College Depression

<p>I keep hearing from students that go to college and come back during the summer that the novelty of college wears off and that it is not that great, and how much they work, and are stressed, and often times are genuinely depressed. is this common for people, and has this happened to anyone specifically in UW madison. Im so excited to attend this fall, but A-holes like that keep giving me doubts</p>

<p>I've stopped asking college kids what college is like because they respond with less than awesome experience like what you mentioned, but thankfully none of them went to Madison and I have heard few but great things about time spent at UW. I suppose it comes down to the fact that a University is a place for learning and if you go into it with the wrong priorities and expectations then you will probably get a shock and end up unfulfilled and stressed. So I'm going to go in as a student and if I have fun along the way, that's fine with me. If this outlook sounds too morbid, then that's okay with me because the opposite will leave me worse.</p>

<p>Hmmm... College is definitely not like the TV program "Greek" or whatever. And honestly, you wouldn't want it to be a constant party... then you aren't taking advantage of the academics or ECs. </p>

<p>In my opinion, most college misery comes from students who didn't choose the right school for them, aren't happy with their major, or don't take care of themselves like they should. Some students I know, for whatever reason, major in chem and every night yell "I hate this!" while doing homework. Other students try to do too much and end up running on one hour of sleep during the week... then they get burnt out... Other students just never really considered what they honestly wanted out of college and end up going to a school that doesn't offer what they need.</p>

<p>But life is a learning experience. If you don't know what makes you happy, you'll def have the opportunity to find out. And that's the real fun of college-- having the opportunity to discover yourself.</p>

<p>Good answer</p>