College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

The National Scholar $6,000 per year scholarship is displaying already in my daughter’s Howdy portal in the financial aid portal for Texas A&M! :grinning:

5 Likes

We got an email from Fordham offering full tuition with Hispanic National Recognition. YEarly tuition is $54K. Of course room and board fees are higher than many schools but it is still an awesome offer for someone that wants to go to NYC.

10 Likes

Hi, I have a question. I am trying to see if the same thing appears in my son’s Howdy portal and when I select the financial aid portal it asks to set up DUO NETID two factor authentication, so we did that. It then asks for a push/call, which we do and then it doesn’t do anything else. Every time we try to access the financial air portal it asks to set the DUO NET ID. What are we doing wrong?

Hi! Did you download the app? It requires an app download. The duo mobile app

We just got the 7 Howdy tabs today and will also qualify for the National Scholar award. Where is it in the FA tab? Is in in the “Award” tab within the FA tab? If so, it’s not there yet for us. Thanks.

1 Like

First make sure you go into Howdy, not the AIS. Then click the link for financial aid portal. The awards page will display all scholarships there. It also has a printable version of the award letter on the page too. It took awhile after she was accepted for this to appear in her financial aid portal. So don’t worry if it doesn’t show up immediately.

1 Like

I took the PSAT in January 2021. I did not get the original email telling me I qualified for this–my school counselor told me and encouraged me to apply on the website. I received notification in August that I was selected. Just a few minutes ago, I got the following email:

Congratulations! Your score on the January 2021 PSAT/NMSQT® qualified you to apply for one or more of the College Board [National Recognition Programs]
Please read this message in its entirety as it contains vital information on how you can apply for this prestigious honor before the application closes on November 18.

While our eligibility criteria typically requires students to take the PSAT/NMSQT in the fall of their junior year, we’ve decided to add an additional eligibility window and include students who took the PSAT/NMSQT in January of their junior year. Your impressive performance on that test is proof of your high academic achievement during the 2020-21 school year.

You qualified for the following award(s):

• Rural and Small Town Recognition Award

• Hispanic Recognition Award

If you currently have a 3.5 GPA or higher and identify as African American or Black, Hispanic American or Latinx, Indigenous, and/or attend school in a rural or small town, we encourage you to apply for this prestigious academic honor, which can help you stand out in college admissions and qualify you for scholarships.

The deadline to submit your application is Thursday, November 18, 2021, by 8 p.m. ET. This application is free of charge. Please apply as soon as you can, because this deadline won’t be extended.
[Apply Now]

You’ll be notified of your award(s) in early December.

Sincerely,

College Board

4 Likes

@mexdirect Did you see this post from CO22?

1 Like

My son also received this email and we are thrilled. We expected to receive an email earlier in the year and didn’t question it until after the original deadline. The application was very easy to complete and was basically confirming address, school and attaching a transcript. Do all students that meet the GPA minimum get the recognition?

2 Likes

I just came to post the same thing. We self-nominated and got it back on August 31 and today received the same email.

My son received the same email today as well. Is everyone filling out the application even if you already self l-nominated and received the award?

I did it again, but only because I did not know I qualified for the small town/rural award. I have no idea if it makes any difference if I am recognized for both, but I figured why not?

1 Like

My son received the email today as well. Honestly, I was surprised as his score was less than 1200 and he took the PSAT in January. This is different from when I was a student, is this award granted automatically from the College Board when he fills out the application? When I was a student my school found out first and notified me and I completed an application with essay to compete for a scholarship (didn’t get it).

1 Like

Somebody posted on here a couple weeks ago about bad advice from a guidance counselor and not applying for NHRP back in May, was it @mexdirect? Looks like there is another shot for January test takers.

1 Like

Yes as long as he has a 3.5 gpa, completes the application, uploads the transcript, they will process his application and issue the award. Some schools offer scholarships to college board national recognition program scholars. Some do not. It is worth doing. It does open doors and scholarship money!

2 Likes

Yes, this was one of the big ones I listed in my list way up above. The biggest scholarship from a private school by far, and once campus is NYC right near Central Park and Lincoln Center. My daughter got an email about the scholarship a couple weeks ago too. Unfortunately they have a very small list of majors at both campuses.

1 Like

Thanks, he does qualify and I am super excited about this!

2 Likes

@martinezcs I just want to make sure I’m understanding correctly, as long as the application is completed, the GPA is over 3.5 and the transcript is uploaded, the student should receive the award?

2 Likes

I really hope so! I have this same question. One of my twin sons just got the notification and sent the application yesterday. He had taken the test in January. His twin brother got the same score but had taken it in October 2020 and never got the notification. I emailed the national recognition program about this and they said it’s too late for my son that took it in October because they aren’t accepting those applications anymore. But we didn’t know that he could have been eligible. This makes a huge difference in scholarship and tuition for some schools.

2 Likes

That is my understanding.

2 Likes