College response to terrorism in Israel

Let’s move on from the discussion of doxxing and the discussion of potential employer obligation and the discussion of protesting in masks, and the discussion of whether colleges should be required to make a response to the events in the ME. All are fascinating, but all deserve their own thread.

2 Likes

Good one. :grinning: Point taken. :clap:

1 Like

From an official letter to colleges from the US Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights.

“Harassing conduct can be verbal or physical and need not be directed at a particular individual. OCR interprets Title VI to mean that the following type of harassment creates a hostile environment: unwelcome conduct based on shared ancestry or ethnic characteristics that, based on the totality of circumstances, is subjectively and objectively offensive and is so severe or pervasive that it limits or denies a person’s ability to participate in or benefit from the recipient’s education program or activity. Schools must take immediate and effective action to respond to harassment that creates a hostile environment.”

This is disgusting.

Growth, maturity, and education is largely about communication. Students need to learn to communicate in an effective manner that exhibits respect and a willingness to understand different perspectives.

Why do so many who demand peace want to fight ?

5 Likes

I used to get angry. Now I just get sad.

1 Like

I would be curious to see a transcript (or recording), whether what was overheard came from panelists (other than one quote that was such attributed), or from audience members.

It doesn’t change what was heard, just trying to getter a better understanding how “two hours of denial, lies and incitement” would have gotten past the two Yale moderators Lisa Lowe (AMST), and Erica Edwards (ENG, AFAM)?

Other than that, the definition of “militant” does describe Hamas, and “civilians killed” is correct. I do respect that there are stronger words to describe it.

1 Like

After a violent confrontation at Concordia University in Montreal and several.other attacks on Jewish institutions in Montreal, the Premier of Quebec is considering banning demonstrations by both sides. Interesting to see how this would play out in a jurisdiction that is not subject to the First Amendment.

3 Likes

He can probably do that. Canada’s free speech (free expression) statute is much looser than the United States. Hate speech is illegal and speech is restricted to “reasonable limits,” which I guess is up to whoever is in charge. They also guarantee “free peaceful assembly” but it’s again pretty loose on what constitutes a riot or disturbing the peace.

I imagine many Americans don’t know that there is an old and large Jewish community in Montreal of more than 80K people. I’m very sad to see the video from Concordia. And two shootings at (empty) Jewish schools, unbelievable.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

It’s just been reported on X (formerly twitter) that Columbia University has suspended Students for Justice in Palestine and Jewish Voices for Peace for the rest of the Fall semester.

5 Likes

Just found the official news release from Columbia

2 Likes

MIT

1 Like

Odd, that is not what the video shows, nor apparently what happened. It appears no one was allowed to transit through the sit-down, regardless of religion, age, position, or anything else- not Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, student, faculty, whatever. Everyone was equally disrupted; the lobby was closed by campus security. I don’t approve of the disruption, but this appears to be another example of tabloid journalism getting it wrong.

Have to wonder what agenda is being pushed by those sensationalizing these events.

2 Likes

Here’s the story from MIT’s student newspaper: MIT administration responds to Lobby 7 protest | The Tech

4 Likes

Taboid News has one agenda: Revenue!

For the tabloid news, it’s not about reporting news, it’s about producing news-looking content that incites the strongest reaction in biased readers, thus a higher likelihood of viral spread – …of lies.

5 Likes

It’s interesting that you think Jewish students have a secret agenda here. Here is the letter from the MIT Israel Alliance.

https://twitter.com/RetsefL/status/1722852140245254559

1 Like

Jewish students specifically were warned not to enter MIT’s front entrance due to a risk to their physical safety.

By?

I wouldn’t say secret.
But the post on X was written to openly imply that Jewish students were being singled out.

I don’t know if that was the case; at least that aspect doesn’t appear in the president’s letter:

Yesterday, Vice Chancellor and Dean for Student Life Suzy Nelson sent a letter to all students reminding them of the boundaries for protest on our campus, including the prohibition against the use of Lobby 7 for demonstrations, and making clear that it is not acceptable to disrupt the work of the Institute. Those guidelines were also personally conveyed to the organizers.

Today’s protest – which became disruptive, loud and sustained through the morning hours – was organized and conducted in defiance of those MIT guidelines and policies. Some students from both the protest and counterprotest may have violated other MIT policies, as well.

In late morning, the ace-to-face confrontation between the protesters and counterprotesters intensified. We had serious concerns that it could lead to violence. To prevent further escalation and protect the physical safety of everyone present – including both student protesters and passers-by in our busiest lobby – the administration felt it was essential to take action.

1 Like

The tabloid moreso than the MIT Israel student group, but it does make me wonder about that group-do they really think everyone is on campus is Jewish, or do they not know anyone else of a different religion? Do they not consider how the actions at issue affected others as well, not just them?

It is misleading at best to complain Jewish students were prevented from attending class, when so was everyone else-did they expect/want Jewish students to have a special right to attend when no one else could? No one was identifying students by religion for any special treatment; the lobby was closed to all. It is irresponsible to suggest otherwise. So why would the MIT Israel Alliance be so irresponsible?

4 Likes