College-level math question

Wasn’t sure where to put this …

One program my daughter is considering makes all nursing students take Algebra I and II. She is currently taking AP Calculus.

I don’t know if she will be able to test/CLEP out of Algebra to fulfill that requirement. I don’t want her to test out of it and still have to take an even higher math class. I need to ask if they will take an AP Calculus score to replace this. And it may even be moot because she might not go there.

If one does AP Calculus in high school, is college algebra pretty straightforward and easy in general? I’m okay with her having an easier math class especially in this major, but I was wondering if a strong high school math student necessarily translates into a strong college algebra student.

Try asking in the nursing forum: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/

I thought college algebra was the equivelent of PreCalculus in HS.

i would think for nursing that they want the demonstration that they know algebra…not just the taking of math classes.

In any case, have your daughter contact the program and ask.

My daughter took AP Calc AB in HS and received credit for an elective only. She still needs to take College Algebra in her nursing program. It is next semester so I have no insight to how easy/difficult it may be. She also could have gotten credit for her AP Lang and Lit, but not in the nursing program. She only got out of Psych and an elective. Her nursing program only gives AP credit for Psych, Computers, and Statistics.

College Algebra should not be difficult if she does well in calculus. Hopefully, though, she could test out of it, since it is mostly remedial at that point.

“College algebra” typically means a course covering material from high school precalculus.

So a student who has done well in calculus should already know the material. It would be odd if a major that requires that course would not exempt a student who has proven proficiency in a higher or similar level course (e.g. high enough AP calculus score, or other high enough math placement test score like the math level 2 SAT subject test).

What colleges’ nursing majors do not allow for exemption from math requirements if the student has already proven proficiency in a higher or similar level course?

The answer will vary for each college.

My daughter took AP stats in high school, instead of Calculus. Stats is usually part of the nursing curriculum. I have never seen calculus as part of a nursing curriculum.

Her first semester, she had to take a basic applied math class. I don’t think any choice was offered. The goal was to make sure you knew enough math to handle the stats class and the science classes. It was easy for her, but that was fine, because she was able to concentrate on her very demanding science classes.

Yeah, I"m not opposed to an easy class here or there. :wink:

When I was in college, many of my friends were pre-med (and are now doctors or med school professors). They were always looking for one easy class each semester to offset the very demanding science classes they had. However, I heard them complain that the film class that took needed a surprising amount of actual work.

@Charliesch Yeah I remember taking art appreciation in college thinking it would be easy and it was the most difficult course ever.