but we are in Texas.

This (and college admission notifications) is always an exercise in extreme patience. Hang in there. They are trickling in.

3 Likes

@AnonDad2026 @timan2000 @martinezcs

The details of what used to be the called the National Hispanic scholarship at ASU are now listed under COLLEGE BOARD NATIONAL RECOGNITION at National Scholar | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu) as the program name has changed.

I do not believe that getting into Barrett is a requirement to get the scholarship. However national scholars (NMS and NHRP in the past) typically apply to Barrett and enroll and I think that it makes sense to do so. Application to Barrett is a separate application that one can submit after being admitted to ASU.

If you enroll in Barrett as a out-of-state national scholar you should get the full tuition scholarship. You will however have to pay not only for room and board (in the order of 15K/year) but also for the fees:

1. The Barrett fee of $1K/semester FAQs | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)

2. Undergraduate college fee of up to $900/semester Fall 2021 | Academic Catalog (asu.edu)

3. Student-initiated fee of up to $319/semester

Note that you may however apply for scholarships on top of the national scholarship to offset those fees.

Furthermore note that all colleges have fees on top of tuition (sometimes charged per credit-hour, sometimes a flat fee per semester based on the chosen major like at ASU). The fees charged by ASU are reasonable compared to other colleges.

If you are in-state the scholarship is lower but the tuition is much lower so you get some leftover money that you can apply towards the fees. If you still have money left after that, then you can apply it to room and board. Note that in that case there could be some minimal tax implications (as room and board are not qualified education expenses).

3 Likes

My daughter received her acceptance e-mail this morning! I’ve been trying to make my way through all the options in the link you provide and still can’t find any definitive scholarship amounts for in-state students. Did you see anything that provided that info?

1 Like

We got ours in Texas!!!

1 Like

@EsAhoraDeComer

In the past you would go to ASU First-year Student Scholarship Estimator | ASU Scholarships and click “I am a National Scholar” as it was made totally clear that NHRP qualified as national scholars.

I believe that CBNR are still considered national scholars as they are listed under National Scholar | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)

So, I would do the same as before but I suppose you could contact ASU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services to double-check that nothing has changed via New American University Scholarship – National Scholars | ASU Scholarships

See also handout at national_scholar_handout.pdf (asu.edu)

2 Likes

Yay so my daughter received her notice 40 min ago! This is in NJ.

3 Likes

quick question - when you put this down as a recognition what do we put? National Hispanic Scholar or Hispanic National Recogition Program Scholar?

1 Like

Do the colleges who offer scholarships get a list from the college board? We filled out the ASU application last night and it didn’t even have a place to indicate national recognition program scholar (or any other honors).

Yes they do get a list.

2 Likes

Thank you, that was really helpful!

2 Likes

We got AA one last night at 930 PST. We are in Arizona.

1 Like

My daughter received her acceptance email yesterday in NM. It went to her junk folder!

2 Likes

Just talked to University of Kentucky. they are no longer offering automatic scholarships for this. They are just included in the “competitive” scholarships. So disappointed. My daughter received full tuition there, my son is hoping to go there too. Guess he can apply for the scholarships and see if he gets one.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that UK does not offer an automatic scholarship for NHRP/CBNR anymore. I suppose that is a circumstantial evidence that the value of CBNR is being diluted compared to NHRP as @franknd suspected would happen in his earlier post College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

3 Likes

Ybarra in Texas. No notice yet. My son did get the rural one in a 60k population suburb of Austin. ??

2 Likes

Are there any others from California?

Son received his at 11:30 ET this morning but I just saw it now when he got home. We are in FL and self nominated. What a relief to finally get the email! Congrats to all!

2 Likes

I am really starting to panic. My son was a homeschooled, January test date, with self-nomination.

Yes my son got his email today at 10:08am. Self nominated in CA.

Does anyone know how and when schools are notified? Certificate in mail, email to counselor, etc.?

1 Like