College help

I’m currently a senior in high school and I want to get into uc riverside. My stats are not terrible but I think I should have done better. I have a 4.2 gpa and I took 5 ap classes. I took the sat and got a 1480 but sadly they’re not using the sat this year. I think my extracurriculars are kind of lacking. I tutor math for 2 hours 5 days of the week since freshmen year, I work, I was in a computer science program, I volunteered to help in a science research project for the summer, and right now I’m volunteering in a mental health program. What are my chances at admission? Should I consider this school a match or a reach?

The UC’s use 13 areas of criteria for their application review but the UC GPA is probably going to be one of the most important factors.

Below are some UC admit stats and you look competitive for several UC campuses depending upon intended major. UCR looks like a possible safety school for you if your capped weighted UC GPA is 4.2.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 38%
UCLA: 35%
UCSD: 71%
UCSB: 73%
UCD: 84%
UCI: 55%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 97%
UCM: 98%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)
UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)
UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)
UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)
UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

In normal times, I’d call UCR a match/safety but, with the SAT in flux and a lot of Covid deferrals, and gap years will make this year highly unpredictable.

Please apply broadly, perhaps 3-4 UCs (maybe UCSC, UCR, UCI and UCSB)and include a few CSUs (SDSU, CSULB and CPSLO perhaps) and see how it shakes out.

You are really likely to get into several of them - so you will have options for next year.

good luck.

“I tutor math for 2 hours 5 days of the week since freshmen year”

This is a very good extracurricular activity.

“I work”

This is also a very good extracurricular activity.

I do not think that you need to worry about your ECs. Universities know that some students need to work to earn money to help out the family. These ECs show a significant level of maturity and ability to stick with something. Tutoring also helps out other students, and requires a mastery of the subjects that you are tutoring. These are all pluses.

I should add your stats and ECs are really solid, including a few privates might also be a good idea. USD, LMU and Chapman would probably offer enough merit money to make them compelling.

again, good luck

At this point, I’d try to get as many acceptances as you (practically) can - then evaluate and decide which to choose. That should probably include some UCs, some CSUs, a few privates, and perhaps even OOS. A CC can be added pretty late in the process.

What are your stats/qualifications/budget and what are you looking for from your college experience?

@cereallzz: You have another discussion posted regarding the same subject although you have expanded your questions. From your other thread: **

I have a 4.2 gpa and I took 5 ap classes. I took the sat and got a 1480 **

I will post the UC admit rates from your other discussion here:

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 38%
UCLA: 35%
UCSD: 71%
UCSB: 73%
UCD: 84%
UCI: 55%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 97%
UCM: 98%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)
UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)
UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)
UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)
UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

You are qualified for all the UC’s but apply widely and see where you end up getting admitted. If you are not happy with your choices, then community college can be your backup option.

Where you go for Undergrad will not determine where and if you get into PA school. What is important is getting a High GPA and having access to medically related EC’s which are a requirement for PA school. Also you want to keep undergrad costs low, since PA school can be expensive.

There are so many schools in California where you would excel, so apply and do not worry, you will get in somewhere.

I would focus on getting accepted to a 4 year school and have CC as a back up.

You might add UC Davis to your list of UCs. They have a very strong pre-health program. Cal Poly SLO is one of the few colleges where undergrads have the opportunity to work on a human cadaver.

I’m a senior in High school and I want to go to PA school in the future. I really want to get into UCSB, UCI, UCR, and UCSD. Those aren’t the only schools I’m applying to btw. Anyways, I’m worried that I might not get into them. If I don’t get into them do you suggest that I go to community college for 2 years and then try and transfer? Or should I just go to another 4 year university?