College Student Fall 2022 Update

Good evening everyone,

I have not wrote a thread in months and now I am ready to give you an update on how my life’s going. There is a lot for me to say but I am going to get to the point as much as possible.

This fall semester is going well for me, I know what to expect since I did graduate high school early & start Purdue in the spring 2022 semester. Although, I did not participate in BGR, I met some lovely people and made more friends anyway. I even started to attend meetings and special events at the Black Cultural Center and connect with a specific group of people who I personally identify with. The chess club is more entertaining this semester than last.

Classes are getting better and the new major with my pre-pharmacy prerequisites gives me a manageable schedule and helps me spread my classes out into four years instead of two. My full ride scholarship is paying for a bachelor’s degree so why not get one. I am on track to reaching sophomore status in January 2023.

Personal life is great for the most part. The weekend before the fall 2022 semester started. I reunited with my half brother & step mother, we have been separated for more than 6 years and we are building a strong connection together as a family. Although my brother and I have the same father but different moms, I still show his mother the same love and respect as I would do with my birth mom. They live 1 hour & 10 minutes away from Purdue University so I am able to easily commute and spend time with them nearly every weekend.

My birthday was Saturday November 12th and for that weekend I went on a road trip to Nashville, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia to sightsee and spend family time with my brother and step mom. There was a lot of ups and downs during this vacation but I am still grateful I had a chance to go.

As far as the pharmacy technician job. I just got “fired” today because my manager no longer needs my help and there is a so called “issue” with Walmart pharmacy salary for their technicians so they are cutting hours. I did not behave unprofessional at work or give a patient the wrong prescription, my manager wanted me gone so he can focus more on his full time employees. I have an interview with the Purdue Retail Pharmacy employer for a job as a technician soon and with the Walmart vision center so there is still hope for me to build my resume for graduate school and make money. This issue does question my interest for becoming a pharmacist since I was slightly discouraged.

Freshman year of college has taught me a lot of lessons and opened my eyes to the adult world since I left my father’s house. It is a humbling yet fun experience. I have learned more about myself as a human being and I will continue to “power through” life and finish college regardless of any negative circumstances may happen in my life.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for circling back and giving us an update! I’m so happy to hear that you are doing so well!

It’s tough with the present economy so I wouldn’t be too worried about being let go. I’m sure you will land another job soon.

Thank you again for the update!

1 Like

Good luck with wrapping up the fall semester. Do not be discouraged from this one blip with that job. You have held jobs before and you will be successful in the future. They are known to have some different hiring practices. There are lots of careers with pharma if you are interested.

Keep building trusting relationships. They take time. And all road trips have ups and downs.

All the best!

1 Like