College response to terrorism in Israel

I don’t have any opinion on ADL one way or the other ( why would I care?) But glancing at its board shows a collection of middle aged folks, so I would not think that is necessarily representative of the positions of, say, those under 40. Nor are CC posters likely to be youthful. Hence my request for evidence of the views of contemporary American college students who are Jewish. I don’t suppose there are opinion polls…

The thread topic is, after all, about college campuses, not the middle-aged.

I do not know if there are any opinion polls specifically on JVP, but Hillel is a very, very mainstream “big tent” Jewish college organization.

But even their tent is not big enough for JVP.

Brown dropped the charges against the 20 “Jewish students for peace” protestors arrested during a sit-in. There seem to be plenty of reports of Jewish students on college campuses engaged in similar acts with various groups.

Well, there you have it.

Out of 1,700 - nearly 25% of the undergraduate student body by Hillel’s estimate.

1 Like

20 were arrested. For all either of us know, hundreds supported it. You do not know, and neither do I, hence my request for actual data. 99% of college students aren’t getting arrested regardless of the cause

Interesting article about the generation gap.

So there you have it. Not mainstream. Says so right in your link (which I read when it was published a month ago and it didn’t seem at all surprising).

“the mainstream Jewish community has really unified behind a single message of solidarity with Israel and support for a military response to Hamas.”

You are, of course, free to come up with your own definition of what mainstream is.

But then, your definition of mainstream wouldn’t be mainstream. :wink:

1 Like

I won’t speak for others, but I don’t give much weight to rhetorical claims that one’s opinion represents the “mainstream.”

As for the ADL, it is staunchly pro-israel. That doesn’t mean it’s opinions (or Israel’s actions) should be beyond question.

3 Likes

This is an NPR article citing the The Forward. Can’t argue with that level of bonafides! :wink:

A lot has happened in that month, hasn’t it?

I will even agree that @TheVulcan likely does represent mainstream views of late-middle aged/ elderly Americans of Jewish faith.

But this thread is about college campuses.

1 Like

No idea what this is supposed to mean or why it is directed to me.

1 Like

This is a reference to the NPR piece @roycroftmom posted a few messages above your reply that contains a quote from The Forward (a progressive Jewish publication) about the position of the “mainstream Jewish community” (in so many words) vis-a-vis solidarity with Israel and support of its military response to Hamas.

Indeed. But one thing that most assuredly did not happen is JVP becoming a mainstream Jewish organization.

The Americans March for Israel in Washington had a decent turn-up though.

I am actually quite a bit younger than I sound :wink:

…and, just for the argument’s sake, the… uhm… flattening, for lack of a better word, of Jewish identity into a single religious dimension is not something you would have many Jews necessarily accept. America is a very religious country, and it tends to therefore view Jews as a solely religious community. And it is, among many things. But not strictly, and not necessarily. We are first and foremost a people. So, really, Jewish American is a better description in my personal opinion.

1 Like

https://thehill.com/homenews/4313515-sympathy-for-israel-plunges-among-younger-voters-poll/

The most recent poll I could find broken out by age was done by Quinnipiac about 2 weeks ago. However, I don’t find any offering a breakdown by both age and religion ( or cultural identification, if you prefer,) unfortunately.

The generation gap is indeed stark, and as most students on college campuses are under age 35, the campuses reflect that gap.

…It is an interesting question, actually, and one that doesn’t lend itself to a simple answer.

The wiki article called “Who is a Jew?” is literally longer than one on Quantum mechanics :slight_smile:

Where I am from, it was considered first and foremost an ethnicity, and therefore an inalienable, inalterable, and inescapable part of one self, - so much so that it was recorded in one’s passport, just like any other ethnicity would, yet with bigger ramifications. And in fact today, overwhelming majority of American (Ashkenazi) Jews can indeed be unambiguously identified by a genetic test with a 100% sensitivity and specificity.

My intention with providing this tidbit is not to derail the thread and get myself into trouble with moderators, but to take an opportunity to illustrate yet another facet of the complexity of the Jewish condition in America and around the world (where many American Jews or their recent ancestors came from) that may be hard to fully appreciate from the outside - a facet that, along, of course, with other aspects of Jewish history, may in fact be very relevant to understanding how many Jews are perceiving what is now happening on college campuses.

On a more positive note of addressing student civility going forward, a dean was asked why Princeton has had so much less incivility than similar campuses. Her response, in the student newspaper was fascinating-she said it is partly due to the cafeteria set up. The school has had one kosher eating place since 1971. All students have always been welcomed there regardless of religion, and many attend who are not Jewish, as it is centrally located and has quite good desserts.

The school was quite late in understanding/implementing halal meals until recently, so students seeking those halal meals went, and some still go, to that kosher cafeteria (currently located in the Center for Jewish Life). This naturally evolved into a high level of Muslim-Jewish communication and cooperation which has proven beneficial in the current times.

Maybe this is a common arrangement, but I thought it was interesting.

1 Like

A recent note from Princeton Hillel’s Rabbi:

“I had lunch today with a thoughtful, brilliant young man, a first-year student, who told me that a classmate has been regularly posting hateful rhetoric on social media. He calmly told me that he DM’d this classmate to say he would love to meet him for lunch or coffee just to listen to him and to discuss the situation in a thoughtful and respectful manner, and received no response. He DM’d him again, reminding him that he would really love to have a conversation with him, and finally the classmate responded that there is no point in talking with someone who supports Israel. Of course, I was horrified to hear this, and I asked my student how he was doing. He looked at me with such poise and understanding. He smiled and said that, while it certainly is unfortunate that his classmate refused to dialogue, he hopes that someday his classmate will see things in a more nuanced way. The student went on to explain to me that despite this, he is doing just fine, and he will continue to reach out to his peers in the spirit of honest and open communication, because maybe some of them will be willing to sit down with him and talk.”

Maybe they can get coffee and cookies together in the kosher dining hall sometime. Interaction would be ideal but I will settle for merely peaceful coexistence at this point.

1 Like

I do appreciate you sharing your first-hand perspective!

1 Like

So far we have had posters opine that Jewish college students for peace are ill-informed, uneducated, opportunistic, and/or weak. No wonder there is a generation gap.

It is also possible that the students may be right and that they have valid concerns now shared by a majority of American adults. Regardless, the patronizing dismissiveness of their protests is unlikely to encourage civil conversation on campus.

3 Likes