College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

My son’s school says they were not notified. School of 2000 kids. Only 2 were even eligible!

1 Like

@collegework Have you tried emailing them?

National Recognition Programs

Email

info@nationalrecognitionprogram.org

1 Like

Hi there! Do you know if this applies for University of Alabama-Birmingham and Huntsville as well, by chance?

I don’t know, but it shouldn’t be hard to figure out. If you google those schools and national merit scholarship, you should quickly be able to find the answer. Typically if they include CBRP in their scholarship program, it will say it there.

1 Like

The US News best undergraduate engineering programs rankings for 2022 were released this morning:

ASU #36, up from #42 last year Discover why the Barrett experience is right for you. | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)
Northeastern #45, up from #48 last year
Boston University #52, up from #53 lat year
University of Arizona #52, up from #53 last year Honors Village | Honors College (arizona.edu)
University of Kentucky #96, down from #90 last year Home | Honors College (uky.edu)

2022 Best National Universities | US News Rankings

3 Likes

See my alphabetical list not too many posts above - UAB - yes (partial), UA - full tuition plus, UA Huntsville - used to but not longer seems to qualify

2 Likes

Adding 2022 Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (Doctorate) rankings from US News to list from @AnonDad2026 for quick reference:

Abilene Christian University: ?
Andrews University: ?
Arizona State University: 36
Austin College: ?
Birmingham-Southern College: ?
Boston University: 52
Carleton College: ?
Colorado State University: 72
Florida Gulf Coast University: ?
Florida International University: 147
Indiana University – Bloomington: ?
Iowa State University: 45
Juaniata College: ?
Kenyon College: ?
Mississippi State University: 96
New College of Florida: ?
Northern Arizona University: 162
Northeastern University: 45
Pacific Union College: ?
Purdue University: 10
Rochester Institute of Technology: 56
Southern Methodist University: 114
Southwestern Adventist University: ?
St. Olaf College: ?
Texas A&M University: 15
Texas State University: 195
Union University: ?
University of Alabama – Birmingham: 131
University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa: 96
University of Arizona: 52
University of Central Florida: 81
University of Cincinnati: 86
University of Connecticut: 72
University of Evansville: ?
University of Iowa: 63
University of Kansas: 86
University of Nebraska – Lincoln 86
University of New Mexico: 96
University of North Florida: ?
University of Oklahoma: 96
University of Richmond: ?
University of South Carolina: 96
University of South Florida: 114
University of Tulsa: 183
Western New Mexico University: ?
Wichita State University: 147
Willamette University: ?

2022 Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (Doctorate) | US News Rankings

My take: Purdue and Texas A&M are the best ranked engineering programs that offer guaranteed merit to CBNRP recipients, but it is somewhat small. ASU is the best ranked engineering program that offers full tuition. Other top-60 programs that may offer something to CBNRP recipients are: Boston University, Iowa State University, Northeastern, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Arizona.

3 Likes

Have you seen any stats for Barretts specifically rather than ASU overall. My assumption is the graduation rate and other stats would be more favorable than the overall ASU stats. Comparing ASU to TAMU for example TAMU has higher graduation rate and higher salary for graduates etc. But I would think if we compared Barretts grads to TAMU grads the comparison would be more equal but I can’t find Barretts stats specifically. Have you seen any or have any comments? We are going to Sun Devil day in November! We’ve already visited TAMU.

1 Like

According to the book Inside Honors 2018-2019, the actual Barrett Grad Rate (actual grade rate for students who entered the program six years earlier, whether or not the students remained in honors) is 90.0%.

Unsure about salaries.

See also Facts and Figures | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)

2 Likes

ASU Barrett is a lot of work beyond the usual engineering degree. Many engineering students drop out of Barrett before graduation. It is an excellent honors college, just many find it more work than necessary. My siblings and I years ago, as well as my daughter just recently, all started in Barrett but left before graduation.

2 Likes

In case anybody wants to know how they stack up on specific programs, I’ve added 2022 specific program rankings - Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (Doctorate) rankings from US News to list from @NJEngineerDad where I could. Some programs they rank the top 30+ schools, some the top 20+, some the 10+, so that is why there is a limited number of schools where I added breakdowns. I may have missed a couple A&M and Purdue rankings:

Arizona State University: 36 : Biomed - 29, Mechanical - 21, Electrical -22, Environmental - 17, Civil - 17, Computer - 20
Boston University: 52 : Biomed - 9 , Mechanical - 30 (offers an Aerospace concentration), Electrical - 31
Colorado State University: 72
Florida International University: 147
Indiana University – Bloomington: ?
Iowa State University: 45 : Civil - 22, Industrial - 20
Mississippi State University: 96
Northern Arizona University: 162
Northeastern University: 45
Purdue University: 10 : Biomed - 23, Aerospace - 4, Chemical - 14, Mechanical - 8, Electrical - 11, Civil - 6, Computer - 11, Industrial - 2
Rochester Institute of Technology: 56
Southern Methodist University: 114
Texas A&M University: 15 : Biomed - 33, Aerospace - 10, Chemical - 15, Mechanical - 12, Electrical - 14, Civil - 8, Petroleum - 1, Industrial - 13
Texas State University: 195
University of Alabama – Birmingham: 131
University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa: 96
University of Arizona: 52
University of Central Florida: 81
University of Cincinnati: 86
University of Connecticut: 72
University of Iowa: 63
University of Kansas: 86
University of Nebraska – Lincoln 86
University of New Mexico: 96
University of Oklahoma: 96 : Petroleum - 3
University of South Carolina: 96
University of South Florida: 114
University of Tulsa: 183 : Petroleum - 5
Wichita State University: 147

3 Likes

Update on University of Arizona- for Arizona Residents only (southern Arizona Residents)

Murphey Foundation Scholarship - A scholarship for National Merit Finalists and national Hispanic Scholars residing in Southern Arizona to encourage them to attend the University of Arizona Honors College.

Eligibility: For entering freshmen from Southern Arizona (Cochise, Graham. Greenlee, Pima, Pinal, Santa Cruz, and Yuma Counties), National Merit Finalist or National Hispanic Scholar.

Award Amount: $3,000 annually plus a one-time stipend of $1,500 to for study abroad, research, internship support.

1 Like

The University of Alabama has now updated their website for the 2022 entering class. No change to the scholarship.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/diversity-merit-scholarship/

5 Likes

The University of Arizona has reduced their OOS CBNRP scholarship by $2k/year, down to $3k/year from $5k/year.

https://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/2022-2023-terms-and-conditions

Our school district recognized all 67 of the CBNRP students at the district board meeting this evening and presented each with the Keller ISD Trustee’s Merit award certificate and pin. They also recognized the 5 national merit scholars. It was a nice ceremony. I hope other schools/districts are doing the same.

6 Likes

Congrats! I don’t believe they do that at Frisco ISD. I wish they would.

1 Like

Sad. You now need to combine a 4.0 GPA with the CBNRP scholarship to fully cover OOS tuition (which is now close to 37K/year). A 3.5 GPA with the CBNRP scholarship will not even cover half OOS tuition.

I guess that the university felt that CBNRP did not warrant the same level of support that NHRP did.

On the plus side, it seems that it is possible to stack another 1K/year if picking Engineering.
See Incoming First-Year Student Scholarships | University of Arizona College of Engineering

I’m curious for things like that do they recalculate the gpa on a standard scale? For example at my daughters school they have a low scale. In fact at the board meeting tonight that was a hot topic. 100=4.0 99=3.9 etc so a 90 in a class is only a 3.0. An 80=2.0 etc. So the gpas of students are pretty low compared to many other districts. My daughter is in the top 10% and has all A’s but she doesn’t have a 4.0 unweighted gpa. She has a 3.5 unweighted. The AP classes are 5.0 and dual credit is only 4.5 so she has a 3.9 weighted. But same thing
100= 5.0 AP or 4.5 DC
99 = 4.9 AP or 4.4 DC and so on…

I strongly believe that they recalculate the GPA considering only “core” classes up to the end of Junior year.

Based on what is written at High School Competency Requirements | University of Arizona Admissions I assume that the core classes are English, mathematics, lab science, second language, social sciences and fine arts but is it not explicitly stated and could be wrong.

2 Likes

In our school district, AP classes were only worth 4.5 (Honors were 4.25). Students had typical unweighted GPAs, but artificially low weighted GPAs. I told my son to always report his unweighted GPA rather than his weighted GPA whenever asked because most forms would assume that the weighted GPA was out of 5.0.

1 Like