College Tour Clusters

@vwlizard We did a nifty little run through Ohio, yada yada yada, there’s some really flat land in Bowling Green. I will say that the main drag in town was packed with excited students on a January Saturday night.

1 Like

I could probably put 20 colleges into a Boston loop.

There is also URI//Salve Regina/Roger Williams/Johnson and Wales. You can add Bryant if looking for business

2 Likes

Don’t forget Kenyon in your Ohio loop. 25 minutes from Denison.

3 Likes

We did something similar - Davidson (in the AM) and Wake Forest (afternoon) in one day. didn’t do Elon.

I love the idea for this thread! Hope you get many tour itinerary suggestions.

So let’s do another one. I’m calling this the DC-RICHMOND cluster. Someone mentioned William & Mary to Richmond earlier, but I’ll list the times here.

I chose Richmond because it’s smack in the middle between W&M and UVA. We were driving up 95 and I said to my kid, "We got my high school buddy in Charlottesville & Uncle — (college chum) in Williamsburg. Which one do you want to see? DC was like, “UVA and then Richmond on the way back.”

*I try to keep the clusters to under 2 hrs. You can drive from PENN to Bucknell, but that’s a bit of hike (like 2 hrs, 40 min.)

Richmond to UVA - 1:02 hrs
Richmond to W&M - 59 min
Richmond to Washington & Lee - 2:02
Richmond to Georgetown - 2 hrs**
Richmond to GW - 2 hrs**

*Obviously Virginia/D.C./Beltway traffic can be an absolute nightmare, these are simply rough estimates in the very best of conditions.

After running through the top Virginia schools, I figured let’s just do D.C. for fun.

Georgetown to GW - 10 min
Georgetown to American - 15 min
Georgetown to Howard - 19 min
Georgetown to The Catholic University - 23 min
Georgetown to Johns Hopkins - 1:16 hrs
Georgetown to U Maryland (College Park) - 37 min
Georgetown to UVA - 2:17 hrs

3 Likes

My daughter blames the length of her morning Duke tour on the tour guide thrown off by being told by his boss that day that he could no longer walk backwards while talking during the tours, so he was awkwardly stopping and then gathering his thoughts at each place instead of what we can only image was a flowing stream of consciousness!

Late for UNC. Lol.

1 Like

NY State Capital Region-MA-VT-NH
This would be lovely in the fall.

Union College to Skidmore 26 miles
Skidmore to Williams 53 miles
Williams to Bennington College 17 miles
Bennington to Middlebury 87 miles
Middlebury to University of Vermont 35 miles
UVM to Dartmouth 97 miles

3 Likes

@gotham_mom Now this is a cool trip. Been meaning to check out Burlington but we haven’t gotten around to it. Great strategy to incorporate Williams, which is generally out of the way for most Mass school tours that won’t drive more than 2 hours.

2 Likes

Following…starting to think about college tours for our Sophomore.

1 Like

I’ll do some low-hanging fruit (aka tours):

Southern Louisiana:

Tulane to Loyola New Orleans: 1m, 52 ft.
Loyola New Orleans to Xavier: 8m, 2.5 mi
Xavier to Louisiana State (LSU): 1h9m, 78.3 mi.

Southern Louisiana HBCUs

Dillard to Xavier: 11m, 3.8 mi
Xavier to Southern: 1h16m, 85.8 miles

I was about to do one for some southern liberal arts schools, but even “close” schools reminded me that the close distances in the northeastern U.S. just don’t get replicated in much of the U.S.

Not sure this is what you mean…but we did two “tours” with one of our kids.

Southeast tour included:
University of Richmond
University of South Carolina
College of Charleston
Elon
Davidson
Wake Forest
UNC Greensboro

California Tour included:

University of San Diego
Claremont McKenna
Chapman
Pepperdine
Santa Clara University
And a drive around of Stanford just for fun

On the CA tour, DD and DH did fly from San Diego to San Jose. The rest was driving.

A midwest LAC cluster that we did was St. Olaf, Carleton, Macalester.

We flew into St Paul and drove down to Northfield to spend the night, toured St Olaf in the morning and had lunch in their dining commons, had a 2 hour break and then toured Carleton in the afternoon.

Next morning we drove back to St Paul to tour Macalester and flew out.

(While we did two nights in Northfield, there’s no reason not to spend one of the nights in Minneapolis/St. Paul and explore the area there further!)

1 Like

I was just hopping on to talk about our Minn/ Iowa cluster when I saw this.

We did a big school/small school cluster starting in Minneapolis/St. Paul with UMN. The plan was to add Macalester or Carleton, but DS23 wasn’t interested. I insisted on at least one small LAC so we visited St. Olaf on our way to Iowa State. It was the perfect mid-way point.

Depending on time and direction, from there you could fit in Iowa and Drake. If you wanted to see another college like St. Olaf you could add on Luther or if you wanted to see something unique (one course at a time) you could see Cornell College.

3 Likes