College Research

Hello,

I am going to be a college freshman this year and I want to get involved in research because of interests and because the earlier I start, the more I can develop it as I go along the years. I am planning to attend Loyola U Chicago and aside from me going to ask my counselor (who I don’t have yet), what advice could you all give me on the best ways to get research projects initiated? I am going pre med btw.

Thanx!

E-mailing professors whose research you’re interested in is still probably the most common way to find opportunities though response rates are usually pretty low. The faculty and publications should be available if you go on Loyola’s website/Biology department and browse around a little. In the email, introduce yourself, mention relevant background (maybe attach a resume), state your interest in their lab’s focus, emphasize that you are willing to make a long term commitment, and ask to set up a meeting. There should be examples of this sort of e-mail if you google it.

What @dblazer said, plus, assuming you have classes the first year in subjects you’re interested in, after add/drop is over, go to office hours for the professors in those classes. (Yes, given the faculty makeup there it’s most likely to be an adjunct, and therefore not a likely option for a long-term research partnership, but it’s still good practice.) I know that students I’ve done research mentoring with have mostly been students from my classes who demonstrated interest.

@dfbdfb “given the faculty makeup there”? Could you explain a bit?

And thanx to both of you! :slight_smile: I really want something that I could really develop over the next few years in molecular bio, so I’m probably going to have to check that out.

I’ll start asking professors soon, once finals are over at LUC.

Again, thanx!

Just that I looked up Loyola U Chicago, and its faculty ranks are heavily adjunctified.

Edit to clarify: Adjunct=on a semester-to-semester contract, nearly always purely for teaching and done on a per-course basis. It’s cheaper and more flexible for colleges, which is why they use adjuncts so much, but it can result in serious problems for student continuity and mentoring, among other things.

:frowning: Thanks for you feedback. It really helped!

Hmm…so what would be the best way to look for committed teachers? I’m trying to contact hospitals and medical schools, but they all require med students or just say they have nothing available. I’m gonna continue searching, but I’m just hoping LUC has something I can get.