College life: what students found useful or useless living on/off campus

<p>There is always discussion this time of year about what students need and don’t need as they arrive for the first time to live in dorms or return to campus and move to off campus housing. While each of us may have different experiences and preferences, I thought this might be helpful for some as they set out to buy for their students.</p>

<p>Some of our most useful purchases have included:</p>

<p>A sturdy, comfortable, and roomy back pack with adequate laptop protection.
Gel mattress pad (twin will work on dorm beds)
Extra long Ethernet cord (even though there is wifi)
Fan
Drying rack
Alarm clock
Flashlight
OTC and emergency med supplies
Rain jacket and rain boots
Printer
Filing box
AppleCare
Motion sensor nightlight
Clothes steamer
3 drawer plastic rolling cart
Wireless door/window personal security alarm
Small tool kit
Plastic stackable storage boxes with lids
Sunscreen and bug spray
Sunglasses
Business suit/shoes</p>

<p>Comfortable running shoes, Chacos, shorts and tees
Index cards and rings
Inexpensive small vacuum, disposable cleaning supplies like glass wipes, Lysol wipes, etc. rather than cleaners in bulky containers. </p>

<p>We found it useful to pack cleaning items and supplies you’ll need when you first arrive at move in or will need last at move out in a box together. Think cleaners, paper towels, toilet paper, soap, trash bags, etc.). It is helpful to have this box easily accessible and clearly labeled or color coded when packing for move in, move out, or storage. If you’re a planner like I tend to be you may even inventory the boxes and list the boxes by by box number/destination. :). Organization or overkill? I guess it depends.:)</p>

<p>A floor lamp or some sort of additional lighting that takes up little space. Dorm room lighting is awful.</p>

<p>Excellent point. A lamp is a great purchase.
Add a timer or remote of/on control for added convenience for any student or or additional security for students living off campus.</p>

<p>A spare key or valet key is a good idea for students with cars. D hasn’t used it…yet, but it is nice to have peace of mind.</p>