College Visit - Recommendations?

My DS and I are visiting UA in August and will be there about a day and a half in advance of our tour. We’d like to get to know the surrounding community and campus during this time. What recommendations do you have in terms of places to visit, where to eat, must see sites? Anything that will help us see how my DS would be if he attended the UA? Appreciate any/all suggestions!

Your questions cover a LOT of territory! Maybe you could narrow it down a bit, one topic at a time? And be sure to read some of the threads already here.

<<<
What recommendations do you have in terms of places to visit, where to eat, must see sites? Anything that will help us see how my DS would be if he attended the UA? Appreciate any/all suggestions!

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Hi,

When in August will you be visiting?

What is your son’s major and career goal?

What are some of his interests?

We have some lists that you can use for places to eat and places to see.

Tuscaloosa ~ things to do…

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30889-Activities-Tuscaloosa_Alabama.html

http://www.tuscaloosa.com/visitor-services

Also Mercedes Benz Tour <<== this needs to be set up about 2 weeks before the date. Go online for details for how to schedule this tour.

Lodging

Country Inn & Suites 4801 McFarland Blvd. East Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (205) 345-9999

Courtyard by Marriott 4115 Courtney Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 750-8384

Fairfield Inn 4101 Courtney Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 366-0900

Hampton Inn 600 Harper Lee Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-9800

Hampton Inn 6400 Interstate Dr. Tuscaloosa, AL 35453 (205) 562-9000 *

Holiday Inn Express 1120 Veterans Memorial Parkway Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 464-4000 *

Home-Towne Suites 1650 15th Street East Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-3828 *

Hotel Capstone 320 Paul W. Bryant Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (205) 752-3200

Microtel Inn 6331 Interstate Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35453 (205) 556-1555

Microtel Inn & Suites 1417 Veterans Memorial Parkway Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-4095 *

Wingate by Wyndham 4918 Skyland Blvd. East Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 553-5400 *

Yellowhammer Inn & Conference Center 2700 Yacht Club Way NE Tuscaloosa, AL 35406 (205) 343-4215 *

VRBO - Tuscaloosa

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/alabama/tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more in Tuscaloosa,Alabama on VRBO - Vacation Rentals by Owner
(note: VRBO rentals are often best for families/groups because of their ability to accomodate 4-8+ people in multiple bedrooms, therefore their prices usually reflect those situations - especially at “peak times” (football games, graduations, etc.)

Avoid: (these places aren’t well-maintained, yet they will charge high prices during peak times…so that can be misleading)

Motel 6
Super 8
Masters Inn
Rodeway Inn
Quality Inn

LaQuinta seems fine inside, but it’s in a sketchy area, so avoid if possible.

Places to eat (what do you and your son prefer)

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide-p1.html

We arriving august 15
and returning on the 18th. Matthew is interested in computer science/engineering and all things science/how things work. I enjoy art/architecture and all foods as long as they aren’t too spicy. I would love to introduce my son to southern food done right.

We are staying at the capstone. Thank you very much for the links!

Here are two of my suggestions, if you like or want to try BBQ in a very University of Alabama football atmosphere, I personally love Full Moon Bar-B-Que in Tuscaloosa. The memorabilia & decorations are really cool but the food is really good, not greasy just smoky, and delicious. Try the collard greens, yum!

My second suggestion is to drive/walk the campus at night. It is very well lit and beautiful. Totally different experience than during the day. See the fountain over by the engineering complex and stop at Dunkin Donuts for a late night coffee.

momofcs;

A couple of things to note:

1. August 15th is “Bid Day” for sororities, the morning of that day, the new sorority invitees will be running to their sorority house to meet their new sisters and to greet their family. There are 2400 of these girls, apparently quite an event on campus. (We will experience this for the first time this year.) There will be a lot of streets roped off and chaos around the stadium/sorority row until mid afternoon.
  2. August 15th is move in day for the rest of the University that has not had early move in (sorority recruitment, Million Dollar Band, Honors Action, etc all moved in the week prior).

I just wanted to point these two events out as there will be some “extra” noise and chaos on campus, but a lot of school spirit shown too! Restaurants might be a little more tricky, and I wouldn’t want to go to WalMart or Target if I were you as the kids are buying things for their rooms. If that’s the weekend you are set on, embrace the chaos and join in on the fun.

We are freshman parents, UA has given our daughter a ton of opportunities, now she just has to take them and make them something great. Best of luck on your college search.

Oh, that’s right, campus will be very busy, which means restaurants will be very busy. Expect waits at restaurants, which will be longer than usual. You can probably minimize this by eating a little earlier or later than the normal lunch/dinner times.

One place you can go which I find fascinating, and will most likely be vey quiet, is the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which is located right on campus. It wouldl be a good place to take a break and cool off.

Expect bad traffic too on the Saturday normal move-in date. With my first son I remember heading to Sam’s Club for some items (toilet paper etc.) and finding it took over 1 hour to get back to the dorms!

Thanks for all the great input! I didn’t realize it was a rush date/move in date - we already have tickets so we’re locked in but this might give us a good feel for what the start of a school year is like at UA. Appreciate the suggestions and we do love us some barbeque!

momofcs - Keep in mind that your son (if accepted to the Honors College) will have the option of early move-in next fall to attend one of the Honors Action programs, which come highly recommended. Early move-in is a HUGE advantage!! This year, the early move-ins for Honors Action will be Aug 6-8. We did this last year and had a very good, smooth move-in experience! (I say this because Aug 15-17 will most likely be crazy with traffic and I don’t want it to “scare you off”!) Have a great visit :slight_smile:

I’ve done both: early move-in FR year and regular move-in SO year. Both were a piece of cake. Unless you live under a rock (or come from an unusually small, rural area of the US), you will be familiar with the two seasons in our lives: road construction and winter. The traffic in T-town is much like it is in an urban setting - yes, more of it on move-in weekends and game days, but thoroughly manageable from most people’s perspectives.

Thanks amy9998! We are definitely interested in the Honors College and we didn’t know about the early move in dates!

aeromom Thanks for the information about the traffic - We are in Illinois a few hours south of Chicago and frequently travel there so we’re comfortable with traffic - this sounds very manageable - Glad to know about it in advance though for planning - much appreciated!

In and around the Tuscaloosa area, traffic has never seemed particularly heavy to me, but then again, it took me 2 1/2 hours to travel 46 miles today into the city.

momofcs - I sent you a PM.