College Newspapers

<p>I've been shuffling through many college newspapers, and for the most part, I am not satisfied. Some of the schools themselves are excellent, but their papers are of a low caliber. I worked on a very extensive publication in high school (30+ pages), and I would like to continue writing for a paper with quality coverage (the articles don't just focus on dining hall expansions and frat house events, but local, national, and international happenings). One college paper that I read featured a blurb on an overturned trashcan, so I'm looking for something a bit more worldly than that. Bonus points for papers with columns that are witty and thought-provoking. I want to stay in the Mid-Atlantic if possible, and yes, I already know about Penn State and Columbia's newspapers. What I've had an especially hard time finding is college newspapers that offer paid positions...so if anyone is aquainted with some, that is what I'm ideally looking for</p>

<p>Here’s the thing: you’re not going to find a college paper that is 30 pages per issue. I go to Indiana University, and our paper, the Indiana Daily Student, is one of the best college papers in the country. Last year, we won the college equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize and our writers and staff win major awards from various organizations every year. We’re highly read by the student body, the community and alums. It’s a daily, so it’s not 30 pages, but it has fantastic coverage of the campus, state and community.</p>

<p>Not only that, but the IDS has paid positions! And the application process is super easy. All reporters, copy editors, layout artists, online staff, photographers, editors, everyone is paid, even if you’re just starting out. Not only that, but there’s lots of flexibility as far as when you work and which parts of the staff you work on. You can also be a part of the magazine.</p>

<p>Seriously, check it out. The website is [idsnews.com</a> | Indiana Daily Student |](<a href=“http://www.idsnews.com%5Didsnews.com”>http://www.idsnews.com). If you do think you want to come to IU and have high GPA/test scores, you should apply soon and make sure to fill out the Selective Scholarship Application so you can be considered for the journalism honors program. The J-school really takes care of the honors students.</p>

<p>The thing about college newspapers is that they move in cycles. Staff’s always changing and bringing new things to the paper. An editor who has lead for 4 years moves, and suddenly, management sucks for awhile until the void is filled. Happens on all the desks, photo, layout, news, so frequently what you’re looking at is a gap. </p>

<p>There are plenty of talented people at many different student papers across the country. Take a look at the Associated Collegiate Press awards or the regional award winners (like the Keystone Awards). They all have no name schools and no substance papers. A college paper will rarely be a thing of grand reputation – it’s what you put in that you get out.</p>

<p>Your school’s paper doesn’t cover more interesting stuff than an overturned trashcan? Don’t write it off – join the paper and write something interesting. A college paper is a learning paper. You aren’t better than your peers. Trying balancing school with a full time editor position at a daily paper. It’s tough to get used to.</p>

<p>My paper is daily, paid, and, up until last year, routinely published 30+ pages a day. It’s a tough cycle for college kids to balance, so appreciate what does get put out. </p>

<p>And remember, take advantage of the opportunity. You aren’t publishing pieces that will win Pulitzers at a college level. You’ve got alot to learn, as do all your peers at a college paper. Some people join because they want to be international corespondents. Others just want to take photos with nice cameras. The great thing is that nothing is going to stop you from publishing great pieces. An editor will never decline a great piece because the paper hasn’t covered topic X like this before. Be a ground breaker, be a leader, and you’ll get what you need to out of a college paper.</p>

<p>Or, better yet, start an online magazine for the campus. Do your own thing. Be in control.</p>

<p>^Good points. A college paper is a testing ground for fresh blood - some of that talent is raw and unrefined and some of it is just not talent at all. Additionally, juggling the demands of a daily college paper with schoolwork - most reporters are asked to submit 2-3 stories a week, which is like, 2-3 papers a week on top of classes! and let’s not forget about how stressed the editors are - is a tough job. </p>

<p>But to offer another perspective: that’s not to say you should be totally undiscriminating. Being a part of a well oiled machine will help prepare you for a career in journalism later, if that’s what you’re interested in. Having editors really look at your stories critically and edit them well will teach you how to write (like a journalist, that is - hopefully we all know how to write in general). Having editors who are serious about serious ideas and serious deadlines and production quotas will give you a taste of what it means to be a journalist in the real world. Having editors that are careful about typos/inaccuracies will mean you get better clips for your resumes. And finally having a paper that is good means it’s a paper that your campus and alumni read - a broader audience for your work. </p>

<p>So, basically, cut the kids some slack who slave their lives away on the paper while still trying to keep up good grades. But I still wouldn’t downplay the importance of being discriminating in some ways.</p>