College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Interesting to note, that the sections of Phase II have to be accessed sequentially with the first step being the Essay and the last step being the Letter of Recommendation. Who came up with that idea? So, you can’t access the questions until you enter the essay, and you can’t enter the required documents until you answer the questions and you cant enter the recommender until you enter the required documents…

2 Likes

Agree. We noticed that too. So annoying.

1 Like

Ok - found work around - D just went and entered a paragraph of text from one of her essays in the field, hit save and it opened the next field. Next field, she entered he current top choice (I wish they would let you put currently deciding between these 2 schools, or these 3 schools) left the 5 words blank, but it opened the next field. Which was the required documents field. Entered everything there except the transcript and that opened the next field which is the LoR field. Will go back and fix essay paragraph later. The key is that the later you submit the name the less time the person you put in has to submit your LoR.

3 Likes

Congratulations! my son also advanced.

3 Likes

When are winners announced for HSF? I hope you’ll all keep us posted on this-how exciting! Cheering your kids on for some good money $ attached too :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Ok, i’ll bring it back around to CBNRP - NHS now too. Since way back when I posted that giant list of colleges that offered scholarships for CBNRP recognition a lot has happened - like, most of senior year and the entire application process and now all the acceptances/rejections. Some of you may notice I even changed my screen name since I posted that list. I figured that my name, plus schools I was posting about, made me potentially identifiable, so I wanted to be more anonymous. All that being said, I feel like it’s time to give some results after this long, brutal, stressful process. How were we all lucky enough to have kids applying to college in the year of test optional, record applications, and lowest acceptance rates ever?

So, from an CBNRP National Hispanic Recognition Program front - D22 was offered the NHS scholarship at UofAz plus biggest merit scholarship they offer, for a total of $38,000/yr. Also, MissSU - NHS for $10k, plus in state tuition, and first year room. Those two alone amounted to over $254,000 in scholarships over 4 years. Also accepted into Honors College at both without specifically applying to the Honors college. She also was accepted to Boston University and received the Presidential Scholarship and noted it was for her recognition as a National Hispanic Scholar. That’s $25k/yr, for another $100,000. Never applied to Alabama, but as late as a week ago, she received another email inviting her to apply and that she qualified for the National Hispanic Scholars and to come for a VIP campus tour - which would be full tuition, etc we have already discussed.

Of course, in the end she will not choose the first two for sure and Boston U’s chances are fading away, but not completely out of contention.

3 Likes

Ok, so it sounds like you are asking what $ offers did students get that are tied specifically to Hispanic National Recognition Program from College Board. Great idea to memorialize this info for the next applicant group. Here are the offers our D got:

1. Texas A&M. We are in-state, so she got the $6k/year offer. TAMU does not give out much merit overall, so that is a big award by their standards. (if OOS, it’s in-state waiver + $4k/yr)

2. University of South Florida. Basically free tuition and fees because she got the max merit award ($12k/yr) and the $5k/year National Recognition. OOS tuition there has been frozen the last 10 years and stands at $17,324. They take the sticker price as a point of pride, and it is really quite a value for anyone interested, especially with the new Honors College building that opens sometime in Fall 2022. Don’t hear about it much on these boards, which is why I am writing a bit more about it now, to memorialize for the next wave of applicants.

3. University of Arizona. Basically free tuition and fees. $35k max merit award + $3k National Scholar = $38k/yr. She loved the Honors College there when we visited.

4. Arizona State University. Got max OOS award for National Scholar, but that was only half tuition this year ($15.5k), they cut their program down from full tuition last few admissions cycles. Making this the most expensive on this list. (Footnote: Barrett Honors was her first choice going in, until the change in scholarship policies spiked the four-year cost by an extra $60k+ we were had not factored into our planning.)

It’s possible there was another one in there that I am not recalling. It has been a blur of a process! (I do recall she applied to Fordham, but withdrew it before the stage of scholarship consideration, for example. The risk of isolation in a big city like NYC in any future COVID lockdown scenario was a bit too much to get past)

Those are the ones I can recall we applied to specifically with the national recognition program as part of their incentive structure. We visited Alabama but it just was not her vibe so she didn’t bother applying.

5 Likes

Results:

Texas A&M:
$6K per year for 4 years for CBNHRP.
$500 from a summer recruiting event for under represented students (Parent Program).
$2500 received at another recruiting event for under represented students (LEAD Summit).
$27,000 total
*I think she was automatically qualified for their Honor college based on the CBNRP but she wasn’t interested due to the dorm requirement. (It’s no Barrett!)

SMU:
No scholarship for CBNRP
$15K/year Founder’s Scholar
$5K/year Meadows Scholar
$1500 Meadows Scholar support grant
$81,500 total

ASU
No CBNRP for since out of state.
President’s Scholarship $15,500/year
Accepted to Barrett, the Honors College. Separate application, not automatic.
$62K total

UT Dallas: No CBNRP scholarship
$3,000 per year for top 10% of graduating class.
$12K total.

Accepted A&M

5 Likes

Really appreciate you all sharing your experiences and " bottom line" offers. Sounds like a mix of great packages and some pretty moderate. As a junior mom, this is extremely helpful as my son begins to narrow down his search and decide which colleges to apply to.

3 Likes

Same here. Very helpful. Thanks to all.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is going to be a class of 2023 thread for this. I know emails are coming out soon.

2 Likes

Must feel good to have a decision - this whole process has been so draining.

In the end, CBNHRP might not help her with tuition in her school selection, but it may still have helped with her application and admission and with scholarship applications. Currently deciding between: Johns Hopkins, Duke, Swarthmore & Northwestern. With an outside chance of BU. Only BU gave CBNHRP money, others gave various degrees of grant aid. Two waitlisted schools, that we aren’t going to wait on could potentially come into play, but extremely unlikely. Have a couple admitted student days lined up over the next couple weeks.

2 Likes

I should clarify my post. When I said “Accepted A&M”. I meant she accepted their offer. She was accepted at all of the listed schools in my post and received the scholarships listed. She enrolled at A&M. :grinning:

4 Likes

Has anyone received CBNRP email this year yet? My daughter rectitude off her sophomore testing, she should qualify this year too. I was thinking it was April last year

1 Like

It was around April 15th or 16th last year.

1 Like

My son got similar scholarship from A&M as martinezcs D got minus the $500 from summer recruiting, but he got the Lechner scholarship for $10K. All this totals $36,500 which translates to about $13K/yr out of pocket for us (in state). So I will say A&M is generous. He was between A&M and OU which offered him a generous scholarship ($101K) as well. he accepted A&M (College of Science). Stats- 4.3 WGPA (3.9 UWGPA); 1400 SAT; CBNHRP; AP Honors Scholar, top 7% of his class (Plano ISD HS).

5 Likes

Sorry to bring it back to NHF… I had completely forgotten about the scholarship and my son hadn’t mentioned receiving any emails. Well, after reading these posts I just checked the portal and saw the message that he’s able to apply to phase 2. My son seems to have a problem reading emails! :rage:

My question is: at this late stage, do you think it would be ok to simply use one of the rec letters he got from one of his teachers for his college applications? One in particular he never used. It was intended for a school that required one more letter than the others and he ended up not applying to it. It’d be nice to make use of it and not inconvenience another teacher this late in the year. But not sure if the tone would be different.

This whole thread is super helpful. I have a junior and a senior so I’m also following the info related to NM and CB recognition. My junior has already been designated a CB Hispanic recognition scholar from last year so now waiting on final verdict on his junior year PSAT which I think put him in commended range. Sounds like we find out in a few days. I’ll tell my junior son (who also suffers from the same inability to read emails).

Thanks for all the valuable info!

3 Likes

Hi! In the reference section he just needs to put the recommender name and email and they will send a form to the recommender. We chose her guidance counselor who we knew would jump on it and complete it in a timely manner and she did. So I would have him choose someone he knows is quick to respond to things and email that person to give them a heads up-Can I use you as a recommender for the HSF, you will receive an email with instructions, etc.

We set up a gmail for our daughter (and are starting the same for son) that we have them use for everything college related that we both check regularly. They manage their own school email and I never check it and once they go to college I won’t check that email either but for now during the college/scholarship application/admission phase I think it is just too much for them to keep track of themselves while in school full time and working part time. My daughter has her school emails, course work, clubs, volunteering, working, and is dual enrolled at the community college so she has to check that separate email and manage that separate learning platform too. I stay out of all of that but I am heavily involved in the application/admission process for college admissions and scholarships.

Funny story recently she mentionned an invite for PTK (National Honor Society for Community College Students) when she handed me her phone and I looked at it and then did a search for all emails re PTK to get more details because it seemed like it wasn’t the first contact and sure enough they have been inviting her for awhile through her community college email that I don’t check. This was the third semester that she qualified for membership. :woman_facepalming: She hadn’t noticed it before or realized the significance. Fortunately PTK keeps inviting eligible students each semester until they join. It’s her last semester so better late than never I guess. But I teach at this particular community college so I am familiar with it and it is the most well recognized organization/honor society at the community college. So she joined and is getting inducted! Basically just something to add to the academic resume at this point.

My daughter missed the CBNRP invite initially. She scrolled past the invite but I saw it when I checked and checked it out and brought it to her attention. It can be hard for them to know what is spam and what isn’t.

So your kid is definitely not the only one missing emails!

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, for University of South Carolina he got a Provost Scholars Tuition Reduction worth over 20K a year, so that brings tuition down to about 12K and then a provost scholar award of 6K minus a 500 for some merit award. Tuition is only 5.7K. It’s a great school and amazing offer. I’m sure it’s NHS related but maybe not 100%. I find it difficult to assess but that is how it’s done at many schools as NHS gets you in the running and some money and then they look at your entire application to see what else can you get.

2 Likes

@timan2000 I must have misread your original post. When you said 5-6K/year for tuition, I thought you meant tuition, room and board. My son received the tuition reduction to in-state, the Provost award and the Elite award. He decided to go to SC and is excited to be a part of the Honors College too! Has your son decided where he is going to go?

2 Likes