College Town Safety

Crime in most places in the US is lower than it was 20 years ago (and even more so compared to 30 years ago, around the peak of the crime wave that ramped up in the 1970s-1980s until it peaked in the early 1990s).

So be careful of assuming that the neighborhood crime level around a given college when a current parent attended is similar now for the soon-to-enter-college student.

Is UPenn also on the forbidden list for this reason?

4 Likes

The thing is though that a school with a relatively high sexual assault rate might be a school where reporting sexual assaults is encouraged, and/or the investigation process humane.

There are many schools where people are afraid to report sexual assaults for many reasons, and/or the victim is victim shamed (which also results in fewer cases being reported)
.so, a low rate of assaults can be quite misleading.

It’s important to go beyond the data that one sees in the Clery report so that the data can be put in perspective.

5 Likes

Bronzerfish- be careful with the comparisons.

In some instances, a higher number of sexual assaults (as horrifying as that is) MIGHT mean fewer assaults than a campus with a low number. Why?

1- Local police will immediately take someone who has been assaulted to a clinic or ER for a rape kit. The days of “oh, go back to your dorm and take a shower and you’ll feel better” are over.

2-Campus police will immediately report and escalate an incident and not suggest “Why don’t you get a good nights sleep and we can figure this out”. It’s not for a security guard to determine if a crime has been committed
 it’s the job of the security guard to take seriously ALL reports of a crime, and to deal with the report appropriately. Not to paper over.

3- Better training at the higher reported rape campus. Not just law enforcement- dorm RA’s, Dean of students, Dean of housing
 everyone who comes in contact with students. Better training of STUDENTS- no means no. The fact that she’s drunk is not an invitation to assault her. The fact that she’s a HS student attending a college party does not mean she wants you to rape her. Etc. You are likely seeing higher reported numbers at campuses which are MUCH more vigilant and are communicating, training and insisting “no means no”.

As sad as this is- there are still campuses with low reported rates, where the students report a culture of “let’s work this out without law enforcement getting involved, shall we?” There are campuses where the message to the victim is 'you don’t want to ruin his athletic career by a little partying that got out of hand, do you?" or “Well, it’s a he said, she said situation- do you really want to take that on a few months before you graduate?”

I applaud the colleges with high reported rates when they are DOING SOMETHING about it, vs. the colleges with miniscule rates which discourage or flat out shame the victim from reporting. yes, it’s still happening in 2023.

6 Likes

You beat me to it. The number of people who are shocked that we let our child go to a gritty east coast city when our “perfect” college town is just as dangerous. Personally, I think it’s optics and perception, but this isn’t the thread for that discussion. In sum, crime can happen anywhere.

3 Likes

If I see that a school has a party school reputation (though it also has excellent academics), heavy Greek presence, and highly prized sports, I do tend to make some assumptions if it has high crime as well.

My husband brought up the points that many of you all are making, and it is going to be each person’s best judgment on how much of the crime is avoidable.

It’s naive to think that crime doesn’t exist on or around every college campus, no matter how bucolic the setting.

As far as I know, not many colleges (if any) run individual criminal background checks on every incoming freshman. There’s a box to click on the Common App about criminal convictions but is everyone being truthful? Does anyone double check? Mixing thousands of incoming students each year with underaged drinking is bound to result in at least a few unpleasant situations.

Certainly, the cities mentioned above that have a track record of high crime should raise a red flag but the mistake some parents make is thinking that by tucking their kid away on a college campus (or by paying the tuition), it’s like sending them to Disneyland, where everything is perfect and no harm can come to them.

Also surprising are the number of parents who think just because the college is highly rated, that crime doesn’t happen there.

1 Like

Bronzerfish, old-timers here remember a poster from years ago who did this kind of stuff professionally (a statistician by training if I remember correctly). He had worked with large datasets on crime, alcohol abuse, victimology, perpetrator profiling, etc. and although I don’t remember everything (he was an excellent community member) there are a couple of things that stand out:

1- HBCU’s- all lower rates of pathology, whether urban, rural or suburban. Lower drinking, lower crime, lower sexual assault.
2- Women only colleges- ditto
3- Urban campuses- in general- less drinking, less alcohol abuse, vs. rural campuses even when controlled for things like frats and sports. The qualitative data suggested that there are so many more entertainment options in a city- stuff to do on Saturday night- that isn’t underage drinking in a dormitory with 20 kids crammed into a small space (can’t take it to the lounge or a gathering space because the 18 year olds got the liquor how exactly?)

Other old timers can chime in- I think the poster’s name was “Mini” and really- a wealth of information.

6 Likes

We live 5 miles from Paterson NJ, 4 miles fro Newark. I didn’t bat an eye with my kids going to school in New Brunswick or Trenton, another got a very nice scholarship to Temple, she went in an unofficial visit during Covid and said no way. She’s been to NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Montreal, New Orleans, Atlanta, and many trips to Philadelphia, was very uncomfortable with attending Temple.

3 Likes

My son has WF on his list. A few websites like Neighborhood Scout don’t have flattering reviews for Winston Salem in the crime category. Has anyone else had this concern?

1 Like

Note, this thread has been merged with the OP’s other thread on the same topic.

I’m sure the college is perfectly safe. Campus police are on the ball at theses colleges and WF has an excellent reputation.

Read this thread for some perspective on college towns. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/washu-st-louis-crime-rate

It’s worth noting that most crime associated with colleges is due to alcohol and sexual assault, unfortunately. Clery Reports have already been mentioned.

Like many schools WFU is miles from downtown, etc.

Not sure using that resource is a smart way to eliminate schools based on crime.

You’d eliminate schools like Emory, Richmond, WUSTL - and they’re not in the danger zones.

You could find other rankings or Clery reporting.

Niche gives each school a safety grade. You can look there too. They get a B+.

My daughters school is in the city (charleston) and gets a c+ for what it’s worth.

Their safety grades might help you directionally. But using city grades will be of no help.

My S21 goes to UNCSA. They and we are in Winston Salem all the time. I and they have never felt unsafe.

4 Likes

Have you visited? We visited back in 2012 with my older daughter and more recently have been to several football & basketball games there when WF plays my kids’ colleges (and when our high school plays for the state football championship, it’s often at WF). We’ve never felt unsafe. My impression is that it’s pretty secluded from the grittier areas of Winston Salem. My recollection is that there is one direction into campus that is a bit iffy-looking and could give a bad impression to someone visiting WF, but on other borders to the campus there are very nice neighborhoods that I always assumed WF faculty lived in. I think there are nice areas of Winston Salem as well as those that aren’t as nice, just like with any medium size to large city.

These correlate to the findings of lower college drinking at HBCUs (and by Black people) and at women’s colleges (and by women).

Other correlates to college drinking include (not surprisingly) fraternities and sororities.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. And this is coming from a parent of daughters. I don’t know where we’re going with this, but if the point is that there’s not much point in evaluating surrounding areas because sexual assault is ubiquitous on college campuses and it’s by far the most common form of assault, then I’m not down with that logic. Mind you, I’m one for more urban myself, and my kids take after me.

That said, you haven’t lived until you’ve been in a live situation with a criminal. Miami is much improved, but back in the day is was a very dangerous city and if you have any street sense at all you know when you’re in trouble. I’ve lived it and it’s no fun. My daughters knew the risks, we talked about it, etc. and they made their calculated decisions. But we didn’t ignore off-campus crime. Depending on where you are, it’s a real thing.

5 Likes

UChicago was off our list

4 Likes

Every school is required to post its annual Clery report on its website (new report due at end of October each year). The report is very detailed and should provide information that may be helpful for those who are concerned about crime.

My own college was in a safe area of a city, but the off campus apartment I lived in was not. When I look back on it, I can’t believe I lived there. Young, dumb and lucky.

1 Like

If anecdotes are to be our guide . . .

3 Likes

Clery is a great resource, but it has limited jurisdiction, and thus the potential to miss off campus crimes.

From their web page it includes:

• On-campus (anywhere)
  • On-campus student housing
  • Public property within campus bounds
  • Public property immediately adjacent to the campus
  • Noncampus buildings and property owned or controlled by the organization that are used for educational purposes and frequently used by students but not a part of the core campus, or those owned or controlled by a student organization officially recognized by the institution

It came as a complete shock in Idaho. It was received almost matter of factly at Temple. The Temple example wasn’t unique. The Idaho example was.

3 Likes