College Station Off Campus Housing (Which one?)

<p>I'm currently looking around at the different off-campus housing apartments and am having trouble choosing due to so many choices. I've read good and bad reviews on many of the ones I've found and can't seem to make up my mind. I've visited several in person, and others I have yet to visit. Though, they are all filling up quick, so I need to make a decision pretty soon. Here's a list of some of the ones I've been looking at:</p>

<p>Cambridge Apartments*
Callaway House
Callaway Villas
Broadstone Ranch at Wolf Pen Creek
The Lofts at Wolf Pen Creek*</p>

<p>I've visited the ones with a *. Does anyone have any information/suggestions/advice on any of these? If you have another one in mind, please feel free to share.</p>

<p>My child lives in Cambridge and signed another years lease. Likes it a lot</p>

<p>Callaway House is really frat and sorrity heavy, but nice. Callaway Villas are very nice, expensive and back up to railroad tracks (friends got annoyed of trains). The Lofts are in a really nice area and look very nice. </p>

<p>If you’re looking for kind of a comprimise between a dorm and an apartment, Callaway House or Cambridge are good options. I’d be alittle weary of Callaway House if I wasn’t in greek life.</p>

<p>I’m definitely not looking to get involved in greek life. I do think the Callaway Villas are nice, but I did notice that. Plus, most of the Villas are far away from the amenities. The only thing I don’t like about the Cambridge is that the rooms are smaller (more dorm-like) than the Lofts or Callaway. Hmm… Such a hard decision! </p>

<p>So the Callaway House is pretty bad as far as frat parties/greek life stuff?</p>

<p>There will be Greeks at all of the facilities - parties are not held in dorms (on or off campus). I think the point might have been that the Greeks have lots of their own activities and sometimes you might feel a bit left out ( door decorations, gifts left by other members, theme parties, going to philanthropic events, going to games together, study hours etc). Calloway House is also the nicest of the off campus dorms, so it tends to have more first year Greeks.</p>

<p>Hm. That’s true I guess. So would you say that the Callaway House is nicer than the Lofts? They’re pretty nice as well… I just haven’t been to the Callaway House yet.</p>

<p>Also, what is your opinion on the Callaway Villas? Nicer? No? I know they aren’t right across from the campus like the House is.</p>

<p>It kind of depends on what your defintion of “nicer” is. I have never been to the lofts, so I’m not really sure. I think the Villas are nicer than the House. The Villas are newer, the area is nice and the pool, volleyball courts and clubhouse are really nice. The inside of those units are also very modern for apartments. My girlfriend lived in the Callaway House her freshmen year and she did like it. The rooms aren’t anything fancy as compared to the Villas, but there’s a cafeteria right downstairs (that I was told was fairly good).</p>

<p>Cambridge is also further away, but I would put it on par with Callway House in terms of how nice it is. </p>

<p>The Callaway Villas and Callaway House are very close to campus, I would say walking distance even. They’re also right on a bus route and takes minutes to get there. The lofts are a bit further away, but are also on a bus route (not walking distance). The Lofts are in a very nice area called Wolf Penn Creek, so if you’re a big runner or walker, it’s a great place to live (also next to frisbee golf course).</p>

<p>I don’t think you’ll be dissapointed with any of these choices. All of these are considered the “nicer” in student living in college station.</p>

<p>my daughter lived in Callaway house. At Callaway House you will have access to use the facilities at the Villas, so you will be able to use their nice pool & club house. Callaway Villa & House have nice functions for residents with live music and food. It is very nice & convenient to campus - especially on gameday Saturdays! Living at the House requires being on their meal plan. Living at the Villas, you can have a food plan at the House.
Problems at Callaway House: the access to the parking lot can be a real pain driving west towards Callaway House at busy times of any day. The traffic flow turning left off Olsen Blvd onto George Bush in front of Callaway House can stop from the light Marion Pugh Dr and totally block the entrance of Callaway House. It can be very frustrating.
Parking for Visitors is very limited.
Traditions is on North Side. Also an off campus dorm that is easy walking distance to campus. You might check into this one as well.
Cambridge is the third off campus dorm - though it is not walking distance to campus.
The others are apartment complexes. You will not have to be on a meal plan, you will have a little less “rules”, and they will be less expensive. They are not as convient to campus - but are on the shuttle bus line.
I would really suggest you take the time to visit all of the above to make an informed decision.</p>

<p>we looked at several apartments for our group of 4 girls. lots of apartments let you rent as a single but they will place you with others if you need that.</p>

<p>pm me if you want any info on apts we looked at.</p>

<p>Make sure any apartment you rent is on the TAMU bus route. I see some private vans that serve apartments that are not on the routes and there is a reason the buses don’t go to those buildings - they have to cross too much traffic without a light. It looks too dangerous to me.</p>

<p>If you are not familiar with the bus routes google TAMU Transportation services.</p>

<p>Also currently in the process of selecting housing. Anybody have any suggestions regarding a place that is *cheap<a href=“pref%20$550%20range%20or%20less%20including%20cable/internet/water%20or%20$450-500%20or%20less%20if%20no%20utilities”>/i</a> but not a dive? Was looking at Holleman by the Park, the DoubleTree units at 1901 Holleman, and the Landmark on Longmire. However, I need a place that will allow me to bring my 13-year-old lab (weighs 65 pounds) with me. The only other places we looked at were Northgate Villas and 705 Yegua, but the areas seemed too sketchy. Anybody have any input on any of these or suggestions for other places I should check out?</p>

<p>Oh and I’m looking only at singles, by the way</p>

<p>Holleman by the Park seems sketchy to me. Lol, you’ll be able to find the 550 range at good places if you stay in a 4x4. Have you checked Meadows Point, on Marion Pugh, nothing fancy at all. They’re close though, quick on the bus route, you could probably afford a 2x2 as well.</p>

<p>Thanks Derek, I kind of agree with your assessment of Holleman (though it certainly seemed better than some other places). Meadows seemed nice and that was one of the ones on my list, but it’s a little steep for me for a single (really don’t want a roommate–at first anyways). Any opinion of the Landmark on Longmire (behind Walmart)? That’s the one I’m really leaning toward. Also Doux Chene down the street from that if you know anything about it.</p>