College Suggestions in the West at $33K annual budget after merit

We also eliminated Portland and Seattle from our search, even as PNW residents.

1 Like

But these kids who go to Portland high schools already live there, and the parents arenā€™t flocking to leave. I used to live in Portland and the downtown area always had homeless people (yes, I know it is worse now).

I live in Denver and it is shocking how many places are just overrun with tents and shopping carts. I find them particularly numerous near hospitals, on the alleys near shopping center, under highway overpasses. There are even tent cities provided by the city and some churches set up to get the ā€˜pop up citiesā€™ away from city schools, out of parks, but it doesnā€™t prevent them in other places. Itā€™s bad, but I donā€™t notice them right next to the college campuses (any more than in other neighborhoods in the city).

But Iā€™m not moving out of Denver.

1 Like

I would say that it is much worse Downtown Portland closer to Portland State vs Univ of Portland or Lewis and Clark. Many ā€œPortlandā€ residents live in Beaverton, Lake Oswego or across the border in Vancouver, WA. There has been a flight from DT Portland but not a flight per se from Portland neighborhoods away from the core (ie Alberta area) or other suburbs like those listed above.

3 Likes

Most of the Catholic High Schools that I mentioned are in the suburbs and thatā€™s where most families live. Many people are leaving the area, we plan to once our youngest graduates if things donā€™t drastically improve. We no longer allow our 18yr old to go to Portland with her friends, we donā€™t go ourselves unless thereā€™s a particular reason we have to. Itā€™s very sad.

I think when it comes to UP, which is in a relatively safe and beautiful part of Portland, it isnā€™t that the campus is unsafe. Itā€™s that thereā€™s nowhere for the kids to go out that is safe. Even the NW these days is having problems and with REIā€™s imminent closure it will get worse. Denver may have a homeless problem, Portland has a serious crime problem.

Probably not the platform to get too far into it but I can understand why parents (myself included) would be looking outside the area. Who wants to be a college student and not be able to hang out in the city near their school?

2 Likes

Nvm

Santa Clara sent something to my D asking if she would accept admittance if they gave $16k in merit. Very odd as it was kind of an acceptance without them having to record it as such, maybe to game the #ā€™s? She already made her decision but thought it was interesting.

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

This process is getting a little over the top this year! Jeez.

4 Likes

I am entertained by this last minute stuff though.

4 Likes

Also have had multiple schools e mailing saying ā€œnot too late to enroll even though it is after May 1!ā€.

9 Likes

Yes - itā€™s kind of sad though but also gives good perspective about whoā€™s really in the driverā€™s seatā€¦.

2 Likes

Hello,

I saw your posts in this thread and was very interested in your daughterā€™s process. Mine is a rising senior and I just noticed URI yesterday, also Salve Regina and UMass Amherst, And UM-TC are on the current (very long) list. Would you be willing to share anything you learned about these or other schools and how your daughterā€™s decision process worked?

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Do you have a budget? That is the first step. Then, eliminate any schools that will not fall in the budget (even with potential merit or fin aid).
Happy to write further and feel free to ask questions.

See message #9 on the other chain for more context on budget and desire.

Hi there
Iā€™ve been offline a lot of the summer and am now currently limited to my phone.

But Iā€™m happy to share as much as you like.

Nutshell for now:
Criteria were cost (under 40k/ year)

Blue state/progressive culture, laws,
Politics

Plenty of cold weather and snow

Much bigger than her high school (NO LAC)

Good metro area nearby

Her sport(figure skating) is popular

So that is how we landed in New England. UM TC was an outlier but I was worried about safety and she gets migraines now and so we starting worrying about anything that was SO COLD.

Visited URI somewhat on a whim and fell love. It didnā€™t entirely fit what she originally thought she wanted but we think it has a culture she will more realistically thrive in.

8 Likes

@AustenNut s old post had some great suggestions.

5 Likes

@AustenNut is a rockstar and made a tremendous positive impact on our search!

7 Likes