college junk mail - and the winner is....

<p>"The application process is OVER for christ's sake!!"</p>

<p>But I guess it's not for schools whose slots are not yet filled. Last week my son got a mailing from Texas A&M, saying there was still time to apply I thought, "How can there still be room at A&M?" I looked closer-it was actually our good budies at A&M Commerce.</p>

<p>D is in 10th grade and has gotten tons of mail/email. Probably the most prolific emailer was Villa Julie - they were sort of stalkerish, as another poster suggested. They would say things like, so and so contacted you and you haven't responded, and they would come everyday, sometimes more than one per day. Originially, all emails were coming to me, so I started responding to them and changing the email address contact so D would receive them instead - I have no idea if she does or not, but I get very few of them now. </p>

<p>By regular mail, I think Furman is spending the most money as they are sending out booklets every few weeks. The printing costs on those have to be enormous. So far, I believe she has only received one phone call, from Sacred Heart checking to see if D had seen "the red packet" they had sent out, and asking that she return the enclosed information card. </p>

<p>None from WUSTL, but some from Emory and Vanderbilt. I was a little surprised because I had heard that WUSTL sent out a lot of junk mail.</p>

<p>Marymount. Don't know how he got on that list. He applied to Fordham which should have ended that since they are now part of Fordham and you can only apply to one location, but he still gets calls, and cards from Marymount. I've told them numerable times that he was accepted to Fordham, but the calls continued.</p>

<p>Mississippi State ...late May last year DD got info on Orientation - even tho she had never applied, never requested info, never responded....</p>

<p>re post #22 - we got the Sacred Heart phone call about the red packet too!!! We didn't get any red packet, but its okay, I assume Sacred Heart doesn't have an active Hillel presence...</p>

<p>WashU and Miss. State..... please save some trees and reduce your junk mail!</p>

<p>My S has been getting stuff since -- the seventh grade. Guess that's what happens if you take the SAT through Johns Hopkins University's program. For fun, we've kept a list in a computer file. It's up to nine pages, and we've got to add in two more from yesterday.</p>

<p>I think he likes it more when he gets free stuff -- a flash drive from N.C. State, a shirt from Oral Roberts, baseball cap from Tulane and all those magnets and posters. He also gives a lot away.</p>

<p>Rochester Institute of Technology.</p>

<p>S#1 received very regular mailings from them during his high school years. Now they are sending info to S#2. The only "trigger" for S#2 - he took the PSAT this past fall as a hs soph. RIT ignored D, though her math scores were just as solid as her brothers. I recall Swarthmore was excessive in sending info to her. (One piece being a truly bizarre DVD which totally turned us off the school!)</p>

<p>I started a similar thread to this a while back, and there were quite a few posters who thought I was off-base and crazy when I said that we were eliminating from our consideration any school which hounds us with e-mails and other correspondance--especially the stalkerish ones that say stuff like "We've been watching you!" People thought it was short-sighted of us and we might miss out on some wonderful lesser-known school who was trying to let us know about itself.</p>

<p>I'm sorry, but if you're so desperate you have to bombard my D with mailings, then you can't be that good of a school. And you're pretty out of touch with the thinking of smart kids like her if you seriously believe your stupid e-mails would appeal to her in any way.</p>

<p>
[quote]
WashU and Miss. State..... please save some trees and reduce your junk mail!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Better yet.. SAVE MONEY!!! If they didn't send out a million things, maybe cost of attending wouldn't be so high!!</p>

<p>^^ Yes! Yes! Rochester Institute of Technology. Ugh. </p>

<p>Also, Furman and Fordham.</p>

<p>NYU and WashU are the worst offenders.</p>

<p>My S got a lot of mail from Washu too and we're glad we got it. </p>

<p>Here in CA, it doesn't have much of a profile and the mailings helped put the college on my son's list for a visit, gave him insight into the unique programs offered and conveyed a good feeling about the place which was borne out completely when he did visit. Advertising serves a purpose. If the mailings are effective --- bringing them high-achieving, NMS-winning students such as my son from outside their region --- then WashU ought to keep doing it. It's a great college; they should keep on getting the word out.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think they don't fall under Do Not Call List

[/quote]
</p>

<p>and that is because the student checked a box indicating a willingness to receive mail from such organizations.</p>

<p>hops_scout,
Wash U. was the worst offender for both my kids during the application process. My personal theory is that they send so much mail to make the kid feel "wanted" and to try to get them to apply for both the economics of the application fee and for the enhanced number of applications which will lower their acceptance rate, resulting in an improved image.</p>

<p>I sort of have that feeling, too, about Wash U and several other schools. The only scores I figure they have access to is the PSAT and my son's was not all that great. His SAT was a lot better but if you just add a 0 to his PSAt, no way would they even consider him.</p>

<p>re post #34 - did the check off box say I agree to be called? I honestly don't know; thought it was just for mail.</p>

<p>Oh, yes, noting that detail of your post, I think the phone calls only come if a student reveals a phone number, and I'm not sure how that happens. (My son has logged in on some college websites after initial emails, and he has provided phone numbers to some colleges of interest, while ignoring most of the emails entirely.)</p>

<p>There shouldn't be any college in the land that makes money off of application fees. Admission office expenses per applicant are MUCH higher than the highest application fee in the land, according to a NACAC study. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.nacacnet.org/NR/rdonlyres/4B4C0DF4-BF0A-4B10-89F4-A3D631061305/0/06StateofCollegeAdmissionpdf.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nacacnet.org/NR/rdonlyres/4B4C0DF4-BF0A-4B10-89F4-A3D631061305/0/06StateofCollegeAdmissionpdf.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Even without having checked any boxes, D can depend upon a weekly (sometimes more than that) mailing from Colby, this has been going on since the beginning of the school year. As good a school as it is, it would be the LAST place that she would go, because a former competitor in her sport that she cannot stand (and she can count the number of people she can't stand on the fingers of one hand) goes there. Maybe she was recommended by this person, who knows??</p>