College decision advice

Hi! I am a biomedical engineering major who recently applied for undergraduate admission for the fall 2023 quarter. I need some help with my decisions and choices:

1. USC Viterbi Pathways Plan - I got offered a place in this program where it’s basically a guarantee (according to previous people online) , with the help of USC counselors, where I can transfer in sophomore year straight to the engineering school. I am leaning towards this because I have a great CC and I could definitely maintain the GPA that will get me into admission for USC 2024.

2. Penn State BME

3. Rutgers BME

I am a California resident, so the costs are around the same for Penn State and USC (30 k difference in total). I would like it if you guys could share your input and thoughts, especially about the USC program if anyone has experience.

Thanks! (Still waiting on a couple school but mostly reaches)

To me #1 is a no go. I mean, why take a pathway if you are looking for a four year experience? And when you get there, everyone knows everyone - and you know no one. So to me, these aren’t real options (for the student) but they’re money makers for the school.

Both Penn State and Rutgers are solid. Are you wanting to go that far? The schools are different with Penn State sprawling and harder to get to - but really nice, have you been?

I’d chose the one you like best of those two.

Good luck.

1 Like

Rutgers BME is a well respected program, and worth considering if cost is not an issue. Are you planning to attend Admitted Students Day? Have you toured the campus?

Hi! Thank you for the advice :slight_smile: I am leaning towards USC because it’s been my dream school and I could see myself being the happiest there. With my interest in USC, would it be worth taking this pathway for?

I haven’t toured the campus, but I am thinking about it!

In my opinion no. It would not.

But I will tell you there is no dream school.

All schools have kids who complain about the roommate or food or kids don’t include them. Or bad profs etc.

Kids get these fascinations in their mind but it’s bunk. A dream school does not exist.

Every year we read about tons of kids looking to transfer from their dream.

And tons who went went to an undesirable kicking and screaming saying they can’t see themselves anywhere else.

If money is no issue go cheapest but for four years, not three. Your dream school might not be so easy when you don’t know anyone and everyone else does. USC is not a UC on that the cc pathway is as regular. It exists but not like a UC.

Is distance from home an issue ? If so, Arizona is still taking apps, is excellent for engineering and has great merit.

You have to decide of course. But when I first read your email, SC was the easiest to cut in my mind.

Good luck whatever you decide.

For the transfer option:

1. You have no guarantee
  2. Miss your freshman year
  3. It costs more overall

I don’t like it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.