College response to terrorism in Israel

The Berkeley dean ( Chemerinsky) who has previously been quoted as deeply concerned about the rise of antisemitism notes the lawsuit is " stunningly inaccurate " and inconsistent with the First Amendment.

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

and

“College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else
 If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

Also, this is not the Political Forum. Please take appropriate discussions there.

Thread placed in slow mode for moderator review and cleanup.

2 Likes

From “A recent note from Princeton Hillel’s Rabbi,” posted above:

he DM’d this classmate to say he would love to meet him for lunch or coffee just to listen to him and to discuss the situation in a thoughtful and respectful manner
. . .
He smiled and said that, while it certainly is unfortunate that his classmate refused to dialogue, he hopes that someday his classmate will see things in a more nuanced way.

So which is it? Was the Israel supporter there to listen, or was he planning to set the critic on a better, “more nuanced” path?

The reason I ask is because, IMO, the Note from the Rabbi lacks the sort “nuance” that it claims to be seeking. The Rabbi’s parable contrasts two students, one supporting Israel, and one criticizing Israel, and it is quite clear who is the villain and who is the hero:

• The supporter of Israel is described as thoughtful, brilliant, willing to listen, respectful, smiling, hopeful.
  • On the the hand, the perspective of the critic of Israel is dismissed as both hateful and horrifying.

IMO, this is the lens through which some (but not all) supporters of Israel view the protests, and to say this perspective lacks nuance is an understatement. More than that, the parable indicates that the preconceived outcome of the suggested dialogue is that only the critic of Israel will be set straight. This strikes me as extremely condescending, as if only the critics of Israel have something to learn, not the supporters.

I don’t blame the critic of Israel for declining the invitation, especially if the critic of Israel could sense that the “thoughtful, brilliant young” Israel supporter didn’t even entertain the possibility of learning anything himself. He may not have been interested in having a self-assured classmate 'splain how his position was the one that lacked “nuance.”

2 Likes

Front page story in today’s WSJ on topic (i used a gift link):

(it includes comments about how colleges have been struggling to respond.)

3 Likes

Darn, so many hidden posts. I miss the old days when you could choose to read flagged posts.

7 Likes

You have to catch them at night, I think. I read like 84 posts as my bedtime reading :smile:

They were all gone the next day though.

3 Likes

Are you questioning moderation? Kidding no flags from me😀

Perhaps we form a no holds barred group DM in which we can curse each other out and full on argue. Suggested name “Game of Drones” or “Gaza Yada Yada”. And no I am not diminishing the suffering just trying to lighten the tense mood.

Happy Holidays.

2 Likes

It’s called the Politics Forum. The implicit “friendly atmosphere” guardrails don’t apply there, because you have to explicitly apply to wanting to submit yourself to whatever will be thrown at you.

I might remember that wrong: But I believe it was once explained that a single “flag” still allowed reading - but with increasing “severity”, or “quality”, of the objection against a particular post, that option then vanishes.

Yes - being a vampire definitely helps. Then
 in the wee hours of the mornings, the people with the wooden stakes will do their bidding.
(and, again I’m thankful for them doing their difficult jobs!)

This is a very tricky topic for both members and moderators, because it’s truly hard to intelligently comment on student actions, and college reactions, to political realities, without acknowledging how specific actions or reactions might be rooted in a political/historical context, rather than islamophobia/antisemitism.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying as I was hardly being sarcastic as it is simply not in my nature.

Before the recent change, when a post was hidden, one could choose to read it by clicking on the post. And it didn’t matter how severe the objections were. That option is now gone.

Please get back on topic and stop discussing hidden threads. Thanks for your understanding.

3 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/02/us/columbia-university-students-israel-hamas-war/index.html

It will be a long school year on some campuses.

3 Likes

Cooler heads prevail as two professors are reinstated at the University of Arizona after being suspended for what some interpret as pro-Hamas statements in class.

4 Likes

Students should reasonably expect the current conflict might be discussed in a course on cultural pluralism. The response that occurred explains why the subjects in the prior CNN article simply disengage from the campus community.

1 Like

Yes, I read that article and felt bad for the kids that either don’t want to take a side, or just don’t care. That would have been me back in college.