College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

University of Central Florida (UCF) appears to still offer a National Hispanic Scholarship but the criteria to qualify and the amount are unclear.

Contact to get more information (same as for NMS) is provided on that page National Hispanic Scholarship | UCF Office of Student Financial Assistance

1 Like

Wichita State University (WSU) in Kansas still says that WSU National Merit Scholarship is open to National Hispanic Recognition Finalists (~12.5K/year scholarship). Criteria to qualify are unclear, and no mention of out-of-state tuition waiver.

Best to contact university for details via WSU National Merit Scholarship (wichita.edu)

1 Like

Iowa State appears to also offer something to National Recognition Program recipients but criteria to qualify and guaranteed amount are unclear (full-tuition is possible but not guaranteed as only one hundred “George Washington Carver” full-tuition scholarships are available).

Contact information available at National Scholars | Office of Admissions (iastate.edu)

EDIT:
Retroactively adding link to page on automatic freshmen merit awards mentioned by @AnonDad2026 in post 424 which can serve as baseline ($11K/year for 3.50 GPA + 30 ACT / 1360 SAT for out-of-state students): Freshman Awards - Military dependents living abroad | Office of Admissions (iastate.edu)

2 Likes

Iowa State - can be considered for Automatic Freshman Merit Awards, merit based and do not preclude from other financial aid. For automatic award enter state and look at table based on GPA. Range from $1500 to $11,000 (based on Texas) lowest GpA on table was 3.0. Plus student can try for the GWC Award as mentioned.

2 Likes

Full tuition scholarship at Southwestern Adventist University in Texas.
Link:

Screenshot

1 Like

Yes, this Rural and Small Town Recognition Program list is crazy! I have just noticed that the Lawrenceville School is listed. Some consider it to be the best private boarding high school in NJ. They charge over 70K/year!

Tuition and Affordability - The Lawrenceville School

2 Likes

So skimming from several threads and the long list that was an attachment, this is the list of schools that I could no longer find mention of NHRP or CBRP scholarships. In some cases I found archived mentions of scholarships that are no longer offered - some within the last year, some have not been offered for several years.

Alma College, Ball State University (discontinued per webpage), Bethel College, California State – Long Beach – President’s Scholar’s Program -after extensive search of web site, found that NMSC and NHRP disappeared from applicability in their catalog after 2018-19, Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic University, Fort Hays State University (seemed to be tied to Honors college in past, but no longer mentions NMSC or NHRP), George Washington University, Hendrix College, Johns Hopkins (was $1500-$5,000), Knox College, LSU, Miami University Ohio, New Mexico State University (used to be Conroy Honors), North Carolina Central University, Ohio State University, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma State University, South Carolina State, Texas Christian University, University of Alabama – Huntsville (Full tuition in fall 2021, doesn’t seem to exist anymore) - UA Birmingham still has a partial a UA Tuscaloosa stil has full tuition, University of Arkansas – Monticello, UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, University of Chicago (up to $10k), University of Kentucky (Patterson Scholarship), University of Rochester, University of Texas – Dallas, University of Vermont (Vermont Merit Scholarship – had to be a resident, finalist for NMSC or recognized by NHRP – no longer offered since 2016 and amount went down final year– from UVT web site), Vanderbilt, Wesleyan College (Georgia), Westminster College, Wheaton College, Worcester Polytechnic Institute

If anybody has info that disputes any of these please feel free to point me to a link - I just couldnt find anything.

I have a list in alphabetical order of schools that still offer - with links - I can post that later

7 Likes

Looking forward to the list! Don’t you think that it makes sense to also include scholarships that are automatic based exclusively on test-score and GPA (like Alabama Huntsville) or where the automatic part is based on test-score and GPA with a separate additional competitive component (like Iowa State), or where the automatic baseline is based on test-score and GPA and the additional component automatic (like University of Arizona used to be until last year and will hopefully remain where NHRP would give $5K on top of potentially already very generous baseline)?

1 Like

That’s an interesting proposition, but I think a much more daunting task. For example I know my child would qualify for the full U Arizona tuition scholarship without the NHRP based on SAT and GPA. I could add U Utah to that list and others, where the SAT scores and gpa would automatically qualify for full or partial tuition scholarships regardless of NHRP status. Some of the schools I listed as no longer having NHRP, the scores and GPA would be good enough for automatic scholarships at some of them, but since this was an NHRP discussion, I stuck to that. We may need to start a different t thread to tackle automatic scholarships based on SAT scores and GPA.

2 Likes

OK, FWIW - I said I would put together my list so far, and here it is. This is in no way meant to be all inclusive, just trying to gather the latest in one spot. I scoured through 3 or 4 threads plus a large attachment and looked at what schools were listed in the past as offering some form of scholarship for the National Recognition Program (Now College Board Recognition Program). I focused on NHRP, sometimes called NHS. If I saw any others listed (African American, Indigenous, or Rural and Small Town Recognition) , I noted it - but I probably started that about half way through. Please feel free to add to the list - i already posted a whole long list of colleges above from the list I had that I could find no indication that they are still offering NHRP/CBRP scholarships.

2 Likes

LONG POST - some of these will be repeats, but wanted to get everything in one place

Abilene Christian University:

First Year | Abilene Christian University (acu.edu)

College Board National Recognition Programs- African American, Hispanic American or Latinx, Indigenous or attend school in a rural area or small town

$6,000 per year for four years to students recognized through any of these programs

In addition to other scholarships

National Merit Finalists, Semi-Finalists and Commended Scholars*

National Merit Commended Scholars are awarded an additional $2,000 scholarship, per year, that stacks with their merit-based award

Andrews University:

Scholarships :: Andrews University

Scholarships Funded by Andrews University

National Merit Finalist Scholarship, National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars, APS/SAT Scholarship

A special Andrews Partnership Scholarship that covers 100% tuition for four years for incoming freshmen with a cap of 144 credits and limited to a degree.

Arizona State University:

New American University Scholarship – National Scholars | ASU Scholarships

National Scholar | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)

College Board National Recognition Program recipients who are admitted to ASU will receive the New American University Scholar – National Scholar award

Full Tuition

Austin College:

Scholarships for New Students - Austin College

Scholar Awards

National Hispanic Scholars will receive a $2,000 Austin College Sponsored Award in addition to one Austin College award (general academic or institutional) ($18,000-$31,000)

Birmingham-Southern College:

Types of Aid Available (bsc.edu)

In addition to Academic Scholarships, National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Scholars and National Hispanic Scholars may receive annual renewable scholarship of up to $2,000

Based on CBRP requirements should be eligible for Merit scholarships between $6,000-$11,000/yr

Boston University:

Merit Scholarships for First-Year Students at Boston University | Admissions (bu.edu)

College Board National Recognition Programs - National Recognition Program Scholarships | Admissions (bu.edu)

$25,000 – competitive

Carleton College:

Frequently Asked Questions – Student Financial Services – Carleton College

Students who are finalists in National Hispanic Recognition Program are eligible for Carleton scholarships of $2,000 per year.

Colorado State University:

Scholarships for Entering Non-Resident Freshmen | Office of Financial Aid | Colorado State University (colostate.edu)

Green and Gold Scholarships will be automatically granted to:

National Hispanic Scholars who list CSU as their first-choice institution

automatically receive the highest level of the Green and Gold Scholarship for non-residents

$3,000 /yr

Florida Gulf Coast University:

Admissions Scholarships & Waivers (fgcu.edu)

Florida Resident – full cost of attendance
Non-Resident - $10,000 /yr

If awarded the Blue & Green Scholars Award, would be $10,000 + $15,000 /year

B&G Scholar: Non-Florida Resident; 3.9 weighted GPA and 1320 SAT (Evidence Based Reading and Writing plus Math) or 28 ACT; Higher test scores may be considered if submitted after admission; subject to scholarship availability and posted deadline

There is a B&G Director’s Award for $10k with lower stats

Florida International University:

Find Scholarships | OneStop | Florida International University (fiu.edu)

Types of Scholarships

Merit Scholarships - National Hispanic Scholars

Amount not listed – found this after digging again: FIU Collegeboard National Recognition Programs (African American, Hispanic, Indigenous, or Rural and Small Town Recognition) - Students who qualify for Presidential/Ambassador scholarships and are selected as a finalist. Awards full tuition, stipend for books and $1000 stipend towards meal plan each semester.

Scholarships | Admissions | Florida International University (fiu.edu)

Indiana University – Bloomington:

First-year Scholarships: Future Scholars: Office of Scholarships: Indiana University Bloomington

IU National Hispanic Scholarship

Automatic: $1,000/yr

Iowa State University:

National Scholars | Office of Admissions (iastate.edu)

National Scholars

National Recognition Program:

Students can be considered for Automatic Freshmen Merit Awards. They may qualify to apply for our prestigious full-tuition George Washington Carver Scholarship.

These awards to not preclude you from other merit based or financial aid based awards from the school

Freshman Merit Awards: enter your state for values – the awards are automatic based on table – lowest GPA is 3.0 – range from $1500 to $11,000 a year. The higher value awards start at 3.3 and 3.5 gpa (unweighted)

(These are based on the state I looked at – may be slightly different for others)

George Washington Carver Scholarship – 100 awards – full tuition - Identify as American Indian or Alaskan Native, African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, Desi American, Hispanic or Latina/ox, or Multi-Racial – there is a whole page about this scholarship

https://www.admissions.iastate.edu/scholarships/freshman/

Juaniata College:

Juniata College | admission scholarships-and-aid index

Distinguished Scholars Award - National Hispanic or National Achievement recognition, Apply by January 1 of your senior year, awarded an additional $2,500 scholarship

Kenyon College:

Scholarships & Grants | Kenyon College

Kenyon Honor, Science and Trustee Opportunity Scholarship

NHRP – sort of, read the description

$25,000/yr

Mississippi State University:

National Hispanic Recognition Program | Office of Admissions and Scholarships (msstate.edu)

$40,000 over 4 years

Non-resident students may also receive a scholarship to cover 100% of the out-of-state portion of tuition

Sounds automatic

New College of Florida:

Out-of-State Freshmen | New College of Florida (ncf.edu)

New College National Excellence Award

Scholarship Value:

Florida Resident: $6,000 per year ($24,000 over 4 years)

Non-Resident - $20,000 ($80,000 over four years)

Northern Arizona University:

National scholars awards | Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (nau.edu)

National Hispanic Scholars: Covers 100 percent of tuition; they do not cover fees or other expenses. $1,000 stipend provided each year for the first two years of attendance.

National Scholars Award winners also receive automatic entry into NAU Honors College

Northeastern University:

Scholarships for First-Year Students | Student Financial Services (northeastern.edu)

Northeastern National Scholarships

$15,000-$30,000 (rumored) – web page doesn’t day

NHS, NAAS, NAIS, NRSTS

Competitive

Can be combined with financial aid

Pacific Union College:

Scholarships - Pacific Union College (puc.edu)

National Merit, National Achievement & National Hispanic Recognition Awards

No amount listed

National Merit, National Achievement & National Hispanic Recognition Awards

Purdue University:

Freshman Scholarships - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University

NATIONAL RECOGNITION PROGRAMS SCHOLARSHIP (last row of table)

$1000/yr

Rochester Institute of Technology:

RIT National Hispanic Scholar Award

$2,000/yr

Southern Methodist University:

National Merit and National Achievement Scholarships - SMU Enrollment Services

SMU provides a scholarship of up to $5,000 annually for students who have been named a National Merit or Achievement recipient.

Stackable

Southwestern Adventist University:

Scholarships | Southwestern Adventist University (swau.edu)

Merit Awards

National Merit Finalists and Semi-Finalists (for details)

National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) Scholarships – Full Tuition

St. Olaf College:

National Merit Scholarship Program – Financial Aid (stolaf.edu)

$2,000/yr

Texas A&M University:

Scholarships - National Scholars (tamu.edu)

National Scholars – National Recognition Programs

Texas Resident - $6,000/yr - $24,000 total

OOS - $4,000/yr + OOS tuition waiver - $16,000 + 108,000 total

Texas State University:

National Scholarships : Financial Aid and Scholarships : Texas State University (txstate.edu)

National Scholarships

Award Amount

$2,000 Distributed annually, $8,000 Total award

Union University:

Scholars of Excellence Program | Undergraduate | Admissions | Union University, a Christian College in Tennessee (uu.edu)

Founders Scholarship – full tuition room and board, & fees – 1 - competitive

Scholars of Excellence – all who meet criteria and compete for above will get this scholarship – amounts vary

University of Alabama – Birmingham:

Freshman Scholarships for Out-of-State Students 2022 - 2023 - Undergraduate Admissions | UAB

National Scholarships:

National Hispanic Scholar, National African American Scholar, National Indigenous Scholars, National Rural/Small Town Scholars - $2,500 per year ($1,250 per semester)

(looks like this used to be full tuition, one year housing, 1 yr $1000 technology fee and 1 yr $2500 study abroad)

University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa:

Diversity Merit Scholarship – Scholarships | The University of Alabama (ua.edu)

The cost of tuition for 4 years (8 semesters)

$1,000/year stipend for 4 years (8 semesters)

First year of undergraduate on-campus housing at regular room rate

Listed under Resident Scholarships, so not sure it is available to OOS – although nothing on the eligibility description says you must be a resident

University of Arizona:

2020-2021 Terms and Conditions | Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (arizona.edu)

National Scholars Tuition Award – *Non-Arizona National Scholars: the value of the original Arizona Tuition Award + $5,000 National Scholar Award. See “Arizona Tuition Award” for University of Arizona merit review and offer details.

For Value of original Arizona Tuition Award see table here:

2022-2023 Incoming First-Year and Transfer Tuition Scholarship Awards | Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (arizona.edu)

University of Central Florida:

Pegasus Scholarship Programs | UCF Office of Student Financial Assistance

National Hispanic Scholarship

Amount isn’t clear, but it seems like it can be full tuition, but probably can be less too

University of Cincinnati:

Cincinnatus Distinction Scholarship - University of Cincinnati Admissions | University Of Cincinnati (uc.edu)

In-state tuition – an annual value of approximately $11,000 (a $44,000 value over four years)

There are some other factors for out of state offsets

University of Connecticut:

Merit Scholarships | Cost & Aid | Undergraduate Admissions : Undergraduate Admissions (uconn.edu)

Nutmeg Scholarship – Connecticut residents only - competitive

Full Scholarship including direct and indirect costs (about $35k/yr for direct costs)

University of Evansville:

Scholarships for Entering Freshmen - Fall 2022 - Student Financial Services - University of Evansville

National Hispanic Scholarship

Awarded to National Hispanic Scholars.

Students awarded this scholarship will not pay any tuition out of pocket.

University of Iowa:

First-Year Non-Resident Scholarships | Admissions - The University of Iowa (uiowa.edu)

For National Recognition Program Scholars: African American or Black, Hispanic American or Latinx, Indigenous who enroll at Iowa

Provost Scholarship

$3,000/yr

University of Kansas:

Scholarships | Admissions (ku.edu)

National Merit and National Hispanic Merit Finalists (Kansas residents only)

Kansas students who are designated as National Merit Finalists or National Hispanic Scholars will have $1,000 per year added to their award. Renewal criteria is the same as other merit-based aid.

University of Nebraska – Lincoln

Cost & Aid | Undergraduate Office of Admissions | University of Nebraska–Lincoln (unl.edu)

Chancellor’s Tuition Scholarship

Full Tuition Per yer

National Hispanic Recognition finalists must score a minimum of 28 on the ACT (or SAT equivalent)

University of New Mexico:

Scholarships | The University of New Mexico (unm.edu)

$11,000/yr (NHS, NAAS, NAIS) – competitive, limited, renewable

University of North Florida:

UNF - Admissions - Freshman Merit Scholarships

Wells Fargo Endowed Scholarship - $2,000/yr

Presidential Scholarship Endowment - $5,000/yr – florida resident

University of Oklahoma:

Scholarships (ou.edu)

National Award

Competitive

No amount listed

But with same criteria it lists, you would qualify for the Distinguished Scholar award (which I think is automatic if you apply by deadline) which is $13k a year (A little better quals gets you $14k a year) (Non-residents)

University of Richmond:

Scholarships for First-Year Students - Financial Aid - University of Richmond

$750-$2000/yr

National Hispanic Scholars are strongly considered for the Presidential Scholarships as well

Presidential Scholarship = to 1/3 tuition

University of South Carolina:

Scholarships for Nonresidents - Office of Undergraduate Admissions | University of South Carolina

Provost Scholars Award-

Annual value: Up to $6,000 + tuition reduction

Four-year value with tuition reduction: Up to $104,400

University of South Florida:

Freshmen Scholarships for FL Residents | USF Office of Admissions

NATIONAL RECOGNITION AND HONORS SCHOLARSHIPS

USF Tradition of Excellence Awards - College Board Recognition

$5,000/yr and a study abroad scholarship

The award is stackable with the USF Presidential, USF Directors and USF Scholars Gold Awards.

University of Tulsa:

University of Tulsa online Presidential Scholarship Application (utulsa.edu)

Must meet one of the Eligibility requirements: National Hispanic Scholars who rank in the top 10% of their graduating class

Full tuition for 4 years

Western New Mexico University:

Available Foundation Scholarships - WNMU Foundation

WNMU Sponsored Scholarships

National Hispanic Scholar

Covers housing, books, tuition and fees for eight semesters

Wichita State University:

WSU National Merit Scholarship (wichita.edu)

WSU National Merit Scholarship - Open to National Merit Finalists and National Hispanic Recognition Finalists

Estimated value of $50,000 over four years, with eligibility – but can be combined with other scholarships

Willamette University:

Willamette Scholarships, Financial Aid

$1000 – NHRP

8 Likes

Wow, @AnonDad2026 this is amazing!! Thank you so much for your time and effort in putting this list together!!

2 Likes

Nice work @AnonDad2026

Two minor observations:
For ASU out-of-state scholarship is indeed full out-of-state tuition (worth about 120K over four years), but for in-state it is currently a flat 16K/year, equivalent to full in-state tuition + ~5K/year which can be applied against fees and/or housing (so worth only about half the out-of-state scholarship on paper but worth an extra 20K over four years in practice due to the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition rates).

For University of New Mexico, new non-resident freshmen with a 3.0 GPA or a test score of 20 ACT or 1030 SAT may be eligible to pay the tuition and fee rate of New Mexico residents if awarded a scholarship, in which case it appears that the $11,000/y would stack. @WayOutWestMom can probably confirm.

2 Likes

Actually I don’t know if the two scholarships can be stacked. You’d need to contact UNM’s Scholarship Office and ask.

1 Like

Thanks! Technically it would just be one scholarship + out-of-state tuition waiver like a few universities seem to do but you are right that it should be confirmed by contacting the scholarship office.

ref: Cost of Attendance :: Office of Admissions | The University of New Mexico (unm.edu)

# Provost Scholarship

I also came across this one this afternoon - Not sure if National Achievement works - some schools seem to use them interchangeably.

University of Tennessee:
Provost Scholarship | One Stop Student Services (utk.edu)
This four-year scholarship is awarded to National Merit finalists and National Achievement finalists.

In combination with the National Merit Scholarship, it is valued at $2,000 per year and may be added to other scholarships awarded by UT. It is available to both Tennessee residents and out-of-state students.

2 Likes

So on this page UNM Admissions & Support I found these words:

“**Non-New Mexico Resident National Scholars and Regents Scholarship award winners also receive the Amigo Scholarship to cover out of state tuition.”

The ** is next to NHS and NAIS as well as National Merit and Regents Scholarsip.

Our school recognized the scholars yesterday. :tada:

13 Likes

Was everyone’s school notified via email? My son got an email, but super annoying that the school did not. They checked spam folder, etc. I emailed CBRP, but you know how helpful they are - they said the school should have received it, check spam folder. They have not replied to subsequent follow-up from me. My son was also one who never received an invitation (and should have - took PSAT normal date, qualifying score, etc.). Thanks!

Does anyone have a phone number for CBRP that actually works and has someone answering that can help?? All I can find is the general College Board number, and they don’t have a clue.

1 Like