Colleges for Materials Science and Engineering

S23 plans to study MSE and is finalizing his list of schools. He should be a strong applicant but given how the landscape has changed recently, it’s hard to know which schools we can consider safeties vs targets or reaches. I’m getting the sense there are very few safeties out there for him in engineering, although I do think he’s a strong applicant. I’m wondering what other schools he should consider. A materials science/engineering major is a requirement (not a minor within ME) and he’d prefer it to be a broad program, not just metallurgy.

He has a 1520 SAT (770 verbal, 750 math), 12 APs including Calculus BC and Physics C:E&M this year, 3.7 UW / 4.2 W GPA. AP scholar with distinction, likely NM commended scholar. State qualifier in choir and debate. 4 year cross country/track team member. Cast member in 2 musicals. 2 year member of the HS a cappella choir. Also plays piano. Well liked by teachers and peers, should have strong LORs.

The current college list (planning to apply to 10-12):

UNT (true safety and the music program is a plus, in state)
TAMU (I think this should be a safety for him but in today’s world, maybe a target, in state)
Colorado School of Mines (target)
Purdue (target)
Virginia Tech (target?)
Drexel (safety)
Ohio State (safety?)
RPI
Case Western
Penn State
NC State (target?)
Clemson (safety?)
Carnegie Mellon (reach/unlikely)
Northwestern (reach/unlikely)

What are we missing? Too many targets and not enough safeties on this list?

There’s lots of safeties for him. Far more than you show.

I’d label RPI a match, Penn State a safety, and move Purdue to reach. CWRU a reach but reachable.

You may need to look at metallurgical and or chemical with a materials concentration.

Are you seeking cheaper cost ?

If so Alabama, UAH, and Miss State (certificate) are safety and cheap. Minnesota another solid low target, likely.

I think it’s a balanced list and your safeties likely work as will some targets. But if another safety gives comfort or if cost matters, look at Bama, UAH. Arizona won’t be as cheap due to GPA but is one and a safety. The ones I mentioned will also get you a quick response to take the ‘admission’ pressure off if any work for you.

Ps I didn’t account for music.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Georgia Tech has a strong MSE program. Worth a look, IMO.

1 Like

Did you already look over the list of ABET accredited programs in the materials engineering category? That’s one way to see if you are missing any. You probably already checked this, but if not, here’s a link (hope this works): https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category-search?disciplines=47

I did not know about that list, thank you!!

1 Like

Here is a list of ABET accredited materials engineering programs in the US:
https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category-search?disciplines=47&countries=US

Interestingly, according to the above link and the following link, Texas A&M materials engineering does not have ABET accreditation:

It is apparently in the process of seeking ABET accreditation:
https://engineering.tamu.edu/materials/about/accreditation.html

In the ABET list, there are some obvious admission safeties like the Arizona publics, New Mexico Tech, and UTEP. Would these be affordable?

None of the above shows up in the ABET list for materials engineering.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes, TAMU is in the process of seeking ABET accreditation. We visited with the department head recently and they are putting a lot of resources behind that effort. It’s a newer program but I’m not concerned about that. More importantly, S23 doesn’t really want to go there but I insist that he have solid in-state options so it’s on the list. I consider TAMU to be a stronger program than UNT even if UNT currently has the accreditation. Maybe I’m biased since I’m an Aggie.

Cal Poly is worth a look. Some of their engineering majors like ME, AE, CompE and CS are very competitive. MateE isn’t. It’s no reflection on the quality of the program, just the popularity of the major. They have great facilities, are in an idyllic location and will be under $200K full pay.

I’d also give Iowa State a tire kick. They have long had a strong reputation for educating undergrads.

3 Likes

You didn’t mention cost consideration, or whether he is open to looking westward. Cal Poly SLO Materials Engineering program has a rather high admit rate compared to the rest of the College of Engineering and the campus itself.

@GumbyMom is a much better source, but my back-of-envelope calculation puts the admit rate at 82% (60 slots for 220 apps in 2021 - assume 33% yield, so admits could be ~180 out of the 220.) I’m not sure of the OOS entrance parameters that may make this harder.

The curriculum covers a fair amount of non-crystalline materials (polymers, ceramics, composites.)

2 Likes

The ABET list shows only three in Texas:

• UNT: automatic admission for 3.0 GPA or various other rank and SAT criteria.
  • UTEP: automatic admission for top half rank or 920 SAT.
  • Rice: not a safety

Cost constraints?

TAMU and UNT will be his in state options. UNT > UTEP and UNT is a solid safety.

We can likely cover a $45k/year minimum. It’s a moving target and something we’ll discuss more this spring. He knows it’s a factor. He’s also talked about doing a co-op and helping to pay so he can possibly supplement whatever we set as our budget.

If you went the Bama / UAH rate (and you have to check the curriculum to find that “match” within other majors), you would be under $20K - only reason I through those out. I saw UAB pop up on that list.

At $45K, you might check out Florida too.

Off the list itself and for safety, Auburn will be under, Arizona State, Iowa State (noted by our favorite eye dr.) and UTK could work. Others will have it as part of another major.

From a cost POV, I’d take off (or sub) Va Tech and School of Mines as well as Penn State. No reason to go over budget in this field when there’s plenty of affordable substitutes. If he gets a co op, let him keep the $ for him instead of tuition.

I know you said that’s a minimum - but honestly that’s a great # even for a maximum…if you wanted it to be.

Best of luck.

I.e. you have told him that $45k per year is the worst case of what you will contribute, so that he (or you) can compare net price calculator results and net-of-merit-scholarship prices to that benchmark before applying?

Colorado School of Mines, but it may not be in your price range.

My son and his wife are both MSE grads.

Lots of safeties out there.

Colorado School of Mines
New Mexico Tech
Missouri S and T
Michigan Tech
Akron has a good plastics program

I will say this. Find a school that has a larger MSE department. We found that some great ranked schools had small MSE departments. The best schools are those with the best recruitment department. Employers know which schools they want to find MSE employees from. They aren’t necessarily the schools you first think of.

Also unfortunately we found that even though MSE has far reaching applications, metallurgy was by far the emphasis

1 Like

My D is a chem E w/a polymers and materials concentration at Purdue. They have a great MSE program! I’m happy to answer any Purdue specific questions that you or your son may have.

I do agree that Purdue a reach these days. The average UW GPA for incoming engineers is a 3.9. That said Purdue loves to see high rigor and Calc BC and Physics C is a bit plus, especially if those grades are As.

Be sure to meet the EA deadline of 11/1. Purdue fills nearly the whole class in EA.

OSU is definitely not a safety for engineering and OOS.

RPI would be a target but not sure if they’ll come in under your budget. Did your child’s HS nominate him for the RPI Medal?

FWIW, I don’t think you need that many safeties.

I also think you have some very, very different schools on this list. Northwestern’s engineering program couldn’t be any different than Purdue’s. If your son likes the big school feel, I’d switch out NU for Michigan although neither are going to be anywhere close to $45K/year unless you qualify for need based aid.

CMU is its own animal. Also won’t be anywhere close to budget.

1 Like

This should be less true at any of the major research universities. Lots of forward-looking materials are being developed, for example, at UCB. Yes, a Super Reach and very pricey for oos, but using it as an example. Even in the olden days, undergrads were involved in non-metallurgic work up at Lawrence Berkeley Lab, and the MSE department was rather small at the time. The undergrad curriculum was not metallurgy-focused.

eta: The UCB MSE department is still rather small, reporting 132 undergrads (less than SLO!). As in the old days, a decent number of those (53) are double-majors.

I was thinking more about job opportunities than university emphasis. My son found it hard to be considered for more than metallurgy when job hunting. Maybe it’s the area of the country he’s in. MSE is a small field, at least in his experience.

My husband and daughter are mechanicals. Recruiters are more familiar with their field.

Ah, good point about area of the country for job prospects. I didn’t see OP comment about what kind of work the student wants to get into. Just wants to study MSE. That may be a good item to clarify for further pointers.

He’s not sure what kind of work he wants to do, which is why he doesn’t want a program that just does metals. Mines, Purdue, VA Tech, and TAMU all boasted about their career fairs and have larger programs (I think around 150-200 undergrads). I’m also encouraging him to consider grad school.

1 Like