College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Yeah my daughter has only done a few AP classes, she did more dual credit instead.

The fact that GPA scales are not uniform across all US high schools is pretty lame.

I like standardized test scores because they offer a good way to compare students across high schools but it seems that the trend is to move away from them.

Just a couple years ago, two Subject SATs were a must for all the top US Engineering schools. Now the College Board does not even offer them anymore. I really wonder how top schools are picking their students nowadays.

In some countries, entrance exams are popular. They might become popular here too?

4 Likes

(Amending original post: Per reply from @franknd below to this post, I agree your daughter would likely get the full $38,000 applied to her account each year. Congratulations on a great award!!!)

In terms of how University of Arizona (and ASU) compute GPA: If your daughter has only A grades on her transcript (as you state above, no Bs), then for sure she will compute at 4.0 and get $35,000 + the $3000 of CBNR. The fine print says it applies to ONLY base tuition as a max award, and NOT the mandatory fees, really the award is worth less than $38k. But regardless of exact amount, count on free base tuition for all four years, but that you would be charged about $2300 a year in ‘fees’. (The figure includes honors college fees since she will be auto-admit to Honors with CBNR).

2 Likes

If you use this UofA tuition calculator, it will show you what the actual ‘tuition’ costs vs what the fees are for a semester. Times 2 to get a year.

2 Likes

Here are their instructions:

We ask that you input your high school course grades according to the University of Arizona’s standard letter scale to assist in our evaluation process. Grades should be entered unweighted. You must have your high school transcript, or official grade report, with you when filling out this section. If you are having trouble converting your grades into a letter scale you can refer to our conversion guide. For classes in which you are currently enrolled, please select a grade of In-Progress. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at admissions@arizona.edu or (520) 621-3237 if you have additional questions.

Numerical Grade Conversion Guide

90% or above converts to an A
80-89% is a B
70-79% is a C
60-69% is a D
59% or below converts to an F

IB Grade Conversion Guide

6 or 7 converts to an A
5 is a B
4 is a C
3 is a D
1 or 2 is an F

4.0 Scale Grade Conversion

3.5-4.0 converts to an A
2.5-3.49 is a B
1.5-2.49 is a C
1.0-1.49 is a D
Below 1.0 is an F

2 Likes

I don’t think this is correct. The Terms and Conditions make three pertinent statements:

Award Amount

National Scholars include National Merit Finalists and students selected for the following College Board National Recognition Programs: African American, Hispanic, Indigenous and Rural/Small Town.

2. Non-Arizona Residents: the value of the original Arizona Tuition Award + $3,000 National Scholar Award. See “Arizona Tuition Award” for merit review and offer details.

Multiple Awards and Tuition Programs

1. Students offered multiple awards that are designated to cover base tuition cannot receive more than 100% of the cost of tuition from the combination of the awards. The base tuition amount does not include differential tuition, fees, surcharges, room and board, books, or other expenses.

How the award is applied

This scholarship is applied to undergraduate tuition charged through the Bursar’s Office at Arizona. Any amount in excess of base tuition will pay towards program or mandatory fees, differential tuition, room and board, books or other expenses.

So, the National Scholar’s Tuition Award (for OOS) is one award with two components, not multiple awards. Therefore, the “multiple award” limitation does not apply. And, the amount in excess of base tuition will pay toward fees, etc.

2 Likes

Interesting and sure hope you are right on that. That would in fact give the award a $38,000 value. Our D22 is in the same situation which is why I have been digging into this topic as much as I have. But yes, that last sentence you highlighted appears to ‘reopen’ things beyond base tuition for this one award. Thank you!

Thank you!

1 Like

Anybody knows if a hard copy of the NHS certificate will be mailed to us? TIA.

I can 100% confirm the award is $38k value. I do not necessarily agree that it is 2 awards, based on the notice.

1 Like

Yes, we logged back in and there was an update to our award. The full 38k! Grateful.

7 Likes

is that guaranteed if you’re a recognition scholar, or do you have to apply and hope you get accepted? Because i’m a national hispanic recognition scholar :hear_no_evil:

No guarantee at BU. See College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums and College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

1 Like

Very nice! Congratulations! My daughter received the Hispanic Scholar award. Our high school only acknowledged the National Merit Scholars. A bit annoying. I looked at our HS Twitter page and last year they did acknowledge the one boy who received it, but not until November. Hoping that they publicly acknowledge.

1 Like

I dont think admission is guaranteed per se, but I think if you are a NHRS, you will be accepted and then the $38k award at UofArizona is guaranteed as in acceptance to the Honors College.

Caveat: when the revised award came it is National Scholar Award for $38k. It doesn’t break it down, but if you follow the method as described by franknd above, using the original Arizona Tuition Award (in D21 case Arizona Distinction Tuition Award) + $3000, so you would use the table based on unweighted GPA to figure out award amount and add $3000. (it used to be GPA and SAT scores) (4.0 - $35k, 3.9-3.99 would be $30,000 for example, etc). There are 3 level of Arizona Tuition Awards, and a range in each based on GPA.

BTW - just yesterday D22 received first email from a college congratulating her on her status as a National Hispanic Scholar (Cal Poly) and then today she received another from University of Richmond. Has anybody else been hearing anything from schools before this? Scholarship already from UofA, but application submitted there. Nothing else was heard from anybody until these two emails. Oddly, Cal Poly is not in the list of schools gathered that offer scholarships. Richmond is.

Yes. My daughter received the same emails.

My daughter received the same email from University of Richmond. That was her first acknowledgement from any university, I think.

My daughter received the same emails from Cal Poly and University of Richmond. She also received an email from UofA congratulating her as a National Scholar and saying she is eligible as AZ resident for a tuition award of up to $18,000. I suppose the extra money ($18,000-$12,700) can be used for expenses that are not related to tuition. Am I right?

How the award is applied

This scholarship is applied to undergraduate tuition charged through the Bursar’s Office at Arizona. Any amount in excess of base tuition will pay towards program or mandatory fees, differential tuition, room and board, books or other expenses.

2 Likes

All: Does anyone know whether all students who are National Hispanic Scholars are admitted into Texas A&M or that is not necessarily the case? The website has the amount of scholarship awarded only. I am getting nervous about admission. Thanks.

1 Like