College Class of 2025 Waitlist Thread

Williams College officially closed their waitlist today without taking anyone off.

UC Santa Barbara closed their waitlist today.
Update: UC San Diego also closed their waitlist today. UC Davis’s waitlist closed last week.

1 Like

Michigan closed their waitlist yesterday.

Do you think other than those SMI students for Spring admit, they let anyone in?

Middlebury: “We were waiting a little longer to close the wait list, but it’s not looking like there will be any movement this summer. We have a lot of extra juniors staying on campus this year because their study abroad programs have been suspended.
Sorry, I know this is not the news you were hoping for.”

A good friend just texted me: Pomona contacted her to see if she [her daughter] was still interested in a space off the waiting list, got her hopes up, was very encouraging and then rejected her. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Seems unkind and possibly unethical. I’d love to share any perspective or advice

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say this never happened, at least not at described.

The post brings to mind a quote from SpongeBob, “Why, once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy’s cousin
”

Or, from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off;: “My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.”

Or, from REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On The Run:” “Heard it from a friend who / Heard it from a friend who / Heard it from another you been messin’ around”

“This is the first time AnneM1 has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!”
Welcome AnneM1. That would be disturbing. Wonder what was going on there.

2 Likes

Uh, you missed one from Spaceballs:

Dark Helmet: I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.
Lone Starr: What’s that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing

2 Likes

Cal Poly Pomona or Pomona College? If the latter, then did this happen recently? I thought I had read that Pomona College’s incoming class was overenrolled, but I may be mistaken. Was this an email? If so then it was likely sent to multiple applicants and meant just to gauge continued interest. If a call from an AO, then I understand your friend’s frustration but it does happen.

Until an actual offer of admission is extended, the application is still being evaluated (otherwise the AO would just extend the offer.) And when an AO reaches out it may not be to not only to gauge interest (for yield purposes) but also to explore some other aspect of the student’s application. So, as for “advice,” it probably isn’t a bad idea to think of such contacts as part of the application process, like a second interview. The call may be a good sign, but an acceptance is not yet a done deal. This is true of every contact an applicant has with an AO, until a final decision is made.

I was going to ask the same thing. Even if it was Pomona isn’t that one of the schools that informed their freshmen that they do not have enough housing? So even if they did tease her with the asking if she was interested, that wasn’t an offer, and maybe a good thing, since they wouldn’t have had a place for her to live anyway, so they did her a favor by rejecting her.

NYU closed their waitlist