College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Ok. Gotcha. Just making sure.

Adding to this…

Self-nominate if your kid didn’t receive an email invite when you see them coming out.

1 Like

For those who have been looking at U. Arizona for some time. Am I reading it correctly that NHRP + a 3.8 GPA could mean $20k per year in merit aid for out-of-state students? Having a problem putting the numbers together on their website.

20k for the 3.8+ 3k for NHRP = $23,000

2 Likes

Hi all - just posted this to an ASU specific thread; and going to share it here as well:

Another Texas family here cancelling a trip to ASU in November (My son is a CBNRP - Hispanic). Our high school hosted a college fair last week, so I asked the ASU rep when to expect scholarship info (my son was already accepted; was working on his Barrett app). She told me about the changes; that they decided it wasn’t fair to the kids who were not able to take the PSAT. I don’t agree because College Board gave the AP option, but it is what it is… so when we heard his max award would be only $15,500, really no point. It wasn’t my son’s top pick anyway, and I’m glad we found out now than later. He won’t be finishing the Barrett app. We then approached the U of Arizona booth. He received $30k with his acceptance there; and she told me that it is a sure thing and that his Hispanic Scholar recognition would be an additional $3k, and it will show up soon. He’s auto admit into their Honors program; she said that notification will come later as well - I think she said December / Jan. Now, I had my other son with me ('24) and she made a point to tell me that U of Ariz is going to change their scholarship matrix next year, so starting with '23 high school grads so I shouldn’t expect my younger son to get anything like the scholarships my '22 grad received!! So any of you with '23 and younger - be aware!

2 Likes

University of Arizona Honors will for sure get their strongest OOS incoming class ever this year given ASU’s sudden change. Also, in case this is not on your radar, UofA’s Honors College will continue it’s upward trajectory next few years with this huge naming gift:

4 Likes

scoobs1998: thanks for that info. disappointed to hear about arizona though; it’s been on our radar for our 2023 kid. :frowning:

My son won’t be finishing the Barrett application either. But we will definitely make a visit to Tucson.

I’m afraid this is all of a piece with both the watering down of CBNRP requirements and the more general cutting back of merit awards in favor of need-based financial aid, which was already happening.

Cal Poly does now offer a scholarship for CBNRP. My daughter received this in an email from them today.
“Upon admission, National Recognition Honorees are awarded a $3,000 Cal Poly Merit Scholarship which is renewable each year as an undergraduate.”

3 Likes

Can someone give me more information about the Hispanic Recognition Program at Texas A&M? Are national Hispanic scholars automatically admitted to the university if they apply? Is 1370 SAT high enough or should my son retake the test? Any other information I should know?

You do not get auto admittance. You only get auto admit if in top 10% of your class. You do get the scholarship automatically if admitted. It is important to apply early to A&M. ASAP. Some majors are full by early November.

Also @bachstra are you Texas resident? The top 10% auto-admit is for Texas residents.

His SAT score is fine for A&M, no need to retake.

We are Texas residents but homeschool so do not have a class rank. I was wondering if being a National Hispanic scholar was another way to earn auto-admittance but it does not seem to be the case.

As finishing the Barrett application is not very demanding, you might want to reconsider in the unlikely event that ASU scholarships get tweaked again in the Spring. See Arizona State Class of 2026 - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Arizona State University - College Confidential Forums

1 Like

Thanks for sharing with the other thread

1 Like

Same - also received a mail flyer from Penn State with the same info as that earlier email congratulating her on being a NHRPS etc, scholarship opportunities, etc.

For those still looking for schools that still give healthy scholarships to NHRP - Mississippi State is up there in terms of scholarship amounts. NHR Scholarship is $10k and a Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship for NMF/NMSF/NHRP which is full OOS tuition adjustment scholarship of about $15.7k for Nonresidents. So that is full tuition for starters and you can apply for more. Also admission by invitation to Shackouls Honors College for NHRP (if done before Dec 1).

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate the information. But I look at it like a resume pool. The first cut is about eliminating candidates for easy reasons, which this one is. Moreover, I would be stunned if they revisited this decision in the Spring or anytime really. They have financial analysts and know to a near certainty what effect this will have on reduced OOS Merit scholars and decided to proceed nevertheless. OU (Oklahoma) did the same thing three years ago re NMSF and hasn’t gone back. And that had been their national calling card for years.

2 Likes

I agree with @franknd approach to this topic after writing our ASU admissions rep. Expressed concerns about OOS changes, got this back as response:

"Unfortunately, we no longer offer full-tuition scholarships for National Scholars. Our top scholarship is now the President’s award which is that $15,500 per year scholarship.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. "

@franknd @NJEngineerDad I had noted in my email to our regional coordinator to please forward it to anyone who would be interested in our feedback about the change to the National Scholar Program. Also by the way my husband and I are originally from Arizona and are ASU alumni which I was sure to mention. Anyway the person I sent it to did forward it on and I did receive a response from a person in charge of strategic recruitment initiatives. Here is part…
We genuinely appreciate the feedback regarding the change to the non-resident National Scholar award at ASU. Before making your final decision, in addition to the financial aid notification that your daughter should be receiving in December, please join us for the ASU Scholar Experience to learn more about ASU’s resources and support for National Scholars. This includes a funding session, which may help you to discern additional opportunities for funding that your daughter has available to her at ASU and within Barrett, the Honors College.

So we may attend the ASU scholar experience zoom meeting to see what they have to say about funding.

3 Likes