Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Wow, that stinks! My daughter’s best friend is a sophomore at Quinnipiac, stayed home in the fall to save some money (plus was nervous), but is going back for the spring. University of Delaware only let 1200 students on campus, is letting about 5000 back in the spring, but students choosing to stay home aren’t made to pay r & b.

1 Like

CDC researchers found that counties which had in person college instruction saw a 56% rise in covid during August. However there was a 17% decrease where there was remote learning and a 5% decrease where there were no colleges.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/07/health/covid-19-cases-counties-universities-cdc-study-wellness/index.html

3 Likes

That is egregious of Quinnipiac, making students pay room and board who are choosing to be fully remote at home. Who would want to pay that?

4 Likes

News reports from CT today, 2 cases of the UK variant, both in 15-25 yr old age group, in New Haven County, who were not connected in any way. One recently returned from Ireland, the other from NY state. Are these most likely students?

Not sure if you were speaking to me and QU specifically. The only students on campus right now are J term students. It’s possible though. There are quite a few colleges in the area (Southern, Yale, Univ of New Haven, Albertus Magnus) so it could be a student from one of those as well.

It’s really bad out there right now in most communities and if these kids come to college and continue there poor social distancing things will get worse.

As cheesy is this is going to sound, to combat this virus we need to realise that we are all connected. It can’t just be the wealthy schools and companies who are able to aggressively test its community’s.

It’s either all of us or it might as well be none of us.

The student from a poor large state school is using the same public transport, shops, and hairdressers as the one from the tiny elite private in the same city snd the cleaner in a Covid full hospital.

7 Likes

My son had Covid back in October at school. Before Christmas my husband, myself and daughter (only other people in family/household) tested positive for Covid with symptoms. Our son tested negative and did not get sick. I decided to have him get tested for antibodies and it showed none! However, with the multiple exposure he had to all three of us who were sick he must have retained some immunity in spite of no antibodies evident.

Rice just notified the students that while classes will continue to start on 1/25, they will be remote until 2/15. They reported that approximately 25% of all their positive cases since they started testing on campus five months ago occurred in the last two weeks alone. It’s mostly been staff, but grad students seem to have had a high positivity rate as well. This increase was while there was almost no activity on campus. All of the infections were traced to off-campus activities over the winter recess.

They also reported they have applied to the state to receive vaccines for all students and staff and are hopeful they will receive it in February.

1 Like

The students will get vaccines that quickly? Ahead of other groups?

1 Like

Some states are including college students along with other congregant living situations.

2 Likes

Which states are doing that? Just curious.

Don’t know, I had just read that somewhere.

Both of my kids’ colleges have said they are working on getting vaccines for the students second semester, but who knows whether that will happen. Some colleges are also applying to be vaccine distribution centers (like someone mentioned above about Rice), the idea being they would vaccinate everyone on campus (staff and students).

1 Like

wow! by Feb! I wonder what that changes on campus. Will they increase in-person classes? Eating indoors? Would that mean they might be able to start having tours for admitted students?

A friend just told me Tulane is planning the vaccinating their students.

My prediction is it won’t change anything because if they open up campuses they’ll have to open up the country at large. That doesn’t seem very popular with the “experts”. They’re still wondering if the vaccine even prevents transmission.

3 Likes

Hm. I sense pushback on that since parents have been paying for remote classes and are ready to move away from that asap. If faculty and students are vaccinated, they should meet in person. They can make sure that only students enter the classrooms.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right!

2 Likes

Heath care workers who have been vaccinated are being told to continue the standard infection control procedures as if they haven’t been vaccinated because they could still be carriers and there is still a chance that they could still get it. Until a critical mass of the population has been vaccinated there won’t be much change to protocol.

3 Likes

But isn’t that different for a small or medium college where all or almost all kids live on campus? If all faculty, staff and students have been vaccinated, I see no reason why class shouldn’t be in person.

1 Like